advice on a .270 load

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i am shooting a load designed for maximum internal damage (winchester sliver tip ballistic 130 grain ) but often fails on a pass through.

i want the blood trail a pass thru will provide . what should i be using?

i dont shoot many rounds so; price isnt a consideration.

if any of you are the worlds best handloaders and want to deal talk to me. :)

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I️ shoot 130 grain Remington core lokts and they work great for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buy a box of Nosler 130gr AccuBonds and try them. The AccuBond bullet has proven to be as accurate as most Ballistic Tips in my rifle while devastating on deer passing through and through even on marginal shots.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001755023/nosler-trophy-grade-ammunition-270-winchester-130-grain-accubond-box-of-20

<>< Fish

I'll second the Nosler AccuBonds.

I've shot deer with both Nosler Ballistic Tips & AccuBonds in my .308 Win, and never failed to have complete pass-throughs with the AccuBonds.

Southern

Ten Pointer
I am reading alot of good things about the Win deer season XP with the larger ballistic tip. Apparently is mushrooms and dumps more energy than alot of older designs and leaves on average a 2.5 in exit wound.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Either the Accubonds or a Partition if you want a pass thru.
Never shot them in a 270 but I have always had good luck with the Hornady Interlock too.

sent from...... Tapatalk

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have been very satisfied with the Barnes TSX rounds and Barnes projectils in general for many years.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I also like Accubonds in my .270. I shoot them in 140. I&#8217;ve also used 140 interlocks and like them a lot as well. Southern mentioned the deer season xp. I used a deer season xp in 270 last year on a doe and it worked well but if you&#8217;re looking for an exit it&#8217;ll likely not exit more than the bt&#8217;s that you&#8217;re using now. If you&#8217;re most concerned about a pass through, traditional cup and core bullets will usually do with a .270 but I&#8217;d be real surprised to see a quality bonded bullet not make it through a deer in a .270.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted with a 270 most of my hunting career and had shot deer, bear, elk and pronghorn with that round. I had tried most every bullet out there and have seen the good, the bad and the downright ugly in regards to bullet performance in the 270. For absolute guaranteed pass thrus with it, I would look no farther then then the 130grn nosler partition. It will open up and go all the way thru most everything I have shot with it. Another good bullet is the Hornady interlock in either 130 or 140 grn. They work great too. If you handload, just drop back 5 or 6 grains on your load and that will help the bullet not expand so violently and come apart and give you a pass thru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have 2 270s. Use Hornady American Whitetail. Since switching I have never not had a pass thru.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Like by guy I have hunted with a .270 for 20 plus years. I have handloaded for it for 10 years. I really like 130s and the partition is the best projectile I have shot. They are pricey though. I would try the Hornady American white tail with the 130 interlock. Just a good cup and core soft point. I settled on the 130 sierra game king. I only had one not pass through. That was on a shoulder shot on a mature 8 point. Anchored him anyway.

Good luck with your .270

klim

Twelve Pointer
I’ve shot Hornady 140 BTSP factory ammo in my 270 ever since I bought it 1997. Every deer i have shot with that load in the shoulder and behind the shoulder I’ve got complete pass through. The deer either DRT or left a blood trail ray charles could follow.

Big Country

Ten Pointer
I think Federal loads a 130gr Sierra game king. I have always got exits with Sierra bullets.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I don't shoot 270 but a friend that I hunt with alot does and I have been amazed at the damage that 150 grain fusions do on a deer. I shoot 30-06 most of the time but my next deer rifle will probably be a 270.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I typically use heavy-for-caliber projectiles as long as the rifling twist is fast enough to stabilize them as they have higher BC than lighter pills. For the many years I shot a .270 my ammo of choice was a 150gr Ballistic tip as it had excellent expansion and more than sufficient penetration, even after hitting bone. I tried the partition for a bit but had a couple of long tracking jobs following double lung shots due to over penetration with minimal expansion. A whitetail is not a "tough" animal requiring a super deep penetrating projectile so I personally prefer expansion over uber penetration...so I reverted back to the 150gr ballistic tip. Nowadays I use the Berger VLD hunting projectile in most all rifle calibers as I prefer as much of the energy a projectile carries to be deposited inside the animal and the VLD does that with flying colors- and is an extremely accurate bullet.

Randy

Ten Pointer
I have used Hornady 130s in almost exclusively in my .270s since the 1970s for everything from elk on down. No complaints ever.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
130 gr Sierra Game King has performed exceptionally well for me from my .270. Those bullets have been around a long, long time. If it ain't broke........

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
130 gr Sierra Game King has performed exceptionally well for me from my .270. Those bullets have been around a long, long time. If it ain't broke........

Lord knows I agree with that strategy. :)

I have killed and recovered every one i ever shot with the winchester load. I had however no clue about it's limitations.

a lack of a blood trail could be a big deal for me. the one saturday was a few yds from it being an issue with zero blood. and that was daylight. a last light deal could indeed be fun.

Now that i know i feel the need to change. Otherwise i would be in fear of losing a hit one. that's no way to hunt.

i sure have learned alot about various rounds. Thanks to all for advice and PM offers.

I appreciate that.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I think Federal loads a 130gr Sierra game king. I have always got exits with Sierra bullets.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ditto. I have tried other bullets and always went back to them. They are loaded in the Premium loads. The only two times I did not have an exit with these bullets. One clipped a green brier 40 yards or so before hitting the deer, which was obvious from the size of the entrance hole. I retraced the shot and found the bullet hit the green brier square. The other was a Texas heart shot, found the bullet between the hide and muscles of the chest.

Another tid bit of info, this load in the Federal Premium clock out of my Rem. 700 ADL with a 22" barrel right at the advertised 3060fps on my chronograph. The Rem. Core-loks were right under 2900 fps. Shot the same day. I know every rifle is/can be different but I still found that very interesting.

Last edited: