Where to get summer sausage made near Raleigh?

I need some help. I cant make the runs to Stancils any more. I live in Raleigh and don't mind driving for good summer sausage. Any recommendations around the triangle would be a huge help. I like giving venison to co-workers, friends and family during the holidays and am looking for a new goto spot. Thank you for any and all recommendations.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pearce's in Louisburg. He makes a lot of different types of stuff including sausage, and he told me last week that he was making summer sausage as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
Closer by is Country Butchers at 3700 Hopkins Chapel Rd off 96 north of Zebulon. 919-269-2000 Open nites 'til 9:30, They do a good job on summer saugage, Bill

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Tried both mentioned above. I prefer Country Butcher and have been using them for about 15 years now. You have to cook it yourself though, but that's easy.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Norman's Deer Processing. I've not tried the others, but his is quite good. Am trying some salami and bologna as soon as mine gets processed.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
If you want to try yourself here is a good recipe (you can alter ingredients to your personal taste). These do not require a casing.

2 lbs. ground beef (or venison) (makes 2 rolls)
1 tbsp. liquid smoke
¾ cup water
1/8 tsp. Garlic powder
2 tbsp. Morton Tender Quick (no substitutions!)- you can order this online if you can't find it locally
1 tsp. Mustard seed
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper

Mix ingredients well and form into 2 rolls. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap (spin & roll on counter to make smooth rolls) then wrap in foil and refrigerate for 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350, remove logs from plastic & put back in foil, poke holes in foil to allow draining and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees (I use a broiler pan to collect juices). An alternate cooking method would be to cook on smoker but the oven works just fine. After 1 hour remove from foil and let them cool and drain & rewrap in plastic wrap/foil for storage. These freeze very well.

If you have a large mixer it is easy to use the dough hook for mixing large batches. I do 4# per mix with ease using my wife's big Sunbeam stand mixer.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Pearce's in Louisburg. He makes a lot of different types of stuff including sausage, and he told me last week that he was making summer sausage as well.

That guy about turned my family off from eating deer.
Way too much hair and bone in the few he did for me.

Big thing you did not get Your deer back.
Look in his cooler. He had big containers marked to what it was and handed you back out of those.
Maybe he changed but who knows.
Seen first hand people drop deer and say all they wanted was backstraps and tenderloin. He went back and got a few packs if meat and said here I will save you a trip back...Already packed and frozen. .

Not what I want for the money.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That guy about turned my family off from eating deer.
Way too much hair and bone in the few he did for me.

Big thing you did not get Your deer back.
Look in his cooler. He had big containers marked to what it was and handed you back out of those.
Maybe he changed but who knows.
Seen first hand people drop deer and say all they wanted was backstraps and tenderloin. He went back and got a few packs if meat and said here I will save you a trip back...Already packed and frozen. .

Not what I want for the money.

I've been "in the back" of the processing house at Pearce's, I've seen nothing to suggest that I've ever gotten back anything but the deer I've brought in. He's never handed me meat out of some general-purpose bin. The only times I've ever gotten "someone else's deer" is when I ask him to save me a bunch of deer ribs for my dog.

If he's giving people backstraps / tenderloin to save them a trip and they're ok with that, I'd say that's good customer service.

I've been "in the back" of the processing house at Pearce's, I've seen nothing to suggest that I've ever gotten back anything but the deer I've brought in. He's never handed me meat out of some general-purpose bin. The only times I've ever gotten "someone else's deer" is when I ask him to save me a bunch of deer ribs for my dog.

If he's giving people backstraps / tenderloin to save them a trip and they're ok with that, I'd say that's good customer service.

Same here. I've never seen anything there that would believe me to believe that I wasn't getting my deer back. I've also seen him turn away a guy that brought in a quartered deer that had hair all over it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe he changed who knows.
Two deer done there and full of hair and on the second trip I found what I stated.
enough for me and others that seen some of the same not to go back.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

So if you drop a deer and he hands somone frozen straps is that not someone elses deer?

were they yours or mine? They belong to someone other than the person that dropped a deer with in the same time range.

he said on a weekend that he gets a large number of deer in each weekend.
takes about 2 weeks is what he said.
about 25 to 50 a weekend at peak season.

Go ask to see 30 to 50 different pans, boxes or tubs of deer with an ID or name on them...
He never had it. Not at the time.
That may have been before wildlife cracked down on them.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I used pierces once.. ONCE. 20 years ago.

I also will NOT use that place on hwy 70 going towards Smithfield East of Raleigh. Never tried it, but talked to people who have and told me flat out "no".

After reading this, since Stancils (whom I think is awesome), is so far away, BUT, accepts frozen quarters, I ponder if a bunch of us Raleigh folks shouldn't consider grouping together after the season and making one run down, and one run back?

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve been using Country Butcher for over ten years. He does require you to gut and skin your own deer. I have no problem with that.

I had him make summer sausage out of my first deer this year. Took some to my office. People loved it. It is great.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So if you drop a deer and he hands somone frozen straps is that not someone elses deer?

were they yours or mine? They belong to someone other than the person that dropped a deer with in the same time range.

he said on a weekend that he gets a large number of deer in each weekend.
takes about 2 weeks is what he said.
about 25 to 50 a weekend at peak season.

Go ask to see 30 to 50 different pans, boxes or tubs of deer with an ID or name on them...
He never had it. Not at the time.
That may have been before wildlife cracked down on them.
I can only speak to my experience; been taking 3 - 6 deer a year there for the last 10 years, and I know I'm getting back the deer I dropped off.

I didn't mean to hijack the OP'S thread, so let's just let it go.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep sorry for the hijacked thread.

I do hope he changed or I was just there the wrong time.

What does he get now.
Both mine were 75 to 85$
at the time.
not bad for a full deer just dropped off.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep sorry for the hijacked thread.

I do hope he changed or I was just there the wrong time.

What does he get now.
Both mine were 75 to 85$
at the time.
not bad for a full deer just dropped off.

I've had two done there so far this season. $115 for a 200 lb buck ground for burger and $100 for a 140 lb buck done in Italian sausage. (His prices did go up).