Fawns and Does

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Today I took a small doe; it looked bigger through the scope, I guess, long shadows at 4:30, and I just misjudged her size. I still have a lot to learn. Anyway, I still had about an hour of light, so I left her there hoping that something bigger would come by. After the shot, I saw were two very small deer that were in the area, no spots, but probably born this year. Those two stayed near the carcass for the whole hour until dark. When I field dressed her, the mammary glands were active, and there was even some milk when I cut into them.

So were these two smaller deer hers? And could she still have been nursing? And is a spring fawn still dependent on the mother in November?

Last edited:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes likely hers, yes she could still be nursing, no not completely dependent at this point, they should be fine

BVB

Four Pointer
They'll be fine. Leave them some corn. Such is hunting and the wild. Heck, I feel a bit of remorse for any life I take. I think you should.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
^ What the guys said. Once they've lost their spots, they can survive on their own. They will in all probability stick together and likely 'herd up' with adoptive does.

Last edited: