This Dann Yankee Loves NC

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had my nephew over who stayed the weekend on his trip to Ashville with his girlfriend. He's a police officer in NJ and was shocked that I had my LCP .380 in my back pocket while showing them Old Salem. He was paranoid about carrying his G43 the whole time. He kept asking me if I was legal and that he could see the top of my pistol. I explained to him that every other person was probably carrying as well. About 2 minutes later, a man in front of us with 2 young kids bent down and we could see his holstered sidearm. My nephew was shocked. I'm glad I moved to America!

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
"Frog in the Pot" conditioning, is all I can figure.

Though it doesn't explain why it happens more in some areas than others. It MAY be due to the influx of immigrants who aren't used to liberty, therefore, they don't guard it like folks who do understand.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
"Frog in the Pot" conditioning, is all I can figure.

Though it doesn't explain why it happens more in some areas than others. It MAY be due to the influx of immigrants who aren't used to liberty, therefore, they don't guard it like folks who do understand.
The most conservative folks I've met in NJ are the Cuban and Russian immigrants. My grandfather came to America in 1969 and he was French and Italian. He was a POW in Nazi camp and that man loved America. I remember being a kid and watching this hard man crying tears of joy for Ronald Reagan. Unfortunately, most of the liberals I know in the northeast aren't the immigrants, it's the blacks and guilty minded whites who have checked their privilege. My parents are immigrants from Argentina and I love and cherish my Liberty. That's why I refused to raise my children in a communist state.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Kind of had the same experience here locally this weekend. The wife got a new shiny Tiffany blue glock a couple months ago. She hasnt got her CCW permit yet but she occasionally will open carry when she goes places by herself. Saturday night we made a semi late run to the grocery store so she clipped it on her hip on the way out. While in the store two younger girls who were stinking of just smoking weed were behind us in line. They were paranoid to say the least. I could over hear them whispering if maybe my wife was law enforcement, contemplating circling the store again to get away from her, and comments about how its illegal to carry a gun in a store, etc. It really shocked them when we the store manager came by and complemented the color choice on her pistol.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Dangit Colekira!! Tell your nephew to be HUSH about this place! But tell him they are both welcome to move down here! Maybe we can transport 3 back in their place lol.

The fear of gun's agenda runs rampant along the nothern seashore.

I need to talk to you soon in person if that's possible. Been a while.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
It's been my experience that folks from Europe can't wrap their brain around our liberty, and, like so many liberals from our north, want to "change things" to the way they were in the places they claim to have wanted to ESCAPE from!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I work for a lot of Yankees and even though you may hear them make a smart :donk:donk:donk comment about southerners and the south. They all agree that life is a hell of a lot better down here than where they came from.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It's been my experience that folks from Europe can't wrap their brain around our liberty, and, like so many liberals from our north, want to "change things" to the way they were in the places they claim to have wanted to ESCAPE from!

When I first moved here, one of my new coworkers asked me;
"Did you bring your liberal NJ politics down here with you?"
I said ; "NO! I just brought my guns and ammo."
He looked at me funny for about 10 seconds or so then said; "I think we're gonna get along just fine"

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy

Europeans are far worse than yankees. Far Far worse!! Not even the same ball park. They don't event think their cops should have guns.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
When you have to fight for your freedoms like we have they are more precious. We wrestled this nation from the English, French, Spanish, Native Americans, Mexicans and from Mother Nature. Many of the Northerners are second and third generation and don't know what it is to have struggled for those liberties like the Southerners did.

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
When you have to fight for your freedoms like we have they are more precious. We wrestled this nation from the English, French, Spanish, Native Americans, Mexicans and from Mother Nature. Many of the Northerners are second and third generation and don't know what it is to have struggled for those liberties like the Southerners did.

Amen Brother

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Gotta respectfully disagree with you there.

You can't paint all Northerners with such a broad brush; you might be surprised to learn that most folks in upper New England, upstate NY, the upper peninsular of Michigan and Wisconsin have a lot more in common with the Southern way of living then you realize.

And as far as fighting for your freedoms, I'll just quote New Hampshire's motto; "Live Free Or Die".

What you're describing is the piece of ground from Massachusetts, Connecticut, NYC & NJ. That I'll agree, is "hell on earth".

robertc

Eight Pointer
Kind of had the same experience here locally this weekend. The wife got a new shiny Tiffany blue glock a couple months ago. She hasnt got her CCW permit yet but she occasionally will open carry when she goes places by herself. Saturday night we made a semi late run to the grocery store so she clipped it on her hip on the way out. While in the store two younger girls who were stinking of just smoking weed were behind us in line. They were paranoid to say the least. I could over hear them whispering if maybe my wife was law enforcement, contemplating circling the store again to get away from her, and comments about how its illegal to carry a gun in a store, etc. It really shocked them when we the store manager came by and complemented the color choice on her pistol.
My wife fell in love with the Kimber Bel Air with the blue frame. It was going to be a Christmas present until she made me agree to a price limit. The Glock 42 in the angel blue looks like will fit the ticket. Glock also has a Fire/EMS program where you can purchase below some dealers cost. Since I'm in the fire service and she is s paramedic that program is perfect. I hope you wife enjoys her Glock but never is put in the position to have to use it. Always good to know its there when you need it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i hate to say it but the term damn yankees has passed away to be replaced with a far harsher term, one that begins with an F.

native NCers have been pushed out, out voted, out numbered, out shouted by northern immigrants. for every Colkeria you have fifty wanting to run NC to their standards.

it is really bad in the west and east. it's a lost cause in the piedmont.

welcome, Colekira, but there are still those of us with an anti yankee bias.

our experience does not give us reason to welcome.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
My wife fell in love with the Kimber Bel Air with the blue frame. It was going to be a Christmas present until she made me agree to a price limit. The Glock 42 in the angel blue looks like will fit the ticket. Glock also has a Fire/EMS program where you can purchase below some dealers cost. Since I'm in the fire service and she is s paramedic that program is perfect. I hope you wife enjoys her Glock but never is put in the position to have to use it. Always good to know its there when you need it.

She loves hers, only problem I had to work with her on limp wristing. Me shooting it never had a failure to eject, but about every tenth shot she would loosen her wrist just enough that it wouldnt eject the round completely. She's put in quite a few hours on the range since then. Her form is way better now, and she's more confident.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robertc

Eight Pointer
She loves hers, only problem I had to work with her on limp wristing. Me shooting it never had a failure to eject, but about every tenth shot she would loosen her wrist just enough that it wouldnt eject the round completely. She's put in quite a few hours on the range since then. Her form is way better now, and she's more confident.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Practice makes perfect but it will cost the crap out of you in ammo.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

Yeah? I'd like to see you tell that to my Grandfather and see if you walked away. His parents left Europe after having their lands confiscated. He returned to Europe in 1944 carrying an M1 Garand and came back with enough shrapnel in his knee that he couldn't ever walk real far again. I can guarantee you he had a much clearer understanding of what liberty mean than most of us ever will. He certainly had a much clearer idea of it than the other side of my family, that came over 3-400 years ago did.

So can it with the "I've been here since Columbus marooned my greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat granddaddy" shtick.

Last edited:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Gotta respectfully disagree with you there.

You can't paint all Northerners with such a broad brush; you might be surprised to learn that most folks in upper New England, upstate NY, the upper peninsular of Michigan and Wisconsin have a lot more in common with the Southern way of living then you realize.

And as far as fighting for your freedoms, I'll just quote New Hampshire's motto; "Live Free Or Die".

What you're describing is the piece of ground from Massachusetts, Connecticut, NYC & NJ. That I'll agree, is "hell on earth".

I did say "many of the Northerners", not being all inclusive and only singled out the Southerners because we are in the South and most reading this can relate. I'm very familiar with the efforts of the earlier residents of the NE and what they sacrificed while settling that area and during the French and Indian wars and then with the Revolution. I was conceived in Ticonderoga, NY where my family lived during WWII, then we moved to NH, Vermont and finally Maine before coming back to NC so I've a connection and appreciation for all the struggles involved in that area. Rural NY State probably has more rednecks than NC and is very pro gun.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Yeah? I'd like to see you tell that to my Grandfather and see if you walked away. His parents left Europe after having their lands confiscated. He returned to Europe in 1944 carrying an M1 Garand and came back with enough shrapnel in his knee that he couldn't ever walk real far again. I can guarantee you he had a much clearer understanding of what liberty mean than most of us ever will. He certainly had a much clearer idea of it than the other side of my family, that came over 3-400 years ago did.

So can it with the "I've been here since Columbus marooned my greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat granddaddy" shtick.

Not trying to speak for anybody here, but you do realize than many "Northerners" are considered those straight out of NYC, Bahstan, New Joisy, etc. The HEAVILY populated areas that so many strive to eventually leave, a lucky few do, then come down here, and our perceived observance of their mentality once they get here is "well, this isn't how we did things up North". Lol

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We've already hashed this thing out on here once time before. We pretty much determined its more of an urban vs. rural thing than yankee vs. southerner. In most cases, rural "Yankees" and rural southerners have much more similar mindsets than rural southerners and bit city southerners do.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We've already hashed this thing out on here once time before. We pretty much determined its more of an urban vs. rural thing than yankee vs. southerner. In most cases, rural "Yankees" and rural southerners have much more similar mindsets than rural southerners and bit city southerners do.

Well said. That's been my experience as well.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Not trying to speak for anybody here, but you do realize than many "Northerners" are considered those straight out of NYC, Bahstan, New Joisy, etc. The HEAVILY populated areas that so many strive to eventually leave, a lucky few do, then come down here, and our perceived observance of their mentality once they get here is "well, this isn't how we did things up North". Lol
I get that. And it makes me roll my eyes when I hear that “well on Long Island we used to...”

And I get the rural vs urban thing too.

But Blackwaters comment implies that southerners have a greater sense of liberty, what it means to be free since someone in their family 150 years ago shoveled Travellers $#|+ at Appomattox.

I have ancestors that fought on both sides of the civil war and that fought in the Revolution and some that came over in the 20th century. I will promise you that anyone that has come to our shores escaping the business end of a Mosin Nagant collectivizing their farm, or fleeing a pissant dictator’s secret police force interrogations regarding a joke you were overheard making, or who has been forced to choose between supporting a communist or a King, has a much more acute sense of how fortunate we are in this country.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think a big part of the reason that southerners think MOST yankees are that way is this:

Rural people as a rule will grow up, live, and die within 30 minutes of the town where they were born. Rural northerners pretty much stay where they are at (same as southerners) - they aren't the ones moving down here. The yankees moving here are mostly those from the cities who are moving to our urban and suburban areas for jobs and cheap real estate. Others are moving here, mostly to the coast and the mountains, in retirement because they don't like the taxes and can't take the cold. They vacationed here at some point in their life and thought, "We should move there when we retire."

Very few are rural folks who left their family farm up north to come here to live the same life. Every northerner who comes on here touting how country and down to earth their fellow kinsman are are missing one major point - by and large we aren't getting your best, we are getting your worst. We are getting the "D Yankees". In fairness, if we sent you all our city-dwellers, folks up north would probably think the same thing about us.

EDIT: When I say worst, I mean that culturally, those yankees are definitely bringing big yankee money with them.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think a big part of the reason that southerners think MOST yankees are that way is this:

Rural people as a rule will grow up, live, and die within 30 minutes of the town where they were born. Rural northerners pretty much stay where they are at (same as southerners) - they aren't the ones moving down here. The yankees moving here are mostly those from the cities who are moving to our urban and suburban areas for jobs and cheap real estate. Others are moving here, mostly to the coast and the mountains, in retirement because they don't like the taxes and can't take the cold. They vacationed here at some point in their life and thought, "We should move there when we retire."

Very few are rural folks who left their family farm up north to come here to live the same life. Every northerner who comes on here touting how country and down to earth their fellow kinsman are are missing one major point - by and large we aren't getting your best, we are getting your worst. We are getting the "D Yankees". In fairness, if we sent you all our city-dwellers, folks up north would probably think the same thing about us.

EDIT: When I say worst, I mean that culturally, those yankees are definitely bringing big yankee money with them.

Pretty much true...I married one and her family doesn't qualify as urbanites...and they are as yankee as anyone could possibly be with the liberalism and closed mindedness almost dripping off of them. I think it's a generally northern mindset for those that are dependent on others..true ruralites tend to be self sufficient and more conservative, regardless of their location in the USA.