Rubber Boot Repair

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got a pair of tall Muck boots with a triangular gash in them in the rubber right above the sole in the instep. I'd say it's about the size of 2 pencil erasers.

Does anyone have a good solution for repairing them? I've repaired waders in the past with moderate success, but I'm always skeptical. What say you, Repair or Replace? What is the best product to try to repair them, and is it worth it?

I had a worn out ankle-high pair that got a gash in them in September just by catching the toe on a sharp cedar log. I just trashed those because they were already worn out.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have had some success glueing a piece of inner tube as a patch,,,,,used that technique on rubber boots before,,,

rubber cement doesn't last (for me) but epoxie does normally

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
True story I got a tear in my Mucks on a bob wire fence.
Took boot to a tire shop.
They put a patch on it just like they would on a inner tide or a patch inside of a tire.
This was done several years ago and it still isn’t leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you know how this occurred? I had a similar issue and finally found how it was wearing on tree steps/ladders when i climbed.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have patched a bunch of rubber boots with tire patches over the years.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I use 5200 on everything from boots to wetsuits to waders. Anything that’s needs to be watertight

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you know how this occurred? I had a similar issue and finally found how it was wearing on tree steps/ladders when i climbed.

I'm not exactly sure, but I'm thinking it may have happened in contact with a couple of tree stands in the back of the truck. I guess that rubber is not as tough as it looks.

I will give the tire patch and shoe goo a try. Thanks.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Gorilla tape on the inside to create a backing. Then aqua epoxy the front and let cure 24hrs then spray over with flex seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L.P.

Four Pointer
Contributor
Nice to know. Seems like always needing to patch hole in waders or rubber boots. Thanks.