Chainsaws

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I second the eye and ear pro. Sorry, it's second nature, and took it for granted, but unfortunately, some don't bother with any PPE.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would first check to see what is locally available....then i would check the warranty. I ended up with echo stuff because its local and the warranty was best

skimmer

Six Pointer
Leaning towards the 271 stihl due to reviews and dealer location. I know the 261 is a much better saw but just can't justify the extra $$ to myself for the amount of use it will see after the lot is done.

shortmag4me

Six Pointer
Leaning towards the 271 stihl due to reviews and dealer location. I know the 261 is a much better saw but just can't justify the extra $$ to myself for the amount of use it will see after the lot is done.
If 8 to 10 inch trees is all your cutting I would go smaller.
I ended up buying a ms290(20 inch bar) years ago cause I wanted more power and bigger is better. But to me now as I'm older I wished I went smaller. The weight of the saw will wear you out and you get complacent as you work and your arms start to drop a accident may happen like it did with me. Working about 6 hour with little water thinning trees I was lucky the saw was slowing to a stop when one of the tooth dug into my pant leg with only a small cut about 2 inches on my leg.
I all ways wear chaps now but also STEEL toe boots is a must. Good luck stay safe

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you go stihl, i would make sure to get a 6pack if their oil to get a 4 year warranty instead of 2 year warranty. Id also stay away from the saws they have with usb connections that plug into the computer. The shops say it is for tuning and i bet it helps a bundle on that, but they can do a lot of things with that. I feel like it is more for warranty claims.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If you go stihl, i would make sure to get a 6pack if their oil to get a 4 year warranty instead of 2 year warranty. Id also stay away from the saws they have with usb connections that plug into the computer. The shops say it is for tuning and i bet it helps a bundle on that, but they can do a lot of things with that. I feel like it is more for warranty claims.

Oil has to be the synthetic oil in silver bottle . Doesn't include the orange bottled oils.

And chain saws only have a 1 year warranty so the six pack of synthetic makes it 2 years. Blowers and trimmers have 2 years so the oil deal gets you 4 years with them but not on saws and hedgetrimmers.

Last edited: