Open Water Hunt

britlab64

Six Pointer
The concept from Hunt Test dog to Gun dog in a closed blind was a little struggle for the first couple of birds
BUT
I think Ole Blue
Likes open water duck hunting
650cc07aa95097ae4d77b5cb9623e952.jpg
c5b12292dfa813b0cfde8ba4a411c785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Handsome dog!

They're like children, they don't like sitting still and being quiet sometimes...

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Good job, like it. Not your blind I guess since there’s no dog stand attached? We just built ours and put stands on each end with doors. Able to hunt 2 simultaneously and they can oversee the spread.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Nice shoot. I remember I rarely hunted a blind where my dog couldn't watch the birds. The one time I had no other alternative on an afternoon hunt my dog wined for hours before falling asleep. While sitting there with a buddy I flipped the safety on my gun and damn if that dog didn't jump up like a bat out of hell out of a dead sleep and knock everything over trying to see whatever he could. Dog knew what that sound meant.

britlab64

Six Pointer
Thanks for the replies fellows

No it s not my blind but my buddy's
They rely more on using the boat to retrieve birds

I would have to give up duck hunting if I didn t carry a dog

That's a big part of the hunt for me

My labs have great blind matters or they stay home

As you may know Hunt Test dogs are used to marking off the gun and in calm ponds

So everything was a true blind retrieve
Add the water current and waves
Whole new deal for him
All in all he adapted very well

shurshot

Ten Pointer

As you may know Hunt Test dogs are used to marking off the gun and in calm ponds

Whole new deal for him

Understand completely about not being able to hunt with a dog. I went 2.5 years w/o one and as said, wasn’t close to being the same, especially after almost 4 decades of having them.

Yeah, a lot different environment on blind, open/choppy water retrieves when they’ve never seen those conditions but good hunt test dogs like yours will eventually figure it out. Trust becomes a major factor. ?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

Whole new deal for him

I feel the same way. If I can't bring my dog I'm 50-50 about even wanting to go...

Understand completely about not being able to hunt with a dog. I went 2.5 years w/o one and as said, wasn’t close to being the same, especially after almost 4 decades of having them.

Yeah, a lot different environment on blind, open/choppy water retrieves when they’ve never seen those conditions but good hunt test dogs like yours will eventually figure it out. Trust becomes a major factor. ?
Trust, and a dog with a real drive, will make it happen