My first antlered buck

george426f

Four Pointer
After a 4 year slump of no deer in the freezer I finally got it done on Friday. Got out of work around noon and went home loaded up my stuff and went out to the woods. I had an odd but good feeling that it was going to be a productive afternoon. I was hunting a small patch of gamelands in madison county that I have seen a lot of deer sign and also deer on. I've just not been in the right place at the right time. Walking up a long steep hill I was getting lazy. I thought a couple times to just stop and find a spot to sit there but then I told myself to keep climbing that the people that put in the extra work reap the rewards. So I got to the top and set up on the ground around 2:30. Around 3:00 I saw movement down the hill, then I saw the rack. It was a nice 8 with quite a bit of mass to it. It wandered my way a little then something farther down the hill caused it to turn around and go back the other way. Sat there for another while and just as the sun was going down over the ridge I saw a silhouette of a doe. It was coming straight to me then about 20ft up the hill from it was a buck! I've only killed a doe and button buck in all my 7 years sitting in the woods so I was pretty pumped to see antlers. The doe was coming straight towards me and spotted me but didn't bolt right away she stomped a few times then buck chased her a little closer. Then she stomped some more and turned away. The buck was following her and I knew it was now or never for that buck. The shot was a little farther away than I would have wanted at about 40-45 yards. But I practice at that range often and have good groupings. The shot was quartering away, I took it. In the excitement I must have pulled left trying to get my bow out of the way to watch the lighted knock fly (I never do that when practicing, I always hold aim until the arrow hits) I heard the arrow hit and see the buck run off with the arrow in the back of the thigh. As it was running you could see the back of its leg getting very red so I thought there was a good chance I got the artery. Got over to the spot of the hit and there was some pretty decent blood, but within 30 feet from there it started to look like a horror movie tracked it around the ridge about 40yds and bumped it, it ran about 70 more yards I saw it go down and roll down the hill behind some trees I told my self I wasn't moving for 15 min to let it bleed out. Went to were a last saw it and it was just behind the trees expired. Super excited to end the slump. Kind of disappointed in myself for the bad shot but the good lord helped guide that arrow for a lethal hit. Now to get back out there and find that big 8

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 390

lbksmom

Banned
Congrats, that is a very lethal shot with the bow, a lot of arteries back there. Maybe things will brighten up for you and not have another long slump!

george426f

Four Pointer
Thanks guys, it's nice to have a freezer full of meat. Got it done just before western rifle season started. I only hunt public land and I tend to stay out of the woods around here during rifle season.(bunch of crazies out there that would shoot at anything). I was excited to hear the news that they are putting archery season back in after gun until the end of the year, so I'll probably get some more time in the woods in a couple weeks. Hopefully my luck stays with me.