Rare fish caught

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Went Carpin yesterday and caught 4 big ones and an Extremely Rare Mirror Carp.
a great day. Caught ~10 channel cats as well.
North carolina 15 lb carp.JPGNorth Carolina Mirror carp.JPG

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Never even heard of a Mirror Carp b4, I suppose its an invasive species not native to NA? Good catch on the Cats as well, fine eating there but I have eaten Carp b4...

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Congrats!! If you don't mind tell me a little on how you fish for carp in the lakes? I've caught them in pay lakes but I'm wanting to try to catch some for fun in wild waters. Do you bait ahead of time? What baits are good? Is this the best time of year? I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Never even heard of a Mirror Carp b4, I suppose its an invasive species not native to NA? Good catch on the Cats as well, fine eating there but I have eaten Carp b4...

From what I have heard, the Asian Carp, I believe, that are in the Mississippi and a number of other large rivers is a very good fish to eat. With as many of them as they are out there, I don't understand why they aren't commercially fished.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
From what I have heard, the Asian Carp, I believe, that are in the Mississippi and a number of other large rivers is a very good fish to eat. With as many of them as they are out there, I don't understand why they aren't commercially fished.

they are commercially fished but on a small degree right now. Mirror carp are a Genetic Mutation of our Naturalized Common Carp.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I've caught a bunch of mirrors in and around the Piedmont. They aren't that rare in lakes that have them. The rare one is the leather carp, like a mirror but no scales at all.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats!! If you don't mind tell me a little on how you fish for carp in the lakes? I've caught them in pay lakes but I'm wanting to try to catch some for fun in wild waters. Do you bait ahead of time? What baits are good? Is this the best time of year? I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks.

Usually I fish a small point as then makes cruising carp come a little closer. My main like is 16 lb Momoi and a leader of 30 lb Floro . weight is either oz or 1.5 oz.
You need thick heavy flour for the leader as You want the carp to feel the leader once they suck in the bait. sounds backwards but what the carp does once they feel the leader is they try to spit it out. The stiff Fluro usually will not get spit out and they scare and run thus setting the hook on themselves. Leader nneds to be short to make it stiffer. 1 to 2 inches is all . packbait of oatmeal and creamcorn goes on the weight and hook has 4 - 5 kernels of whole kernal corn.
Got a few other ingredients but they are secret. there was a guy European fishing around from me and my rig and bait smoked him that day.

redbow

Ten Pointer
Nice fish. I can tell you have a YouTube channel by your over the top titles. Gotta grab their attention right?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I've caught a bunch of mirrors in and around the Piedmont. They aren't that rare in lakes that have them. The rare one is the leather carp, like a mirror but no scales at all.

definitely rare raleigh east. maybe not so much in the middle and western piedmont but lakes around here with Mirrors are few and far between.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Usually I fish a small point as then makes cruising carp come a little closer. My main like is 16 lb Momoi and a leader of 30 lb Floro . weight is either oz or 1.5 oz.
You need thick heavy flour for the leader as You want the carp to feel the leader once they suck in the bait. sounds backwards but what the carp does once they feel the leader is they try to spit it out. The stiff Fluro usually will not get spit out and they scare and run thus setting the hook on themselves. Leader nneds to be short to make it stiffer. 1 to 2 inches is all . packbait of oatmeal and creamcorn goes on the weight and hook has 4 - 5 kernels of whole kernal corn.
Got a few other ingredients but they are secret. there was a guy European fishing around from me and my rig and bait smoked him that day.

you really have secret ingredients? is it better than the root beer deer corn?

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Does anyone know if the neuse river still has good carp numbers? I have not fished for them in many years but my son wants to catch some. Those pack baits are nice, saw those online. Also what does the best way to cook them, I personally have never eaten one but would try if we manage to catch a few.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yep, is it better than the root beer in the deer corn?? Probably. :D Deer luv that root beer though. have you tried it?

no but i came close till i got some white farm corn from silk hope. I think he does something to it.

i am just playin on the cartp. We fished paid ponds back in my youth and it was incredible the lengths guys went to protect their recipe. Of course that was a money deal.

i do wish i had been informed back then to use european tactics, your success nothwitstanding they have to be better than that heavy stuff we hurled then.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I wish I had a dollar for every mirror we shot on Jordan and falls back in our bowfishing hay day. Some nights if we shot 150, 12-15 would be mirrors.

That's a nice day Mack. I love when you carp fish and catfish. There's a lot of people who think they are rare, must be that not many people target them. I've caught over 10 in the last year from Jordan lake and from the Cape fear Below Jordan. Have caught more in Jordan tho. Never caught one anywhere else tho so maybe Jordan just has a good population of mirrors lol.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That's a nice day Mack. I love when you carp fish and catfish. There's a lot of people who think they are rare, must be that not many people target them. I've caught over 10 in the last year from Jordan lake and from the Cape fear Below Jordan. Have caught more in Jordan tho. Never caught one anywhere else tho so maybe Jordan just has a good population of mirrors lol.

bingo, they (CH enviromentalists) have always said jordan's waters were so nasty that strange things would occur in the fish.

mack says mirrors are a mutation. jordan would be exactly the lake to expect mutants. LOL.

darkthirty you are the expert, any validity to that theory, you too say it's full of mirrors.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

Tks, I very very rarely fish Jordan for Carp. I fish it all the time just not for carp. There are big ones in there but fishing you have to go through lots and lots of little ones. Jordan is loaded with 2 lb carp and thats is what I dont want when fishing. the Haw on the other hand has more big ones in the river. we rarely catch a small in on in the haw. talking of the Haw in Alamance co.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
bingo, they (CH enviromentalists) have always said jordan's waters were so nasty that strange things would occur in the fish.

mack says mirrors are a mutation. jordan would be exactly the lake to expect mutants. LOL.

darkthirty you are the expert, any validity to that theory, you too say it's full of mirrors.

from the web OS ..

"The difference between mirror and its wild ancestor, the common carp, is both genetic and visual - biologically they are similar. "

"The mirror carp was the first mutation of common carp, owing to two alternative genes, the S and the N alleles. The genetic term for a mirror carp is "ssnn" (all recessive). "

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

I Appreciate the “expert” claim but I don’t know much about common carp. Haha

I wouldn’t go as far to say Jordan is full of’em but I’d say back when I lived here, we shot jordan a lot at night. I’d venture to guess we’ve shot 3-4000 carp there over the years and I’d guess 10-15% were mirrors with a handful of leathers mixed in.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
We used to fish largemouth bass in Spain. We would fish for the bass until it got so hot we wanted off the lake so we went back to camp and set up for carp fishing.

We didn't go fancy for bait. Just took two slices of loaf bread, wad it up in your hand and dunk it in the water and immediately take it out. Take a couple more slices of bread and kneed it with the previously soaked slices until it became thoroughly mixed. We would use a treble hook and make a small ball on the treble hook. We would use an "egg sinker" threading the line thru the sinker and place a small split shot about 6 - 8 inches up from the hook between the hook and the egg sinker. This allowed the carp to suck in the bait with practically no resistance. We would leave some slack line hanging down from the rod tip. As the fish took off they would take up the slack and pull the rod tip alerting you to a strike.

We would grab a cooler with iced down beer, crawl up in the shade and wait for the fish to take off. We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. Many times even before we got back into the shade it was fish on.