Musky Time

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just returned from my annual trip to northern Wisconsin, and was once again reminded that not all time is created equal. I know again that musky time, those rare minutes spent connected with a top-tier predatory fish, is exceptional. Though few in number, these minutes are great in size, towering over all those hours caught in traffic, blotting out years spent staring at a screen. And these memories keep growing in height, year after year, trip after trip.

I’ve never been one to use conventional musky tackle – lures the size of toasters wired to fishing rods the diameter of a telephone pole. For me a 9-wt fly rod, or a medium action spinning combo with 10-lb line tossing a soon-to-be-destroyed 5” jointed minnow - what many consider average bass equipment - makes the river barracudas that we target so much more fun. And having a mile of nearly-private musky water on which to spend time makes the experience that much more peaceful…until the strike…

10_Musky Bridge Hole.jpg

12_DSCN4391.jpg

14_Snow Down River.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I miss fishing the Wolf,,,,,,fish and river

Glad you had a great time!

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yep everyone now will tell you , you need a 9-10 foot rod and cast only giant 10-16 oz lures or size 10 + spinners

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep everyone now will tell you , you need a 9-10 foot rod and cast only giant 10-16 oz lures or size 10 + spinners

We try to match the normal size and color of the forage for these muskies. There are no 12-18" bait fish in this river, so they like the smaller baits...

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That's what I try to do as well.

Bass size spinnerbaits are a good choice in NC.