Sons first antlered buck

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
My 13 yr old got his first antlered buck this morning. He didn’t answer the 5:30 wake up call ( late night at Boneyard Archery with his hunter safety shooting team ) and finally walked out the door around 8:00am.

It was windy and I told him to be ready things could happen fast this time of year. He texted me about 20 minutes after he left and said he saw 3 does easing through. I told him to put the phone down and be looking for a buck to follow.

Few minutes after that I hear a gunshot followed by a phone call from him. He said he dropped a buck ( he was just a little excited) I told him to sit tight I was on my way. While I was putting my boots on I hear 2 more shots. I didn’t know what to think....

When I got to him he said the buck tried to get up so he kept shooting. Looks like the right beam was recently broken off. The buck looked healthy minus all the bullet holes. Best I can tell looks like he got liver with the first shot.

This was the same stand he got a doe from Thursday evening with the muzzleloader.
9942d609096878a33896465f211c09a4.jpg

The deer is up above his right shoulder in the first pic.
6805b0ad31af805e58bae33eb57becd2.jpg
bae8b5061b1f56d8c767fa8c7782d15a.jpg

9a1652e091b800018fd41aa58b10e300.jpg

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I bet you can't tell him anything now can you? Congratulations to him.

You’re right about that.... I think the wheels are starting to turn a little bit. I wish I wasn’t as hard headed as I was when my Dad was telling me stuff back in the day.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
Awesome congrats to him!! If it’s a recent break off you might be able to find his antlers in the woods if you do enough searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang he must have hit a car to break that tine or either a bigger buck is around there.
Congrats to him. ;)

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like the rack may have been shot off. looks like the scar on his back in alignment with the break

That’s kinda what I was thinking. The busted part of the beam wasn’t real fresh, he had been rubbing since it broke. While we were skinning didn’t see anymore visible trauma except for the holes Brock put in him.

He had a scar on his brisket and looked like he had been scrapping. I’d like run up on the buck that busted him up if that’s what happened.