First timer

DubDove

Button Buck
So obviously I'm really late to the dance, but I've really gained interest in duck hunting this year. I have only hunted whitetail before, but I can't get enough of the woods. Could someone point me in a direction for some info starting out? Does everyone who duck hunts have some type of retrievers? Do most duck hunters use semi's or pumps? I have a million questions...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its the most competitive hunting around and folks get nasty over it.... you will be hard pressed to get much help as far as places to go.... dont even ask... the answer is get your boots on and go find a place to shoot ducks..... If you have some private land with a pond or swamp..... you will have a :donk:donk:donk:donk load of new friends..... same jack asses that wont help out!!

Duck hunters use both pump and semi- i like my semi
I have never had a dog .... dont want one.....just not a dog person... got friends that have them but most are just lap dogs that don’t get worked enough..... its a job to keep them dogs right

Ask away but get ready for some smartass answers from duck hunters......good luck

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Start with a pump. It will make you really think about your shots instead of shooting 3 times at every duck. I didnt have a dog for a long time and it really didnt hinder me all that much. Now that I have a dog I couldn't imagine not hunting with him. Scout scout scout is the best advice to find birds. Go to places before sunrise and just watch with a pair of binos. It took me a few years to really dial in a few holes.

DubDove

Button Buck
Its the most competitive hunting around and folks get nasty over it.... you will be hard pressed to get much help as far as places to go.... dont even ask... the answer is get your boots on and go find a place to shoot ducks..... If you have some private land with a pond or swamp..... you will have a :donk:donk:donk:donk load of new friends..... same jack asses that wont help out!!

Duck hunters use both pump and semi- i like my semi
I have never had a dog .... dont want one.....just not a dog person... got friends that have them but most are just lap dogs that don’t get worked enough..... its a job to keep them dogs right

Ask away but get ready for some smartass answers from duck hunters......good luck
That's such a bummer when you hear people getting nasty over stuff like that. Looks like I'll be doing some serious reading before next year.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you are dead set on doing it yourself there is going to be a big learning curve. My advice would be to hire a guide either on the coast, or some where farther west where there is a better flyway and have fun. I promise it will be money well spent. The area is too crowded and the birds too few for a new hunter to really learn the ropes. I enjoy duck hunting, but other than a couple woodie hunts on a private pond, I go on guided hunts. I don't have the time or patience to deal with Central NC public land duck hunting.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
As ScottyB noted waterfowlers can be a finicky crowd. What you will find is plenty of advice in terms of guns, loads, equipment, etc. where opinions are like buttholes where everybody has one but most stink. What you won't receive are good hunting locations as these are guarded as top secret information. That said a good way to pick up tips and tricks is to befriend people that duck hunt and be invited along. Organizations like DU, Delta, etc. can be a good starting places to meet duck hunters and once you gain their trust and friendship invitations would be possible.

Good luck in your endeavor and be prepared for your wallet to take a hit as quality equipment can be costly and waterfowlers are well known for buying many different gadgets.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Try to get out there and walk looking for secluded pieces of water that it's unlikely many people know about, the further you go from a road the better. Not every watering hole will produce, but you're more likely to have a better hunt on an uncrowded area.

I have semi autos and pumps, and just about always take my Mossberg 500 for ducks, because it's dead reliable and can take the abuse that comes with waterfowling. I shoot 3" #2 steel for ducks.

Dogs aren't necessary, this is my first year hunting with my own dog. One piece of gear I'd recommend whether you have a dog or not is a good pair of chest waders, there's just too much of a chance that at some point you'll need to walk out into that cold water, especially if you have decoys. YouTube is a pretty good resource to learn about calls, decoy spreads, etc. Ducks Unlimited also has good resources for hunters. Good luck and happy hunting out there.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
So obviously I'm really late to the dance, but I've really gained interest in duck hunting this year. I have only hunted whitetail before, but I can't get enough of the woods. Could someone point me in a direction for some info starting out? Does everyone who duck hunts have some type of retrievers? Do most duck hunters use semi's or pumps? I have a million questions...

Not everyone has a dog, but dogs certainly do help recover birds.

Most guys use Semi's or pump's as opposed to nicer o/u's and side by sides, also since the third shot is really nice for finishing cripples. Also, since you're so often standing in a swamp, lying in a field, in a boat in saltwater, synthetic stocks and camo-coated guns are nicer for their weather resistance. That said, I have seen guys shoot double guns when duck hunting.

You don't have to spend a fortune on ammunition, but don't buy the cheapest stuff, either; nothing is more frustrating than all the work being put in, having it go right, pulling the trigger, seeing feathers knock off the bird...and watching the bird fly away.

I think Butner/FON is mostly permit hunting for waterfowl.

That's such a bummer when you hear people getting nasty over stuff like that. Looks like I'll be doing some serious reading before next year.

This is my .02 on the nastiness. Don't ask for spots online, and don't broadcast spots online. People get really fussy even about someone asking a question, "What's the hunting like on Big Lake?" Someone here posted pictures of their permit hunt success, and there was some quivering of the bottom lip that "but next year that permit drawing will have billions of applications."

Other than that, be polite when your out hunting. That's about all.

Duck hunting costs the same amount of money now, as it did when I was mostly broke, as it probably did 40 years ago. Every dime you've got.

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you are. I'm getting back into duck hunting after taking a hiatus (except for trips to ND) since moving here a couple years ago.

PM me if you want. I'm going this weekend, at a local game land and would be happy to have someone to hunt with, provided you have waders. Chest waders would be ideal but hippers would probably work. I definitely flooded my knee boots last weekend.

Someone said that there's a big learning curve. They aren't wrong, but it needn't be overly complicated. It amounts to finding where the birds are (scouting,) and setting up where they're gonna go the next morning, paying some attention to weather and wind. Decoy spreads are the subject of many articles, but I've mostly found that a J or U that allows them to land into the wind, and be somewhat sheltered from the wind if its windy, is 90% of the battle. 80% of that is scouting to make sure your in the right spot. If you're where they really want to be, they'll decoy into a yellow Rubber Ducky.

Last edited:

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
If you want to start duck hunting the best thing you can do is go on a few guided trips before investing in equipment. Trust me ---you will save money in the long run. Also you might want to consider finding a deer hunting club that has land with beaver swamps/creeks. All you need to hunt a swamp is a good pair of waders/camo/shotgun. Ducks will generally come into a specific hole in swamps so decoys are not critical IMHO but a few mallard decoys can help. Unless you know what you are doing calling will hurt more than help. Do not get a dog unless you have the time,patience and money to invest. There is no better feeling than hunting with a good dog but it is a commitment. I rarely duck hunt since my dog died but when I go I carry a spinng rod with a top water plug and have no problem retrieving ducks with it. Please use common sense and manners. Don't sky blast/set up close to other hunters/leave trash/hunt someone's spot if they were nice enough to take you. Personally I would rather have a romantic evening with Rosie ODonnel than fight the crowds on any of the triangle lakes.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
If you have access to private land awesome, if public land is your only option you better hook up with someone that knows the ropes. Success in waterfowl comes from months of preparation before season even gets here. Covering ground scouting, asking permission for private land, knowing federal, state, and local laws front and back, buying gear, etc. I buy most of my supplies in the off season. Most big retailers will have stuff on sale, decoys, waders, ammunition. Also people will sell off used gear usually at reasonable prices. Even then the dollars add up, so spread it across the 9 months the season is out. Duck weather is nasty weather. Merino wool is the way to go, along with a good water resistant jacket. Shop around and buy the best quality you can, it makes a difference. Youll need to be hidden well, camo or drab colors are a must. I like bottomland and mossy oak duck blind better than shadow grass or max 4 or 5 camo. Youll find 1 million opinions on waders. $100 brands to $350 brands, theyll all leak eventually. Marine sealant and a good warranty are your best friend. Set up with the sun and wind at your back when possible, and stay still when birds are working. Get the birds in close and dont sky bust or take questionable shots. 30 yards and in are the kill zone. Also keep in mind steel shot patterns tighter than lead. I rarely use tighter than improved cylinder in my gun, except for on the coast in open water then its mod.

Like others said, hire a guide. Learn by watching and ask general questions about set ups, shooting, how birds work, what terrain to look for, etc. By a few calls and learn to use them sparingly, but dont even take them out of the blind bag the first few years. Any gun will work fine, but pump or semi synthetic stocks will be more durable than nice shiny wood and blued barrels. Ducks are killed every year with 2 3/4" number 4s. Rio brand are my go to for quality and price. A lot can be done with a couple dozen decoys instead of 10 dozen. Be patient, be legal, be courteous, be persistent, be lucky. Go to ncwildlife.org and research permit hunts for next year also. Thatll expand your opportunities but not a single one you get drawn for is a guarantee. I could go on forever just like everyone else that duck hunts, but those are some of the basics.

DubDove

Button Buck
Thank all of you for your very well thought out answers and replies. I think starting in the early part of next year I'll get my act together and try to make a run at it in the fall with a guided hunt. I learned to deer hunt from my uncle when I was young, but no one in my family duck hunts so starting from scratch is a little overwhelming. I join Ducks Unlimited since they have great info (I'm a biologist and really got into hunting after college for the conservation aspects, so the small donation was a no brainer if it helps maintain wetlands). I've learned more about nature and critters in the last 3 years than my entire life, and man have I caught the bug where all I want to do is hunt and fish.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
If you have access to private land awesome, if public land is your only option you better hook up with someone that knows the ropes. Success in waterfowl comes from months of preparation before season even gets here. Covering ground scouting, asking permission for private land, knowing federal, state, and local laws front and back, buying gear, etc. I buy most of my supplies in the off season. Most big retailers will have stuff on sale, decoys, waders, ammunition. Also people will sell off used gear usually at reasonable prices. Even then the dollars add up, so spread it across the 9 months the season is out. Duck weather is nasty weather. Merino wool is the way to go, along with a good water resistant jacket. Shop around and buy the best quality you can, it makes a difference. Youll need to be hidden well, camo or drab colors are a must. I like bottomland and mossy oak duck blind better than shadow grass or max 4 or 5 camo. Youll find 1 million opinions on waders. $100 brands to $350 brands, theyll all leak eventually. Marine sealant and a good warranty are your best friend. Set up with the sun and wind at your back when possible, and stay still when birds are working. Get the birds in close and dont sky bust or take questionable shots. 30 yards and in are the kill zone. Also keep in mind steel shot patterns tighter than lead. I rarely use tighter than improved cylinder in my gun, except for on the coast in open water then its mod.

Like others said, hire a guide. Learn by watching and ask general questions about set ups, shooting, how birds work, what terrain to look for, etc. By a few calls and learn to use them sparingly, but dont even take them out of the blind bag the first few years. Any gun will work fine, but pump or semi synthetic stocks will be more durable than nice shiny wood and blued barrels. Ducks are killed every year with 2 3/4" number 4s. Rio brand are my go to for quality and price. A lot can be done with a couple dozen decoys instead of 10 dozen. Be patient, be legal, be courteous, be persistent, be lucky. Go to ncwildlife.org and research permit hunts for next year also. Thatll expand your opportunities but not a single one you get drawn for is a guarantee. I could go on forever just like everyone else that duck hunts, but those are some of the basics.

If I can find it I like steel #6s. All of my duck hunting these days is a few swamp hunts for woodies.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
If I can find it I like steel #6s. All of my duck hunting these days is a few swamp hunts for woodies.
Been hearing a lot of people talk about using 6s. I think the Kent fast teal come in 6s. I might try it if I can ever shoot all these cases I buy every year and never use up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

terriblehunter

Button Buck
Dubdove, PM me. I am in Durham and hunt the public lands around there, primarily Jordan. I have got decoys and a boat if needed and would be happy to show you the ropes.

Duck hunters can be pricks, but not all of us...

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
# 6’s are good to 30 yards for clean kills. You’ll be lucky to stop one at 35 yds. and forget 40. I’ve shot enough with my 28ga. with 6’s to know the limits. You can get away with it in swamps/close quarters but forget about it in open water senerios.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t skybust. Been a lot of good info given but it seems the number one thing new guys are the worst at is skybusting. If he ain’t inside 40 yds, you shouldn’t even raise your gun. A lot of the problem with steel shot is not that it’s steel. It’s that a lot guys are taking shots at birds they have no business shooting at. My goal when we hunted so much was to blow their heads off. The closer the better.
By letting birds work close, you’re also helping out everyone hunting near you and not ruining their hunts either. My advice is set up a decoy at xx yards out and don’t shoot birds past it.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Don’t do it run now you will have more money in the bank if you just start using drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Don’t skybust. Been a lot of good info given but it seems the number one thing new guys are the worst at is skybusting. If he ain’t inside 40 yds, you shouldn’t even raise your gun. A lot of the problem with steel shot is not that it’s steel. It’s that a lot guys are taking shots at birds they have no business shooting at. My goal when we hunted so much was to blow their heads off. The closer the better.
By letting birds work close, you’re also helping out everyone hunting near you and not ruining their hunts either. My advice is set up a decoy at xx yards out and don’t shoot birds past it.

Very good advise darkthirty.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Get a pump. never liked a semi for duck hunting. But , I am partial to pumps. If you can afford it get a Browning pump. Browning and Ithaca have bottom ejection so can be shot left or right handed and that bottom ejection keeps out rain etc.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Get a pump. never liked a semi for duck hunting. But , I am partial to pumps. If you can afford it get a Browning pump. Browning and Ithaca have bottom ejection so can be shot left or right handed and that bottom ejection keeps out rain etc.

The problem with the Browning BPS is that its complicated...take it apart to clean it and your looking at three beers before you have it back together.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
# 6’s are good to 30 yards for clean kills. You’ll be lucky to stop one at 35 yds. and forget 40. I’ve shot enough with my 28ga. with 6’s to know the limits. You can get away with it in swamps/close quarters but forget about it in open water senerios.

I would be suprised if we have a shot that is over 25 yds. About all I hunt now are a few wood ducks holes that habve allways held birds. I don't care about chasing a duck like I used too.