Another shooting

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are we going to trust the media to tell us if they weapons were bought "legally" and it was the system that failed? The guy knowingly bought the weapons after he knew he didn't qualify to buy them...that's all we really need to know.
They are swinging this toward the mental health line of thought now at last check, there must be a budget thing for that needing to be passed. Never let a good tragedy pass without trying to use it for another totally different agenda.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Are we going to trust the media to tell us if they weapons were bought "legally" and it was the system that failed? The guy knowingly bought the weapons after he knew he didn't qualify to buy them...that's all we really need to know.
They are swinging this toward the mental health line of thought now at last check, there must be a budget thing for that needing to be passed. Never let a good tragedy pass without trying to use it for another totally different agenda.

The background check system needs an update. The system should have prevented his purchases. There is no excuse for someone being dishonorably discharged from the armed services for beating their spouse to not be in the system.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The background check system needs an update. The system should have prevented his purchases. There is no excuse for someone being dishonorably discharged from the armed services for beating their spouse to not be in the system.

He very well could have been in the system and the crooked media would never report it...I guess we could have one of the FFL holders here run his name...but that isn't the best way of telling either since we don't have his SS#.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I read that he bought it at Academy Sports in Colorado and used a fake ID. It was in the comments of the story on CBSNEWS so it is hard to say if it is true or not.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I read that he bought it at Academy Sports in Colorado and used a fake ID. It was in the comments of the story on CBSNEWS so it is hard to say if it is true or not.

I would never trust the comments section of any story on any website.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Reminds me- wasn’t the Sandy Hook shooter denied a purchase at Dicks Bc he put something screwy on the 4473 or the sales person was suspicious? Can’t remember exactly the details on that. Or was it debunked??

Either way, that kid wound up killing his mom & taking her guns from the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dude was dishonorable discharge from air force that makes him unable to have a gun.... He posts on Facebook his new gun..... Suggest to me that there was people who knew this pos who knew something and should of done something. Those are the people we got to do something about....you can't just turn your head ànd ignore it when someone you know shouldn't have a gun obtains one.
He also pulled time the for beating his wife and doing bodily harm to his stepson while married during service. The military equivalent of a felony. Yet it wasn't recorded to show up on a NCIC check. He had bought several handguns and at least one long gun legally. Yet the dems still want more laws. He wasn't eligible to possess a firearm much less buy one but he fell through the cracks. But they still scream for more.

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sad as it gets. I hate it for the victims and their surviving family members left w/o them.

Not to say that one hurts more than any other, but what about the husband that lost 3 of his 4 children and his pregnant wife?

I can't begin to imagine....

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Not to say that one hurts more than any other, but what about the husband that lost 3 of his 4 children and his pregnant wife?

I can't begin to imagine....

I did not know this. Not enough medication in this world. I would not find a reason to go on, ever again, except the one child.

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I did not know this. Not enough medication in this world. I would not find a reason to go on, ever again, except the one child.

That man was the son of the assistant pastor, who was killed, along with his wife, the survivors mother. His brother and his infant niece were killed as well. News is now saying they had 5 children.

I was just talking with my wife. Sure, in our faith as we are, I can't begin to comprehend how I'd manage to fake being strong for my remaining child/children.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I would lose my faith. Zero question. No preacher in the world could bring be back from this. Or explain it. Or try to.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Let's just hope that he got the gun some other way, not through a slip up in the back ground check system. If that comes true I can only imagine the wrath we'll pay in the future when purchasing a gun....

My worst fears came true, the system failed. I can only imagine what new twist their going to come up with now to over compensate.....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
My worst fears came true, the system failed. I can only imagine what new twist their going to come up with now to over compensate.....

They just need to really look at completely overhauling how the background check system works....apparently its more of a collaboration of existing systems all tied together....maybe they need to look at streamlining the system or creating a single system for all the different groups to use ( military, law enforcement, mental health etc ). Of course as long as you have people having to add this info in there will be mistakes made....that is the cost of freedom though.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

The system failed on may fronts. This scumbag should have locked away for life with what he did to his step-son. The Air Force did not report the domestic violence and he didn't show up as dishonorably discharged when he lied about it on the form.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Regulatory prohibitions are passive "systems" of security that have never - nor will they ever - offer any meaningful level of personal safety. They are nothing more than feel-good measures. These poor folks were victim's because they didn't have the means and/or wherewithal to protect themselves.

During a nasty marriage separation and the subsequent strife that often accompanies such events, I remember telling a beautiful young woman one time that I thought her husband was fully capable of killing her and that she had several choices;

1. Hire a bodyguard,
2. Move to a place where he couldn't find her, or
3. Arm herself and hope for the best.

She didn't like those options and asked me about securing a DV Protection Order. I told her it wasn't worth the paper it was written on if he was determined to cause her harm. 13-days later she was dead .... the victim of a murder/suicide at the hands of her husband.

Did some "system" fail her? I suppose ..... but only because she put her faith in it.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like he should have been in jail, assaulting someone enough to fracture their skull should get you way more than a 1 yr stint in prison....especially if that person is a child. He also escaped from a mental hospital and was caught trying to sneak guns onto the base to most likely carry out death threats he had made to his chain of command. So many people died because this whack job wasn't locked up like he should have been.

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
The things that were missed or let slide on this so called man is shocking! He beat his wife and child! Plea agreement to do 3 years! but was let out after 1 year! He threatened his chain of command and even had been caught trying to get firearms on to the base! Escaped from a Pysc ward, re-captured. Beat his dog! The police were going to arrest him but then just let him go with a citation! Illegally bought firearms by lying on a the FFL paper work! He stalked his former girl friends! What he got a way with is shameful and a travesty!

All this stuff was ignored, but now we need to pass tougher laws on law abiding citizens! Honestly some of the government people that let this happen(military)(police)(mental ward) need to see some jail time!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The things that were missed or let slide on this so called man is shocking! He beat his wife and child! Plea agreement to do 3 years! but was let out after 1 year! He threatened his chain of command and even had been caught trying to get firearms on to the base! Escaped from a Pysc ward, re-captured. Beat his dog! The police were going to arrest him but then just let him go with a citation! Illegally bought firearms by lying on a the FFL paper work! He stalked his former girl friends! What he got a way with is shameful and a travesty!

All this stuff was ignored, but now we need to pass tougher laws on law abiding citizens! Honestly some of the government people that let this happen(military)(police)(mental ward) need to see some jail time!

Yep..and prison time needs to be punishment...not coddling of these criminals. If there is no fear of incarceration or fear of punishment..exactly what is the deterrent to keep these criminals from repeating the offense or in the case, even worse? If this criminal would have had the proper punishment he wouldn't have been able to kill anyone with a gun..he would still be locked in a prison cell.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Yep..and prison time needs to be punishment...not coddling of these criminals. If there is no fear of incarceration or fear of punishment..exactly what is the deterrent to keep these criminals from repeating the offense or in the case, even worse? If this criminal would have had the proper punishment he wouldn't have been able to kill anyone with a gun..he would still be locked in a prison cell.

Recidivism among violent offenders is very high, any crime committed with a gun should get a automatic 15 yr mandatory no parole sentence....any other violent crime should get 10 yrs no parole.....how many times when someone is murdered does the murderer have a extensive rap sheet full of stuff that should have resulted in them being in jail. If we stop letting these POS useless people back out into society the base number of gun deaths and crime in general would drop a lot almost overnight. We had a guy killed here in Pitt Co a few yrs back and his killer had gotten out of prison the day before after serving a few yrs on a reduced sentence on yet another violent felony charge.....

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The only thing that some folks understand is SURE and SWIFT PUNiSHMENT. If that doesn't exist ... they pay NO attention to laws, let alone right and wrong.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The system failed to restrict access to gun purchases by troubled individuals in the Texas case and the SC church shooting.

Accountability should start with management and employees within the system.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I just read that they are going to demolish church. Not sure I understand why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.- Jeff Cooper

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If we stop letting these POS useless people back out into society the base number of gun deaths and crime in general would drop a lot almost overnight.

I couldn't agree more. Gotta vote Republican to get there though because the Democrats simply won't do it. Just sayin.....