Dog Hunting Coyotes

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I have heard they hunt/kill coyotes with dogs in the plain states but does anybody hunt them around here? I know fox hunters love to run them so they can listen to the dogs but from what little I read the guys that hunt them out west use fast quiet dogs like a lurcher that either flush the coyote for the hunter to shoot or kill them out right. Hearing a chase doesn't do much for me but I would think a running coyote would make for some sporty shooting.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They use crosses of Greyhound/Staghound/Wolfhound. They are 100-120# dogs and they drop them in the wide open and are primarily sight dogs. They drop them in pairs/trios. I have several friends that do it all fall winter. These dogs are extreme athletes and it has to be cold because they will run themselves to death in our temps here.

I have a couple friends here that have seen the vids but they don't want them plastered all over the place for obvious reasons. It is unreal the numbers they kill in a year but it in the several hundreds per dog.23316600_799272010275169_2555386068108328837_n.jpg
23434988_10212745348102000_720389646934260657_n.jpg
23472139_127874151229380_4424976353273053294_n.jpg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That looks like something I could have a lot of fun doing. I love watching sight hounds.
I have already told them that I would be broke if I lived out there. It is a high attrition sport though. You have to have a kennel full of dogs coming along. Dogs hit culverts, traveling irrigation systems, and fences and that is it. They loose 10-15% of their animals a year to accidents or injuries. Also just like any other dog related sport only the best make it.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I have already told them that I would be broke if I lived out there. It is a high attrition sport though. You have to have a kennel full of dogs coming along. Dogs hit culverts, traveling irrigation systems, and fences and that is it. They loose 10-15% of their animals a year to accidents or injuries. Also just like any other dog related sport only the best make it.

I had a good friend from England whose father raised Lurchers. Granted they primarily hunted rabbits but he did mention it was hard on the dogs.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a good friend from England whose father raised Lurchers. Granted they primarily hunted rabbits but he did mention it was hard on the dogs.
I am on a FB page with the sighthound guys and terriers. There are guys from all over the world on there. We think it is rough here? Many places if they catch you dogging animals like the UK if they catch you putting earth dogs or lurchers on rabbits it is a prison sentence.

Australia, roos are a nuisance but if you aren't a licensed nuisance removal expert they will fine you the first time and it is jail the second. No dogging them period.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
We checked into running yotes in the wild one time. Not like these sight hounds but scent hounds that run to kill. They would play sirens and get the yotes to howling. Dogs would "pack" to them just like in a race. But when they got there it was on. These dogs are professional cutters/swingers. We were told you can only keep one dog per kennel as they love to kill. Talked with some local clubs and land owners about doing this after the deer season. We would pay a membership and never show up until after deer season. Guaranteed (as much as you can) the dogs would be broke from deer. We sure did not get the response we were expecting. Now I hear these same guys complaining about yotes. Oh well.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Sight hounds would have trouble here, not enough open space in most places. We do have our hounds catch sometime. You got to have a hound that knows what to do when they bay one, or all of them will get torn up. Like, shotgunner stated we usually had to keep the ones that could handle the yote by themselves. One exception was a 19" hound I had. Jade, she had so much grit, it just blew my mind. Most of the rest are 50 to 70 lb. males.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the replies. I sort of figured that the lack of open space would be an issue. Any of yall are more than welcome to come up and try them if you are in the Warren/Vance County area.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the replies. I sort of figured that the lack of open space would be an issue. Any of yall are more than welcome to come up and try them if you are in the Warren/Vance County area.

If I had broke coyote hounds I would take you up on that one. Mine where broke on yotes, but I use them to deer hunt too.