Hunting License Test

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ya'll see the girl in Missouri I think it was... shot an elk thinking it was a big whitetail buck? I don't want to knock on her to hard because she is a kid but wow.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Here's a thought. How about a short test on the hunting regulations, much like a driver's license test, prior to being issued a first hunting license. Maybe it would force folks to actually read the regulations. I remember when I was 12 and got my first gun, I was given a copy of the regulations at the same time which I read eagerly a number of times. Seems that is lacking these days. Shame.

I keep reading and hearing that we need new hunters to keep our hunting heritage alive. So putting another obstacle in their way is probably going to prove counterproductive. But I have to keep reg books around at home and in the truck as my old memory ain't what it used to be. The reg books are pretty well organized and easy to read. But there's the rub, you have to actually read them. And good luck with that.

Up until this year Holly Shelter has always been a 3-day per week area. I saw a group of guys from Wilmington in there hunting on an off day one time. Stopped and asked what they were doing. “Deer hunting” was the answer. I asked them if they realized that was an off-day. Blank stares. I asked if they’d read reg book that they got with their license. Nope. I like to think I saved them a ticket that day...