Slugs out of a 870 - choke or no choke?

GranvilleGobbler

Button Buck
I realize this question has likely come up here but I'm relatively new to hunting...especially deer hunting. I've got a Remington 870 Express and I'm going to shoot some Remington Sluggers out of it this weekend - Cabela's rep warned me against shooting them through anything other than an open cylinder. I've seen on multiple message boards with people saying shooting them through an improved or modified is perfectly fine, maybe even recommended in some cases. I want to try both open and modified (I have the usual mod choke that comes with the 870) but I'm always looking for advice from more experienced hunters/shooters. Anyone have an opinion or some advice? Thanks!

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That Cabela's rep is wrong. I've shot more Winchester and Remington foster slugs off a bench and hunting than I can count thru my ole 870. I found the modified choke shot slightly tighter groups than improved cylinder.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm gonna have to offer another suggestion...try a rifled choke and sabots. It's not gonna shoot as good as a fully rifled barrel but the combination will shoot much better than a smooth bore and punkin balls.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I've killed several truck loads with rifled slugs out of a fixed full choke. It ain't gonna hurt it.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I've shot lots of rifled slugs out of a full choked 12ga. It's only dangerous if you attempt that with other types of slugs like sabots. Don't shoot open choke unless you have a threads protector, you may damage the threads in your barrel. Improved is the general consensus through which to shoot slugs, but tighter chokes will often work fine too.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Winchester and Remington foster slugs off a bench and hunting than I can count thru my ole 870. I found the modified choke shot slightly tighter groups than improved cylinder.

I found just the opposite out of Dads old 870. The Improved barrel shot tighter groups, more consistently than the Modified barrel.

Best to try all the barrels you have!

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Years ago I lived in Indiana for a few years and they were shotgun w/ slug as the only modern gun legal for use. I shot fosters slugs through a 28" modified barrel on my BPS (fixed choke barrel) and got more than good enough accuracy for shots out to 50+/- yards. I wouldn't recommend much tighter constriction as you could potentially push pressures pretty high but you are fine with an IC or MOD.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Stock 870 with improved cylinder 20" barrel and 28" barrel will clover leaf 2.75" 1oz sluggers. Mine carries a Rem saddle mount and a lepould vx1 3-9x40 rifle scope. Will kill deer at 75yds past that they get crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dsink

Eight Pointer
I realize this question has likely come up here but I'm relatively new to hunting...especially deer hunting. I've got a Remington 870 Express and I'm going to shoot some Remington Sluggers out of it this weekend - Cabela's rep warned me against shooting them through anything other than an open cylinder. I've seen on multiple message boards with people saying shooting them through an improved or modified is perfectly fine, maybe even recommended in some cases. I want to try both open and modified (I have the usual mod choke that comes with the 870) but I'm always looking for advice from more experienced hunters/shooters. Anyone have an opinion or some advice? Thanks!

Maybe I am reading to much into it but it sounds like you are between not having a choke screwed in and using the modified choke that came with it. DO NOT shoot it without a choke screwed in. You will ruin the threads for the choke tube. You might already know this so if you do I apologize.