Hunting around in 50 years?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I know there are other stories around, but about 30 years ago a group of us from high school had a little club in Franklin Co. and started leasing some land that we had hunted all our lives. We put together over 2000 acres at that time. When I left the area about 5 years later there was less than 300 of it left in the leases. All the rest had been sold and completely closed to hunting. Never assume that any land that you don't have complete control over, as in own, will be available for any given length of time.

Yep...If I were a man that made a lot of money and still worked for a living, I would buy as many large parcels as I could within 30 minutes of home.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I know there are other stories around, but about 30 years ago a group of us from high school had a little club in Franklin Co. and started leasing some land that we had hunted all our lives. We put together over 2000 acres at that time. When I left the area about 5 years later there was less than 300 of it left in the leases. All the rest had been sold and completely closed to hunting. Never assume that any land that you don't have complete control over, as in own, will be available for any given length of time.

Agree 100% If you dont own it, nothing it set in stone.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Hunting has been around since the beginning of man. Zero chance it just disappears in a generation and a half IMO.....ZERO. Sure, land could be more scarce, especially if we start selling off public lands to the highest bidder, but it could be more plentiful in some parts as well.

The fact is that people are moving cities in droves, this has been happening for decades. More people now living in urban areas than live in rural areas, never in our history has this happened before. That is consolidating the population to major cities and is also leaving rural cities on the decline. That means more land and less residential need for it, possibly on the cheap. Don't believe me? Go price rural land in a rust belt ( or rural state) and see what I mean.

Hunting is generational tradition in many families and those don't just die out overnight.

Last edited:

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Go read Agenda 21 by Glen Beck and you will find your answer. I first read this about 5 years ago and laughed, just re-read it and was amazed how far we have advanced towards this concept.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
I've spent a fair amount of time hunting in the UK. They are much further beyond us in the whole urban/progressive/liberal scale and yet they still have a viable hunting system. They have to, deer left unhunted are extremely damaging.

Their system, or at least parts of it, are what I expect in 50 years. This will include
A) a professional class of deer cullers
B) a recreational/semi-professional class that are trained and certified on a regular basis
C) control of deer by land-owners in conjunction with biologists. No more state game agencies, instead "shareholders" will carry much more weight
D) venison treated as a marketable product, with sales in stores or exports to countries that will buy it.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
The way things are going hunting will be more popular in 50 than ever before. But we will be hunting other things, like rats, feral cats and dogs, and each other. :rolleyes:

Rc187

Six Pointer
Best reply so far, as a still relatively young person at 31 I wish somebody would have told me this 10 years ago.
I agree great reply. I also wish i had been told this when i was younger though i took up hunting on my own and had/have no true guidance in the matter. I will admit from my viewpoint hunting is incredibly satisfying but also incredibly difficult to stick with. Finding land is near impossible now for reasons already stated, asking for guidance is almost always a quick NO in my experience if you get lucky and find land someone will surely be there hunting or tresspassing every time youre not there, people will do almost anything for antlers tresspass,hunt your land,sabotage stands steal blinds cameras etc. I love being outdoors and i love sitting down and sharing game i have harvested with family and friends but i have a constant struggle just trying to stick with it for the above stated reasons and i often times tell people that ask dont even try and start unless you have money to travel to outfitters or land of your own. If hunting isnt around in 50 years it will be a combination of reasons

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I think it will in very rural areas. I think it will be restricted in areas close to liberal populations.

Gunpowder

Four Pointer
Alot of the problem is inheritance taxes. I have had several farming friends who just wantet to keep their place and farm it. Dad dies and the land gets valued at its highest valued use. That means it gets taxed as a potential shopping mall or a neighborhood. Next thing you know my buddy has to come up with a couple million for taxes to inherit his own farm. They always end up selling off a chunk to a developer just so they have enough cash to inherit the rest. Eventually most become developers themselves because its easy money to just sell off pieces of the farm.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
It’ll still be around, but it’s just gonna get harder. Public lands will be more crowded and private lands more scarce, especially in the piedmont. I echo the sentiment about buying land. If you have land and don’t want it developed after you pass I’d suggest willing it either to the game lands program, parks, or a conservancy of some sort. The I-40 and I-85 corridors in the piedmont are exploding, and aren’t showing any signs of change in the next 50 years.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
No doubt Policy Makers could make hunting more difficult. But, as long as we still have property rights, people will hunt.....

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It will get tough for you folks. NC is quickly becoming the most populated state on the east coast and it will not slow down.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It will get tough for you folks. NC is quickly becoming the most populated state on the east coast and it will not slow down.

that is a fact,,,,popular "move to" location from folks north and south of NC,,,,,