Fall Rains...Mushroom Hunting

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Any mushroom hunters (foragers) out there? (I prefer to be called a mushroom hunter, than a forager, it sounds more manly, especially when I walk around with my little wicker basket...haha. No, no wicker basket. But the fall rains in Raleigh are going to bring out the mushrooms and I have two questions: 1. What's your top three favorite? See mine below. 2. Has anyone found any Boletus Edulis aka Porcini, aka Cep, aka King of Mushrooms?

Let me know, it's time for some hot mushroom hunting talk. Deer hunting seems to be all the rage but what goes better with venison than a side of oyster mushrooms?

My Top Three Fall Finds - Lion's Mane, Oyster, Hen of the Woods

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
I found this one behind the house back in September. I cooked it with deer and peppers from the same land and added some stir fry sauce and it was delicious.
Chicken of the Woods
IMG_1553.jpg

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is the log I'm sitting behind now..
93712766400904ddd4566e8730f42034.jpg
881a88b55c9cd9f3c11773705698171b.jpg

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Man, I haven't thought of mushroom hunting since I moved away from the midwest.

Brothers who served in blooded regiments would conceal from their comrades their Morel Mushroom grounds...

nchunt101

Ten Pointer

Brothers who served in blooded regiments would conceal from their comrades their Morel Mushroom grounds...

I used to have some good morel patches but since the turkey population exploded all I can find are signs of the turkeys eating them. Pisses me off to no end.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer

Those days of yore can be had down here too...
I'll tell you a funny story, I have a spot in the Piedmont...(that's giving too much away)...I have a spot in the Carolinas haha, that produces pretty regularly when the spring is cooperating. Well my brother knows of the same spot and we got a pretty good rain so I knew it could be good out there. He and another friend of ours were going to go late at night, so as not to alert any locals and I had to work so I couldn't join them in the wee hours of the night. Well, I knew they'd hit the woods around 11PM so I raced over to the spot at 9PM and wiped the whole thing out before I had to get back home and hit the sheets to make it in to work early haha. Those two couldn't figure out why the mushrooms hadn't popped haha. You should have seen the look on their faces when they opened the fridge and saw the bag of mushrooms. Priceless.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
[eric revo]Those aren't the puffballs you'd bring to the table. I'd steer clear of those on that old punky log. The other shot is a chicken aka sulfer shelf, pretty tasty when they're young...that one looks a little old.

Last edited:

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
"creekhobo" That's a young spring chicken...or fall chicken rather. Super nice and you can actually cut just the soft edge 1/2" to a full 1" off and continue harvesting it for quite a while, you don't have to take the whole enchilada.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I used to have some good morel patches but since the turkey population exploded all I can find are signs of the turkeys eating them. Pisses me off to no end.

let me help you with that problem. LOL.

my presence in the woods guarantees turkeys heading to the next county at least. all that loud callin runs them away.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Folks I just saw this awesome youtube video / interview that blew my mind. If you are interested in mushrooms in any way, you need to check this out. Eye opening, unbelievably interesting commentary on ecology, natural systems and the mushroom's place in it all. WOW.

https://www.youtube.com/paulstamets

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Found a 5lb Lion's Mane Mushroom in Anson 2 weeks ago. They are very rare, and very expensive since they're supposed to regenerate brain function. I'm still testing that theory though :D

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Have been on higher alert for chicken, hen, and lions mane or bear's head and am coming up empty, and I spend a lot of time in the woods. Founds tons of ringless honeys in about august, but couldn't bring myself to try them given that I don't personally know anyone who has eaten them. Did see a nice chicken on the side of the road, but was leary of one growing that close to a constant stream of exhaust fumes and possibly yard pesticides, so didn't bother asking permission to get it. I always seem to stumble across oysters in various places, but old faithful around my stomping grounds are all the smooth chanterells you could just about want from July-September.

Last edited:

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Have been on higher alert for chicken, hen, and lions mane or bear's head and am coming up empty, and I spend a lot of time in the woods. Founds tons of ringless honeys in about august, but couldn't bring myself to try them given that I don't personally know anyone who has eaten them. Did see a nice chicken on the side of the road, but was leary of one growing that close to a constant stream of exhaust fumes and possibly yard pesticides, so didn't bother asking permission to get it. I always seem to stumble across oysters in various places, but old faithful around my stomping grounds are all the smooth chanterells you could just about want from July-September.

Love those Chanties, and here in Raleigh our go-to is Oyster mushrooms, which we find everywhere...when it rains. This drought is killing the mushrooming and fishing for that matter.