Gambrel in the Garage

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone know how to set up a gambrel and pulley system inside a garage? I would just sink an I Hook into the ceiling, but I have no way of checking to see if there's anything solid up there to hold it in place.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go up in your overhead in your attic in the garage. Take a 2X4 turned edgewise and span the bottom runner on at least three trusses and then just use the center truss of the thee as you truss to fasten your EYE BOLT to. Hang your pulley and gambrel on it and it will handle any deer you kill in NC.

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
my drywall is unfinished in the garage. it is easy to see where the studs or joists are. i found the center of one of them and predrilled a small hole in it to screw in an eye bolt. used a clevice off of that to attach to my pulley. For the rope, i tie it off to a boat cleat I screwed to the studs in the wall. Easy Peasy!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
What’s above your garage? That will tell you how much support you may need. If it’s just a roof I would try to span a few trusses with a 2x4 and put a bolt into that. If it’s a joist you’ll be fine just finding the center of one. Either get a stud finder or some stiff wire and start feeling for the beam.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I just screwed an eye bolt into a joist and screwed a boat cleat on the wall. If you have a stud finder, it's an easy job.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I just hang them off the metal track that the garage door rides in.....one guy lifts the deer, other pulls the rope over the top and ties it off to the vertical section of the same garage door track....then you have a spare guy with you to shuttle beers to the skinning station. Never ever bent or broke a garage door track...they's stronger than they look.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I just hang them off the metal track that the garage door rides in.....one guy lifts the deer, other pulls the rope over the top and ties it off to the vertical section of the same garage door track....then you have a spare guy with you to shuttle beers to the skinning station. Never ever bent or broke a garage door track...they's stronger than they look.

That's an idea I've never heard before, might try it. As far as I can tell there's no way to access the area above the garage; we have an attic but it doesn't extend that far.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
An easy way to find a ceiling joist(or stud in a wall) without a stud finder, is run a magnet across your ceiling(or wall.) You'll feel the pull when you get close to a drywall nail.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ I don't believe that's what the manufacturer had in mind when they marketed that product.

I would have to think that is ticket-worthy if they passed an LEO, but maybe not? :confused:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ I don't believe that's what the manufacturer had in mind when they marketed that product.

I would have to think that is ticket-worthy if they passed an LEO, but maybe not? :confused:

You may be correct. But, just what could/would be the charge? I'm not sure there's been one written to cover that.. :)

nchunt101

Ten Pointer

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
What time and effort? The whole job took me about 15 minutes to install the eye hook and boat cleat in the garage. About 10 minutes of that time was trying to find my stud finder. Now I don't need to find some place to store a skinning rack when not in use.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
What time and effort? The whole job took me about 15 minutes to install the eye hook and boat cleat in the garage. About 10 minutes of that time was trying to find my stud finder. Now I don't need to find some place to store a skinning rack when not in use.

Not so much installing it but backing all the cars out/cleaning the blood etc. Most garages I have seen are serve as a storage/shop area. It just seems like it would be a lot less mess and quicker to clean one outside.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I place a tarp on the floor then hose the blood off the tarp after.

I may try that. Right now I put down one of those throwaway plastic drop clothes that you use for painting.

I don't want to clean one outside. On these warm days, I would have to deal with flies. I won't want the blood dripping on the ground because my house dogs will probably end up rolling in it. I'm also not a fast processors. I like to do it casually and take a lot of breaks. I can sit in a nice comfortable seat in my garage and not feel the need to rush the job due to avoid flies or finish before it gets dark.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I put up a chain hoist in my utility building (it has a garage door).

Honestly, the guy who does my processing charges $65 if I take it to him field-dressed (he does the rest). That’s what I do, unless I’m caping one out.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
This is what I use. Has 4 pins, comes apart and will ride on the trailer under the ATV or beside.
Has a 2.5k winch to lift anything. Lifts anything I need to do and has lifted my ATV for replacing tire.
Has 2 lift points that keep the deer from rotating. Wide enough and tall enough to back truck or trailer under to lift deer from truck, ATV or trailer. Runs on 12 battery, or plugs to truck or ATV with QD plug. 2" 1/4" wall tube, 2.5" sockets and mounts.20181124_091823.jpg

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought one of these from Agri Supply a few weeks ago. Haven't done a deer on it yet but it loaded a generator nicely.8a94382e-66de-4508-8aac-803b5ea1dc1a_1.879747207975be28f9e3255e3838371a.jpeg

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I bought one of these from Agri Supply a few weeks ago. Haven't done a deer on it yet but it loaded a generator nicely.View attachment 23595
Friend has one to load his generator. ..
Takes some time to set up but works fine. Little tight fitting on some deer I would guess.
His gen would slide up the bar when lifted.

This is what I put up at the house to use now. I use it for all types of things. 20150227_115102.jpg

Last edited: