500 yard steel

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Not exactly the most perfect day to do some mid range shooting but i have been itching to get some shooting in.
6be426769c5305fd18c1f923dbd9804a.jpg
so here is the rig I was working with today. It is my sons hunting rifle. Rifle is a tikka t3x in 308. Has a fixed 6 power super sniper on it with the milquad reticle and .1 mil adjustments. Started the day out checking zero at 100 and it was good. Set the gong up at 300, dialed 1.2 mild and rang the gong 3 out of 3 Times. Moved back to 500. Dialed 2.7 total mils of elevation and went 11 for 15 at 500 on a 10 inch gong with a squirrelly wind. Wind calls were tough today and my shooting suffered because of that.
2bc1072acdd66a0ccb21c4ac1de04605.jpg

Load was a 150 grn nosler accubond, 45 grains of varget(thrown with an RCBS uni flow powder measurer) in lapua cases with cci 200 large rifle primers. Cases were new unfired. Ran through a Lee collet neck die and and bullets were seated to magazine length using a Redding seater. Nothing special about that load other then it just works. So you don’t need the Hubble telescope or a land cannon to stretch the range. I will say that 6x is about a low a power as I can use at that range due to my almost 50 year old eyes. Now to try to kill a deer this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nice shooting, I have always liked Tikka rifles and most are very accurate right out of the box.

sent from...... Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Nice shooting, I have always liked Tikka rifles and most are very accurate right out of the box.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Wind yesterday was what really was a challenge. It varied from .5 mils to a full mil depending on the timing. Plus there was part of the bullets path that was shielded from the wind so it made the wind call even more tricky. Honestly i would not attempt to shoot a deer at this range now. I have pulled off a few long shots in the past, but honestly those days are over for me.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Good shooting. Those Tikka rifles hardly ever disappoint.

<>< Fish

Yeah this gun has been stupid easy to deal with. All I did was pick the bullet I wanted my son to use, loaded it till they would feed from the mag and sight it in. This is the lite, with the pencil thin barrel. I would love to see what one of the tikka tacticals is capable of.

herman

Six Pointer
Yeah this gun has been stupid easy to deal with. All I did was pick the bullet I wanted my son to use, loaded it till they would feed from the mag and sight it in. This is the lite, with the pencil thin barrel. I would love to see what one of the tikka tacticals is capable of.

I have had 2 tikkas for several years,one is the T3 in 25/06 and the other is 308
varmit. Both shoot great.
Some years ago,one of my shooting buddies decided to try our luck at 1000yd.We went up to Hawks Ridge to see if we could practice some.
The fellow that owned the range wasn't there but his brother was at home and told us to go ahead and shoot some.
There wasn't any targets up but there were plenty of clay birds.At the time we didn't have any 1000 ud rifles because our range went to 300 yds.
Well we got the tikka zeroed in and there was 5 birds in a row vertically.
the first 3 shots I shot busted 1-3 birds.Gave the rifle to my buddie and he busted the bottom 2.
This was with a factory 308 varmit.
We went back when they had their next shoot and I was going to use the tikka but they let me use a club rifle(because I was A new shooter) built by Bob Tooley and I won the first relay I had shot in a 1000 yd match.

Some of us (12 I think ) went on a hog hunt in SC later.I took my tikka with me for a back up.
One of the fellows and I got to talking because the guide had a 1000 yd range with steel plates,and he had never shot any long range and really wanted to try.So at dinner the next day we went down to the range,told him how to hold and he shot one at 1000 yds we heard the steel ring so we knew he hit it.
We were eating dinner afterwards and the guide came in an said someone had been shooting his gong.I told him that I had let a fellow shoot my tikka once because he had never shot any long distant before.
The guide said damn he hit it dead center.
The 25/06 would group good at 100 yds,sent it back and when I got it back it shot one hole groups at 100.Didn't say what was wrong with it.
Have shot a lot of different tikkas in different calibers and all shot great.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Great shooting! There's something very satisfying in hearing that metallic thunk when you hit that steel target at 500 yards. As we speak we have a guy on a dozer pushing out a 1,000 yard range. Can't wait!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Great shooting! There's something very satisfying in hearing that metallic thunk when you hit that steel target at 500 yards. As we speak we have a guy on a dozer pushing out a 1,000 yard range. Can't wait!
We used to be able to shoot out to 1260 yds on my farm, but when we planted the pines on the ends almost 15 years ago it took a good chunk of that. We can ove around some and shoot out of the truck bed from bipods and get around 700 or so now, but that is with dry fields and they aren't dry right now.