Beaver

Gilly

Ten Pointer
I have at least one beaver in the pond on my hunting property. I want to get rid of him but not sure what to do with him. A pelt would be cool but does anyone know of a place that would make something for my wife? Gloves, muff, headband, etc. What can be made from one beaver?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have at least one beaver in the pond on my hunting property. I want to get rid of him but not sure what to do with him. A pelt would be cool but does anyone know of a place that would make something for my wife? Gloves, muff, headband, etc. What can be made from one beaver?
Bobcat bait.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you shoot it in the water, it will most likely sink and become turtle food. It may float back up in a few days but will be worthless by then.

If you trap it, then you have to skin, flesh, stretch and dry and then get it tanned before even considering making something out of it. It is doable but most folks do not have the tools or the know how to catch it or get it ready for tanning. A local trapper might be your best bet. Here is how you can find a trapper: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/Contact-a-Licensed-Trapper

Fill in you county and beaver to get a list.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I guess it is a sign of the times that you called it a "him". Back in the day they were all female, these days you can't tell what plumbing they have.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I guess it is a sign of the times that you called it a "him". Back in the day they were all female, these days you can't tell what plumbing they have.

That beaver might identify as a cougar for all you know. Can't assume anything.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Tip I guess you're right. All they have to do is state what they are.

Mack are you going to use bait to try and trap it ( maybe I shouldn't of asked that :skeerd:)

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Oldie right probably more than one. Trapping works well if find places they using regular. If made a dam that’s easy spot, foot size hole and place trap in front semi-submerged, getm when checking. They make great yote bait, couple 16d nails and nail to tree by tail. Bout 3’ off ground, after couple days post up on it and they’ll show.

Nice beaver..... thanks I just had it stuffed.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I only WISH my wife was even the least bit interested in beaver :( .

I've seen some pelts strecthed that seemed imho big enough for a purse. Obviously waterproof. I also attended the NC state wild game cookoff and there were at least 2 dishes which included beaver, that were very tasty. My wife even told me how much........nevermind. But the next beaver I shoot or kill cleanly, I'm going to eat!

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Back when I first started messing with them they all seemed to have nice thick pelts but as years passed they still seem prime but guard hairs are almost none existing. My guess is global warming. If handled and cleaned properly they do make excellent eating.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back when I first started messing with them they all seemed to have nice thick pelts but as years passed they still seem prime but guard hairs are almost none existing. My guess is global warming. If handled and cleaned properly they do make excellent eating.
That right there is funny!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
The house beaver may use a cleaver to lop off the beaver poker if you venture out chasing young wild beavers.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
1 beaver is just enough for me...only trouble is, it gets angry for a week at time!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Let me know if you need some assistance with your beaver problem. I had a large dream catcher made out of a large beaver pelt last year it turned out pretty sharp.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Dan and Todd and Harold are some of the best trappers in NC and are all on the Granville County list.

If you want either of their #'s, just let me know.

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Do any of you know somebody that works Cabarrus county? I have a beaver in my pond that I would love to get rid of. I just chased him around the yard this morning trying to get a shot but too many houses across the pond. I been told he will clog the pipe under my driveway and flood it over night...I'm not taking that risk..he has got to go. I see several on the list for my county but none local that I can tell.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
www.ncwildlife.org is where to find a trapper in your county.
click on Trapping then Trapping NC,
then Contact a Licensed Trapper and click on your county and species-beaver.

Last edited:

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My 15 year old just come in from hunting and said he had a beaver problem. I just bust out laughing because of our post on here. My wife told him to google them to learn about them I just can't take it.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
My 15 year old just come in from hunting and said he had a beaver problem. I just bust out laughing because of our post on here. My wife told him to google them to learn about them I just can't take it.

Lol... if he follows suit as all of us, "beaver problems" will haunt him the rest of his life