300 WSM From a 20" Barrel

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Been looking at a Remington Model 7 stainless, is 300 WSM. Forgetting about recoil and the incredible amount of muzzle blast, what would that do to velocity? I'd love to have such a handy rifle, but wouldn't that short of a barrel put it more on par with a 30-06 or 308 load?

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would think it would be on par with those two out of 24-26" barrels. Most factory 308s and 30-06 come in 22" lengths....so you are probably still doing better if you have the right powder.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I would think it would be on par with those two out of 24-26" barrels. Most factory 308s and 30-06 come in 22" lengths....so you are probably still doing better if you have the right powder.

That's true. I already have a couple fast powders I've experimented with, because I have a 308 with a 20" barrel and I can get speeds very close to what would normally shoot out of a 22"

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Barrel length is negligible on velocity. Can’t remember the exact number but the difference between a 20 inch barrel and 22 is not much at all. I had a model 7 in 300 rsaum that is a project gun for me. I chopped the barrel to 20 inches and will get it cerrakoted and dropped in a nice Caron fiber stock and put a fixed 6 power scope on it and use it as a woods rifle and lightweight pack gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Barrel length is negligible on velocity. Can’t remember the exact number but the difference between a 20 inch barrel and 22 is not much at all. I had a model 7 in 300 rsaum that is a project gun for me. I chopped the barrel to 20 inches and will get it cerrakoted and dropped in a nice Caron fiber stock and put a fixed 6 power scope on it and use it as a woods rifle and lightweight pack gun.

How do you like 6 power scopes for woods use? I've been looking at a fixed power to replace the scope on my BLR and can't decide between 4 or 6

ka30270

Six Pointer
I can tell you that the WSM line of calibers were designed with a 21" barrel in mind. Most of the first offerings years ago were only in the Brownings and Winchester rifles which sported 21" barrels even with the B.O.S.S. You could purchase the WSM calibers in a 26" Browning M-1000 Eclipse or the 24" Winchester Coyote which were both heavy barrel rifles. WSM's short fat cartridge design allows more of the powder column to ignite before the projectile exits the casing which increases barrel length efficiency. Handloading with a slower burning powder and a longer barrel can result in greater velocities but that is another story.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
How do you like 6 power scopes for woods use? I've been looking at a fixed power to replace the scope on my BLR and can't decide between 4 or 6

I have an older leupold m8 fixed 6 with a heavy duplex that is probably the best woods scope I have ever seen. I am sure that the high end German fixed powers are great, but that old leupold(probably close to 15 years old or older now) will just flat get it done in the woods. I think that heavy duplex is what makes it so good. Lots of people like the German #4 a lot as well, but I do not like it. I also have several of the super sniper fixed powers and they are great scopes as well, just the reticle is a little thin when it’s one of those dark dreary days in the woods.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I read somewhere that for every inch you lose 50fps. Not sure if thats true but if it is its not enough to notice.

sent from...... Tapatalk

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Been looking at a Remington Model 7 stainless, is 300 WSM. Forgetting about recoil and the incredible amount of muzzle blast, what would that do to velocity? I'd love to have such a handy rifle, but wouldn't that short of a barrel put it more on par with a 30-06 or 308 load?
I have model 700 sp in 300WSM had muzzle brake an glass bedded an trigger worked onI love it doesn't kick anymore than my 270,s I shoot Winchester power max 130 gr shells really work well an group good have killed deer out to 400 yds an as close as15yds put it where it belongs an it will do the job

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk