Scent control when checking cameras

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
When pulling cards, how you guys controlling your scent. I ride my 4 wheeler right up to the tree and pull card, not putting feet on ground. Do the same when putting out corn if possible. Heard of one guy taking a portable sprayer and when backing out he would spray area with fresh water, like it had just rained on his tracks. What method you guys using?

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I normally dont put My cameras where I hunt unless it is the day of when I walk in. I strategically put them in places close by but not where I walk in or access areas I hunt. I like to put them on fields and food sources. I use cameras to take inventory of what is around and not to hunt over. Whether you walk to a camera or ride you are going to leave scent no matter what you do. I can tell your your scent will dissipate faster than exhaust gas and oil. Also moist leaves and rain will hold scent longer.
I check my cameras on dry low humidity days and in the middle of the day. I wear knee high boots and latex gloves.

Last edited:

ditchbank

Banned
I just walk up to the camera and check it. Not early in the morning or late evening though. Most of the time mid day while putting corn out. This time of year a little more often. Buck are moving so if you want to know what your hunting you can't wait weeks in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
yeah I gave up all that nonsense when I saw my brother-in-law shoot a buck that followed his steps as he was smoking a cigarette. I will spray my shoes if I leave them in the house sometimes if I remember but honestly they're gonna smell you no matter what you do. Multiple tests have shown that unless you ride in a magic plastic bubble, deer can detect human scent.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I keep 3 cameras out year around and check them on average about 5 times a week by walking right up to them. The deer don't care. My dog is always with me too.

I just walk up to the camera and check it. Not early in the morning or late evening though. Most of the time mid day while putting corn out. This time of year a little more often. Buck are moving so if you want to know what your hunting you can't wait weeks in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here ....

mdunker

Ten Pointer
When I am walking to my stands I put Deer Calm on the soles of my boots. I do the same when I check cams. It is some good stuff. I have had deer following my trail and sniff the ladder.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
I don't do much other than wear the tall rubber boots. Just drive the ATV up to the camera, spill the corn, change the card, and move out.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't do much other than wear the tall rubber boots. Just drive the ATV up to the camera, spill the corn, change the card, and move out.

That's it.......except for those that I cant drive in to.....then I have to tote the dang bag

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to do the rubber boot thing, BAHHH. You wanna see a deer lose it's mind...pee in a scrape. I've done it and watched deer dig to China hahahahaha.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I used to do the rubber boot thing, BAHHH. You wanna see a deer lose it's mind...pee in a scrape. I've done it and watched deer dig to China hahahahaha.

Done the same thing... I think it ticks me off because they really work them afterwards.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I hunt my backyard, and it's close to others properties. I walked all over the place for ~6 hours tracking down a deer I shot, and lost last Sunday. I checked my camera the next day and had deer in the area just 2 hours after I had tromped thru the woods. Really surprised me, but they are "backyard" deer.
Back where I hunted in Fl, the deer & hogs were moody. Some days, they didn't like my smell, others they would blow or "growl"(hog) if they caught a whiff of me. (In FL, sweating in the heat was a problem)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I just wear a double layer of scentlok and HECS, and I run my Ozone. Haven't been smelled yet since I rolled all that in deer dander before I walk in.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I just wear a double layer of scentlok and HECS, and I run my Ozone. Haven't been smelled yet since I rolled all that in deer dander before I walk in.

i wouldnt go to all that trouble seeing as to how your "visitors" probably arent doing as much scent control.

you really need to post those pics here again. they are priceless. :)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
i wouldnt go to all that trouble seeing as to how your "visitors" probably arent doing as much scent control.

you really need to post those pics here again. they are priceless. :)

I've seen my visitors in person a few times now. Won't be posting those again. 😉

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I was putting out corn last weekend and my big yellow lab was with me and he hiked his leg on the corn pile as I was walking away. Had deer on it on the trail cam within a few hours after we left. So, no, I don't worry about it much. I think I may pee beside it this weekend and see if it matters.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I wear my rubber boots, spray them down with scent killer, wear a pair of jersey gloves and I'm super careful to not touch the camera with bare hands. I consider the camera part of my hunting arsenal and I treat it like every other piece, with scent as my worst enemy.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Today three of us walked to out out corn and put up camera mid morning....4:00 nephew shoot buck eating corn in front of camera...no scent protection used on my son and nephew when we put out the corn and hung camera.