Mountain Plot Advice

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I have a stretch of land behind my house I've always wanted to do something with however need some advice on what to do. Our land ends at this location however it's been a good location as a natural deer corridor for years. The only issue is that this mountain is rather untamed with very minimal development and road infrastructure, so the deer have a vast amount of land to roam. Couple that with minimal high nutrition food sources and it's nothing to see a deer once or twice on camera and hear about him getting killed 7 miles away the following month. There is a bedding area just up the stream from me in a large Rhododendron thicket, this thicket extends along this stream bank, down to my property and the deer use this to travel during the day. There is minimal hunting pressure around me due to the layout of the land, so I really think a small killplot could do wonders here in keeping the deer a little more concentrated around this area. It's hard to tell in the photos but this area right along the creek bank is a relatively flat for about 1/4 of an acre. We sit roughly at 3,000ft elevation. I understand a soil test would be in order first and it wouldn't be nothing to clear out the young trees and open the canopy a bit.

Based on experiences, what is a good seed variety for small, forested environments? As you can see, this is the area I am dealing with. I do have a lot of species that roam this little area. I don't care to keep bears around but anything turkey would feed on would be a plus. I will post more non-trail camera photos to get a better idea of the area.

9F6Q3jd.jpg

ToAZyWC.jpg

FRWKSXG.jpg

ev7z8gU.jpg

oX88GZx.jpg

Last edited:

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I would say you're on the right track. Get a soil sample and see what you're working with. Based on the photos it looks like you've got a ton of hardwoods, specifically oak in these photos. So that'll be your Fall food source. You just need to focus on Spring, Summer and Winter. Seems easy enough and really you won't be hunting in the Spring but it's nice to get the fawns on the property early and often. Build a home range so to speak. That said I would clear out what you can via taking out the trees. I'd leave the shrubs, maybe not all of them but some of the more strategic ones so you can slip in and out without getting busted. As you create this feeding station you want to ensure your travel routes in and out are kept in mind throughout. Make sure you've got the wind figured out too because the direction of placement is going to be a factor come the hunting season. Now that we have placement figured out it's time to match your region to the varietals of perennials that can be planted in this zone and do well. I like NC State's agriculture site because it's got maps for NC that'll help determine what you can plant and when it should be sown or planted. Next thing I would do once I got some sun on my plot I'd border the edge with shrubs that will offer food and cover. Think about food sources you won't have to tend too but will be there year after year. Also, consider some black berries or other things like small cherries as crop and cover. The more perennial food items you plant today the less work you'll be doing in five years. Once you get that established I'd plant some clover or other crop that'll give you nutrient rich foods early in the spring when the does are milking. The does will bring the fawns and guess what, they'll remember that. Then if you want to do some soybeans or wheat or sorghum or mix there of for the fall that's fine but it's not necessary they're already coming for the acorns, plus you've got your shrubs that'll be bursting with fruits and flowers, great attraction for deer. For winter there's a number of shrubs that have late fruits but you could also plant an annual like a turnip which the deer will dig out in the cold months and eat. Here's some final notes and review: #1 think about the direction of the sun. #2 think about your access during the season. #3 always think about the wind haha. #4 Make it year round and plant as many perennial items as you can to reduce your time. #5 feed the fawns. #6 use NC state's website it's really robust. Good luck, the pics are awesome.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It looks like sunlight is going to be your limiting factor unless you really open it up. Being down low exaggerates the need as well. You've got to be able to look up and see open sky.

After that, Lime.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I think thelivecanary covered it well. I'd consider planting some persimmon trees along the edge, if you have the space. They're a great late summer / early fall attraction.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm not sure what kind of trees surround the area up on the ridges, but I wouldn't count on those for a fall food source.... I'm not seeing any oaks at all in the pictures. Looks like red maple, yellow poplar, probably some hemlock. Maybe I'm looking at them wrong, but they don't look like oaks.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
How much sunlight does your spot get?

It looks like sunlight is going to be your limiting factor unless you really open it up. Being down low exaggerates the need as well. You've got to be able to look up and see open sky.

After that, Lime.

This location is south facing with the ridges up behind them. During the growing months light wouldn't be too much of problem with some canopy clearing. There aren't many mature trees in this specific area either so clearing wouldn't be all too big of an issue.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not sure what kind of trees surround the area up on the ridges, but I wouldn't count on those for a fall food source.... I'm not seeing any oaks at all in the pictures. Looks like red maple, yellow poplar, probably some hemlock. Maybe I'm looking at them wrong, but they don't look like oaks.

It is typical hardwoods with scattered oaks. I have found though that 90% of my daytime photos are in the Rhodo thickets however. I used to hunt the hardwood areas surrounding them but would hardly see any daytime movement. Once I stepped into the Rhodo, it was a different ballgame. That's what I love about this specific area is that it is within their Rhodo highway as I like to call it.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I would say you're on the right track. Get a soil sample and see what you're working with. Based on the photos it looks like you've got a ton of hardwoods, specifically oak in these photos. So that'll be your Fall food source. You just need to focus on Spring, Summer and Winter. Seems easy enough and really you won't be hunting in the Spring but it's nice to get the fawns on the property early and often. Build a home range so to speak. That said I would clear out what you can via taking out the trees. I'd leave the shrubs, maybe not all of them but some of the more strategic ones so you can slip in and out without getting busted. As you create this feeding station you want to ensure your travel routes in and out are kept in mind throughout. Make sure you've got the wind figured out too because the direction of placement is going to be a factor come the hunting season. Now that we have placement figured out it's time to match your region to the varietals of perennials that can be planted in this zone and do well. I like NC State's agriculture site because it's got maps for NC that'll help determine what you can plant and when it should be sown or planted. Next thing I would do once I got some sun on my plot I'd border the edge with shrubs that will offer food and cover. Think about food sources you won't have to tend too but will be there year after year. Also, consider some black berries or other things like small cherries as crop and cover. The more perennial food items you plant today the less work you'll be doing in five years. Once you get that established I'd plant some clover or other crop that'll give you nutrient rich foods early in the spring when the does are milking. The does will bring the fawns and guess what, they'll remember that. Then if you want to do some soybeans or wheat or sorghum or mix there of for the fall that's fine but it's not necessary they're already coming for the acorns, plus you've got your shrubs that'll be bursting with fruits and flowers, great attraction for deer. For winter there's a number of shrubs that have late fruits but you could also plant an annual like a turnip which the deer will dig out in the cold months and eat. Here's some final notes and review: #1 think about the direction of the sun. #2 think about your access during the season. #3 always think about the wind haha. #4 Make it year round and plant as many perennial items as you can to reduce your time. #5 feed the fawns. #6 use NC state's website it's really robust. Good luck, the pics are awesome.

Thank you very much for the advice!

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
When I say Rhodo Highway, this is what I mean. This is a fall/winter satellite view of the area. The dark green is the dense Rhododendron/Laurel thickets, the brown is your typical open hardwood. These deer use these dense thickets to move in the daytime. The area where my trail cam is, is a small opening still within these Rhodo thickets.

iPCRYCm.png

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Might also try some plantings of hybrid chestnuts

We all know how chestnuts were a big time Mtn food source

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
If you have a tillable spot go with buckwheat in late spring,about corn planting time.Disk it under in early sept.and plant clover over seeding with oats ,grain rye or wheat.If not tillable you may want to plant some sawtooth oaks.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
How many acres is a "stretch of land"? What do you really control there?

Open canopy, backpack blower to remove leaf litter, broadcast crimson clover/rye grain/brassicas, press seed in with ATV.

Doubt perennial clovers will last between shade, leaf litter and feeding pressure.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
How many acres is a "stretch of land"? What do you really control there?

Open canopy, backpack blower to remove leaf litter, broadcast crimson clover/rye grain/brassicas, press seed in with ATV.

Doubt perennial clovers will last between shade, leaf litter and feeding pressure.

It's less about how many we control and more about how many acres might be suitable for growing anything. We have 15 acres total at the house. Opening the canopy is must, that I know. I assume the soil is going to be quite acidic as well. I am going to grab a soil sample tonight and I'll post more photos.