Old timer

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
Got pictures of this deer after season last hear. Figured he was 5.5 that year. Thinking he would blow up this year but did the opposite. Thinking this deer is 6.5 plus. What do y’all think.

Last year
9d805cb8b257c06f0bf96bb57a10f451.jpg

This year
0740cee14b0a6196b2a8bcb3580100bf.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Typical NC woods buck to me with some age on him. I think you are pretty close on age..with in a year at least. I think his antler size is about the same year to year in your pictures. I once killed a 7 point in Anson that was aged at 5.5 by the taxidermist. I'm not sure he was right on age but I have that deer shed from the previous year. He didn't grow a 1/2" the following year. So the same results you witnessed here. JMO

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Looks old to me too, has features an elderly deer. To have a big belly you have to be fat and healthy, deer just looks a little run down in first picture.

Last edited:

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
His neck melts right into his chest. If I️ were a betting man I’d bet you were close

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
Typical NC woods buck to me with some age on him. I think you are pretty close on age..with in a year at least. I think his antler size is about the same year to year in your pictures. I once killed a 7 point in Anson that was aged at 5.5 by the taxidermist. I'm not sure he was right on age but I have that deer shed from the previous year. He didn't grow a 1/2" the following year. So the same results you witnessed here. JMO

Agrees. he looks very similar. I️ would say he might have put some mass on just not much else. And you’re right about the woods deer. This is a mountainous area. Not much as far as food except for acorns, the occasional corn pile and browse.

Hunthard2

Agreed.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I had to throw out a guess I would say 4.5 last year, 5.5 this year.

There are a lot of factors that will change the way a deer looks from one pic to the next. Head up/down, going uphill/downhill, leg extended vs standing still, angled into the camera, etc.

I think if both pics were broadside on flat level ground with the whole deer in the frame and his head up, there would be more consensus on being an older deer.

Greenecb

Button Buck
I would say you are spot on with the age. Looks like a typical older Western NC mountain buck, which in my opinion are some of the toughest deer there are to hunt.