"Cowboy" 22LR Revolvers

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My oldest has asked for a Cowboy pistol for Christmas. He doesn't hunt much but he likes to shoot. This is something that we can do together. My question is, are the Rough Riders worth the money, or should I go on up to the Ruger? I have a Chiappa rifle that seems to be a good rifle and I see that they have a 1873 style pistol. Does anyone have an opinion on them? Just looking some advice to give to Santa.
Thanks,

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I really like my rough rider. It’s my woods gun and my favorite plinker....however it’s definitely not a work of art

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Cabelas has the Rough Rider on sale for $140. I own a few Ruger single actions but no experience with Heritage.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have one and it is just fine for me for what it is. Just be prepared to maybe do a little work. Mine shot so low I had to file a third of the front sight down to get it right. That was no big deal. A friend of mine just came up this week and he had one he had not fired. After a couple of shots with me watching he was waaaay low so I took the weapon to give it a try. I couldn't find the front sight. When I looked closely at the top of the gun, the casting of the frame had left the rear of the sight channel blocked. A little file work should have that fixed.

I love my rough rider for what I bought it for... a cheap beater. It's no show piece for sure, but accurate enough out of the box with no modifications. No filing needed on mine. The one thing I hate about it is the safety they put on it. It's a nice little gun for the money though.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
CDNN Sports has a stainless Ruger Single 10 listed ...if you're wanting something that not everyone has...I've always wanted one of those.

I've got a few single/double 22 revolvers and it's hard to beat the old H&R or Hi-Standards for fun and function

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a stainless Ruger Single Six, it’s one of my favorite firearms. A pleasure to shoot.
A good friend has one the Rough Riders, while it’s not as “pretty” it’s certainly functioned fine.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I have a Ruger and the Rough Rider. Rider is a great gun to plink around with. I use as my side arm when hunting or putting out corn or riding 4 wheeler. Mine is dead on accurate and was straight out the box. I have had mine at least 10 years and I run a couple hundred rounds a year thru it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am not a fan of the Rough Riders, sold several (ordered for people) over the years. Some had problems which they promptly took care of. IF you do go with one spend the little extra and get the adjustable sight model, I will say that. Personally I would go with a Ruger of some kind.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I have the Rough Rider with a 9inch barrel. Great plinker. I take it hunting with me... something to dispatch a deer if need be. I have the .22 cylinder and a .22 magnum cylinder. I gave somewhere around 190 bucks or so for it.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Chiappa makes a 10 shot .22LR with adjustable sights. If I were looking for a cowboy style .22 single action and didn't get a Ruger I'd buy the Chiappa.

<>< Fish

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
I have the Rough Rider with a 9inch barrel. Great plinker. I take it hunting with me... something to dispatch a deer if need be. I have the .22 cylinder and a .22 magnum cylinder. I gave somewhere around 190 bucks or so for it.

thats what I have! paid about the same. not disappointed at all

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
My grandfather gave me a Ruger Single Six with a 22 mag cylinder when I was around 10. It is very accurate enough that I squirell hunt with it exclusievely and has never had any issues in 23 years of having the snot shot out of it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's a really cool 22lr on CDNN Sports right now for bid. Bearcat.
d6b6215bf944a85551bc0b201dafee61.jpg

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Chiappa makes a 10 shot .22LR with adjustable sights. If I were looking for a cowboy style .22 single action and didn't get a Ruger I'd buy the Chiappa.

<>< Fish

I ordered me one of these this week along with a S&W Shield. I figured for a couple hundred dollars, the Chiappa would be worth it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
so does Ruger now, it's called the Single Ten.
s.

They still make batches of the single six but yes they have called the other a single action 10 shot 22 or single 10.
Dont remember what the roll print is on the guns. Mine are all older single six or 3 screws.

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
yeah i really like the old H&R cowboy styled double actions like the 949. Evidently other folks do to as they have gone up in price a bit. The Heritage is a good choice but for an heirloom quality gift from Dad i would definitely drop a couple hundred more on the Ruger and be done with it.