All the deer want is corn right now........

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Must be the chasing and the cold. From what I have seen in Rockingham, Harnett, and Scotland counties...... all the deer are eating is corn right now. Cant keep the corn out the past week and half. Anybody else seeing the same thing?
Gone thru almost 500 pounds of corn in 2 weeks between the 3 places we hunt.

Last edited:

deepbreath

Six Pointer
They aren't touching my corn in union county! Must be contaminated or something! Lol
But seriously I was wondering why they haven't touched it??

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I put it out by my cameras and a bag lasts about 2 days....maybe

sent from...... Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
There's still a lot of good acorns on the ground where I hunt in Moore. At my home in Randolph there's not many left. They are moderately eating corn at both places.

<>< Fish

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I have noticed that the does where I am like corn and apples. The bucks don't seem to like the apples(??). Strange.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have noticed that the does where I am like corn and apples. The bucks don't seem to like the apples(??). Strange.

The bucks always seem to nibble on the apples. I think the corn is quick and they need the carbs.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, tearing up the corn at my place. I hunted to back of a flat with a lot of big oak trees Saturday... didn't see anything. My cousin sat in my condo at the corn pile and had deer about all morning.. or turkeys.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
all they want is corn?

Really: no sex? i thought that is what they wanted right now. :)

i actually bought some corn at walmart to try. the stuff i have thrown out is not getting ate. i hope it's the acorns, they were still falling last week.

got that apple flavored stuff. i will not be sitting on the ground near it, i dont want to get trampled. LOL

Last edited:

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
They've disappeared in my part of Harnett County also. I've had a couple nice bucks cruise through a couple weeks ago but not sign of chasing or the rut. Still have some does but they've been a lot more infrequent the last couple weeks.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
On a related note, the latest North American Whitetail says deer need energy producing calories year round and they really don't neeed and cannot use protein sources that are more than 16 to 18% protein. It takes the carbs to make the protein do its thing, also.

So, yes...deer are almost always corn crazy; if they aren't hitting it full speed ahead, imo, it's only because there's another energy source that's new on the scene or still available.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hey OS...... ain&#8217;t nothing wrong with the walmart corn..... they are killing it in NOrth Chatham ..... used to carry the apple up this way but they havent had it this year.... Siler had a few bags the other day but I was too lazy to go get a cart....

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I️ quit putting I️t out because jt got expensive and I didn’t havr time to hunt over it but the past few days they’ve been digging In the leaves trying to find it. All at night mostly.

One of my spots in Moore is covered up in acorns. I️ mean tons of em....nothing is touching them.

Once the rut starts to slack off I’ll be dumping heavily again in a spot or two for some meat seer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DanH

Four Pointer
My deer demolish the apple flavored corn in Rockingham county but they barely touched it last 2 weeks so I put out 3 bags of regular corn last Thursday and it's all gone now even what was left of the apple flavor.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hey OS...... ain&#8217;t nothing wrong with the walmart corn..... they are killing it in NOrth Chatham ..... used to carry the apple up this way but they havent had it this year.... Siler had a few bags the other day but I was too lazy to go get a cart....

well yeah there is one thing wrong with it. it's price. 6 per fifty versus over seven bucks for 40. but it is apple flavored. LOL i'll be perched over it in about 40 minutes. we'll see how good it works.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
all they want is corn?

Really: no sex? i thought that is what they wanted right now. :)

i actually bought some corn at walmart to try. the stuff i have thrown out is not getting ate. i hope it's the acorns, they were still falling last week.

got that apple flavored stuff. i will not be sitting on the ground near it, i dont want to get trampled. LOL

I've never been able to get the deer to eat the apple flavored from Walmart

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
OS you may want to get a little bit higher in the tree today so the lip smackin slober dont hit you!!

My big buck has returned to our archery only zone.... been eating Wal-Mart corn for the last 3 days.... while i been in Halifax .... never fails... he was in front this stand at 6:55 this morning.... hoping he comes by this evening..... while my son is fighting fires and saving lives.....

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer don&#8217;t eat corn from Walmart.

Lol. On a serious note, i have used corn hand picked out of the field and also bought from farmers. I will say that the walmart corn gets more traffic than any other. Maybe time of the year is different....idk, lots of variables. Consisitantly for a few years now, the walmart stuff gets demolished quickly where the other sources tend to stay a couple days longer.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Lol. On a serious note, i have used corn hand picked out of the field and also bought from farmers. I will say that the walmart corn gets more traffic than any other. Maybe time of the year is different....idk, lots of variables. Consisitantly for a few years now, the walmart stuff gets demolished quickly where the other sources tend to stay a couple days longer.

A few years back somebody on here was saying corn from Walmart was junk and deer wouldn’t eat it. I️ used to buy it from Wally World all of the time, until I️ found a cheaper source.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
They do around here......and it's getting to be an expensive problem

They do everywhere. Corn is corn. I&#65039; was just jabbing at an old debate from a couple of years ago.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All the corn we put out at the dog club comes from wal mart. We put out some Mill Corn last week and that mess looked moldy. The deer did not eat it as much.
I have had the same BAD luck with that apple flavored corn . The deer will not touch in Harnett, Scotland and Rockingham county.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The deer here eat it all.

I remember one sack of corn (unflavored) that I bought from Walmart had some sort of worms in it and the deer did eat it much. But that was 1 sack.

user8786

Ten Pointer
This year we bought 100 bushels straight out of the hopper, once picked from the field beside the clubhouse, our deer have no problem eating it up. Keeping the stands corned up is almost a part time job. My Brother corned up yesterday and said a 50 to 60 lb bag is only lasting a day and a half right now. So just as last year we will probably run out of corm Mid December.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I'm only putting out 40lbs a week. They are killing it in 3-4 days so they have to eat something else on the weekends!