Sending back dies

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Finally got around to reloading some 6mm Rem with the dies I acquired with my wife’s rifle. When we loaded the rifle the rounds were tight to chamber. Tried them in my rifle, same thing. Contacted RCBS and they said to send in the does with 5 fired cases. This should be interesting.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
Brass fired in each rifle kept separate?

Full length die or just the NK die?

Did you mark the brass with a marker to see where it was rubbing?

It was probably the shoulder. Did you you try to adjust the die further and keep trying with a marker?

Did you check to see if the brass needed trimming?

I am thinking the shoulder needs a bump. I doubt the die is out of spec.

I reload for my daughter's 6mm Rem too. Great round. Been using 95gr Nosler BT's and now switched to 85 gr Barnes TTSX's. I have to check my log for exact velocity, but those rascals are wicked.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
did you adjust the dies for your press or just use them as is? It could be as easy as resetting the dies for your press.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I had to take 7mm dies to a machinist to take a little off the bottom end.

I could not bump shoulder back 2 thousandths.

Factory barrel I was fine.
When I re barreled the dies would not bump shoulder enough.

Yours may be the same problem??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Before I did that I would try another shell holder.
if that fails to work then take one and surface grind it or file the top down some.

I have had tight fit to no fit on a few guns. Dies were fine just the tight match chamber and a thicker than normal shell holder. One where the number was stamped was raised to cause the problem. All the different makers shell holders are or can be a little off and not let the case in the die enough.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
Before adjusting the die? Priceless. LOL. I guess thats why you are mr gadget.

Betting he does not have match chambers, does not have to turn necks. Connect the dots Mr. Gadget. Much if not all of what can be accomplished with short base shell holders can be done with a Sharpie and die adjustment.

Grinding down a shellholder is not only not needed but ridicuosly hard to do and hard to maintain a level plane.

Pass the butt out tool

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Before adjusting the die? Priceless. LOL. l
Guess you are not smart enough to understand. ....
OP ask question, correct, about sending dies back, correct, I answered before he did that look at the shell holder, correct?
Some people just need help.

Before adjusting the die? Priceless. LOL. I guess thats why you are mr gadget.

Betting he does not have match chambers, does not have to turn necks. Connect the dots Mr. Gadget. Much if not all of what can be accomplished with short base shell holders can be done witsh a Sharpie and die adjustment.

Grinding down a shellholder is not only not needed but ridicuosly hard to do and hard to maintain a level plane.

Pass the butt out tool

Im sure he has adjusted the dies. It was also stated a few posts up.
I feel sure he has loaded before and has a little knowledge of it and tried adjusting them.

That info I provided was also given from Lyman and RCBS in the past.
been loading many years..
Know what I'm talking about here like it or not.
Not all match chambers need to have the neck turned you should know that. We don't even have spec on the gun or anything.

Funny you state I was wrong but state a short base shell holder may help and that was just what I was takling about. Check the shell holder.
BTW how will the sharpie fix a problem with the die or shellholder.
That can help you find the problem but in no way fixes it.
Most people that are marking, or fitting use Dykem. Works better and is the correct tool of the trade when machining something.

This info was given to him for his use.
So go back in the hole you come out of.

BTW surface grinding the shell holder is easy. It has been on all the ones we have done. Also tuning dies along with working on bullet molds.
Also just a good file will clean some of the raised areas where they number some of the shell holders on top of the rim. Most have changed to side markings or on the primmer relief cut because it was a problem in the older days of reloading.
May be hard for you as you have no clue.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
So a little background is due, I guess. The fella that bedded and floated the rifle for me was the one doing the reloading (we were at his place in KY). He’s been gunsmithing and reloading longer than I’ve been alive, so I tend to take his word for things. We adjusted the die as much as we could, and the cases were still tight. I don't remember if we swapped the shell holder or not, but it’s the same one he uses for his wife’s .243. We trimmed all the brass as well. I’m gonna send the dies back with the brass and see what happens. I know it’s not just the rifle because they’re tight in mine, too.

Last edited:

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Your wife's rifle, custom barrel or factory. I've been through this with redding, turns out the dies were spec, but my chamber was not. Took my rifle back to the gunsmith that made the rifle and showed him the dia's and reddings response. He made me a custom die for the cost of the blank Newlon blank. Now my brass barley moves and I'm getting 12 to 15 firings per brass. Total PIA, but awesome in the end. That is a great, easy to shoot, but deadly round. Worth the effort to get it right.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Your wife's rifle, custom barrel or factory. I've been through this with redding, turns out the dies were spec, but my chamber was not. Took my rifle back to the gunsmith that made the rifle and showed him the dia's and reddings response. He made me a custom die for the cost of the blank Newlon blank. Now my brass barley moves and I'm getting 12 to 15 firings per brass. Total PIA, but awesome in the end. That is a great, easy to shoot, but deadly round. Worth the effort to get it right.

Factory Remington Mohawk 600. Damn thing’s loud as hell, lol.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
A crush fit it not a bad thing. How tight is tight? Can you close the bolt? I am assuming you made dummy rounds and that's what you are using before you load up a bunch of ammo.........

A FL die will not size to virgin specs. Virgin brass is made to fit everything and anything, thus it is a little smaller to begin the process of expansion and blueprinting your chamber.

What kind of press do you have? Very easy to cam over with a RCBS RC press. Don't give up on adjusting the die. Is your press different from the person who reloaded for you? Use the Sharpie on a sized case (especially the shoulder) to see where it's rubbing. Try screwing the die down a little more. Brass will flow away from the head to the mouth pushing the shoulder forward. You might have to bump the shoulder a kiss. The Sharpie will tell you. Screw the die down a bit further even if you cam over.

Wilson case gauges are great for adjusting dies. It's a great gadget. LOL :donk:donk:donk.

I am assuming the gun does not have a short throat and you are not seating bullets too far out, only to magazine constraints. Hit the ogive with a sharpie too while you have it out.

If you PM me your number, we can walk through it while you sit at your bench.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
A crush fit it not a bad thing. How tight is tight? Can you close the bolt? I am assuming you made dummy rounds and that's what you are using before you load up a bunch of ammo.........

A FL die will not size to virgin specs. Virgin brass is made to fit everything and anything, thus it is a little smaller to begin the process of expansion and blueprinting your chamber.

What kind of press do you have? Very easy to cam over with a RCBS RC press. Don't give up on adjusting the die. Is your press different from the person who reloaded for you? Use the Sharpie on a sized case (especially the shoulder) to see where it's rubbing. Try screwing the die down a little more. Brass will flow away from the head to the mouth pushing the shoulder forward. You might have to bump the shoulder a kiss. The Sharpie will tell you. Screw the die down a bit further even if you cam over.

Wilson case gauges are great for adjusting dies. It's a great gadget. LOL :donk:donk:donk.

I am assuming the gun does not have a short throat and you are not seating bullets too far out, only to magazine constraints. Hit the ogive with a sharpie too while you have it out.

When the guy that's reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds over his lifetime tells me it's to tight, I believe it's to tight. The bolt closes, but it's hard enough to make a follow-up shot out of the question. I have a lee press, but his was an RCBS. There was no adjusting the die further. It was completely maxed out. I have a smaller lee loader and haven't had this problem with that. I'm confident it had nothing to do with bullet seating because we tried closing the bolt with empty trimmed brass. Like I said before as well, it did the same thing in 2 completely different rifles.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
When the guy that's reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds over his lifetime tells me it's to tight, I believe it's to tight. The bolt closes, but it's hard enough to make a follow-up shot out of the question. I have a lee press, but his was an RCBS. There was no adjusting the die further. It was completely maxed out. I have a smaller lee loader and haven't had this problem with that. I'm confident it had nothing to do with bullet seating because we tried closing the bolt with empty trimmed brass. Like I said before as well, it did the same thing in 2 completely different rifles.

Yeah sounds like a huge issue with the dies. FL dies should resize brass back to SAAMI specs and should fit any chamber that is cut to SAAMI specs. And considering both rifles are factory if anything they have slightly oversized chambers and if the resized brass isn’t fitting then there are major issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
So the RCBS tech called me a week or so ago and said the dies were fine. Apparently we weren't "overcamming" them. He resized the brass I sent him with these dies and they fit just fine. I tried them this morning (got the dies back on the 23rd) and they chamber just fine. I'm not sure what effect this will have on my setup since I use a Lee brand press, but we'll see. Probably won't be loading for a while anyway, but the property we're looking at has a nice place to put a 150 yard range. Hopefully if everything works out we'll be doing a lot more shooting in 6 months....

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Over camming - you mean that you just spun the die down until it touched the shellholder at it's highest? And proper adjustment to spin the die an extra 1/3 to 1/2 turn after that point to over cam them?

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Over camming - you mean that you just spun the die down until it touched the shellholder at it's highest? And proper adjustment to spin the die an extra 1/3 to 1/2 turn after that point to over cam them?

I guess. That's basically what the guy said.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer

Like I said earlier, PM me if you need any help. Glad to walk you through it. Solving these kinds of problems are part of reloading.

Wilson case gauges are great for adjusting dies. They will tell you where you need to be or if you are getting close.