Open day Bear PA

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Getting ready to head into the stand next to the house. Last minute scramble when I realized I didn't have a stand. My last SS must have gotten lost in the move. I picked up the last one at the store, a Viper Classic. Just got it together and man, I am either old or these steel ones got heavy. Have a good Co-Worker sitting in the tree I picked and will be headed up the mountain myself. Two Bears on one of our security cameras stealing Wifeys corn stalks off our front porch at dusk. Garbage cans gettting wiped out every week. One is about 3-325 the other a smaller Sow. They bed on the edge of a cliff on private but the camp up there will be at it driving them. The only way down this morning is straight off a cliff, through a narrow trail, or on someone's porch/drive. We have the upper and lower trails and cliffs covered. Now just to pray we don't get overrun by Leaf Peepers/City Tourists. This is Gameland/Park but the Sportsmen lost to local businesses in getting it closed for season.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Jim Thorpe, state wide opened today. Think there is a two day later season too. Saw a nice buck tonight pushing does, a bunch of crashing but pouring rain made it tough, and a baby hare starting to change colors. Pretty productive day. Had a 130+ all season in our yard. Hiking last Saturday and heard something break on the cliffs. Got a text on monday that aNeighborhood kid got him with his bow Saturday afternoon. My Buddy hunting with me was disappointed. I am thrilled for the young man. I was giving my Son a ride to the football game and a Kid was walking down the road with his bow. My Son said he's on the team so must be going to game. It was deer thirty and we had already passed a bunch in yards. If I would have shot him he would be in the antler pile. I sent his Great Uncle the summer pics in velvet I had. I guess I am not that "Mad at them" anymore. Still like seeing bucks but would rather the local kids kill them. Without a doe tag if I am here I will shoot something legal but planning to be in NC.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Carrying my inline since semis not legal still. Just bought a pre-64 model 70 fwt in 308 though so next year will be rolling in style. Fun coming out of the thicket in the pouring rain after having bears in the yard not afraid of you and a Neighbor losing a dog to a 700lber. that they euthanized. I electrical taped the breech and muzzle so was hoping it went boom if confronted again. It's either that or hop off the cliff the trail is on. Not sure the 1000' drop is the better solution. They chased me in the house a few weeks ago but were really just after the thanksgiving corn stalks my Wife put out. I hope someone gets them. Tired of picking up my garbage strewn everywhere. Never seen bears so aggressive to house dogs or tolerant of humans but I don't think many hunt them here.

Last edited:

reds1

Button Buck
Hey gremcat your right down the road from me . I'm in summit hill, u still have mon-wed to bear hunt and I believe the first week of rifle season starting the Monday after thanksgiving to take a bear in our wmu

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yeah Mon-Tues this week, then 29th to 2nd. I am hoping to be in NC that week. Depends if anything comes up at work. I found out the Director of my region resigned to work closer to home and my name is on the top of the list. Trying hard not to reconnect the next two weeks. I can here Al Pacino's voice in my head "I was out, then they pulled me back in."

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My buddy from PA texted me they were all out pushing big woods, but didn't have any luck. Just got rained on all day. He was one of 9 kids, so when his family/friends get out and do man drives it's always plenty of people. They are crazy about bear up there too. I don't understand.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yeah my spot is on their path to our street and also a pinch point to escape the Drivers in the hunting camp up the road.

They grabbed one of my American Danner boots I had airing out on my front porch last night. Didn't carry it far but this means war...