Good one

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Full moon hunt went well. Bat has the hot hand right now.

Cut Rampage and him loose and in short order I saw him looking up on the Garmin just short of .75. Rampage was close to the path I was on at .50 so I took off and loaded him in the box. To I got him loaded Bat was treed.

I drove within 250 yards of Bat and he didn't sound right and it was showing him milling a few yards on the Garmin. I wasn't real happy with that and when I got withing sight of him he was going between two trees about 10 yards apart treeing. I was about to yell at him when I saw what was up. He had coons in both trees. That doesn't happen very often and he was smarter than me. I petted him up and shot the biggest one out which was a boar. I hope the other was a sow and makes it. I quit on that note.
DSCF0808.jpg
DSCF0809.jpg
DSCF0817.jpg
DSCF0806.jpg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He is, and an exceptionally smart one can be a real PITA to work. If you mess up they tend not to forget it. Luckily I didn't do much training him, I let him do his thing and only stood back and corrected or fixed things I saw that might become an issue later on. Which in his case were very few. He is the best dog and really the dog I have wanted all my life hunting curs and he almost came along too late to enjoy. He isn't what an old man should be trying to follow. But unless he outlives me he will die here.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Robert Ruark's granfather told young Robert this about good dogs: "If a man is really intelligent, there’s practically nothing a good dog can’t teach him."

No doubts about the good in the dogs and hunter.

<>< Fish

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
And we think the dogs are the pets and we the masters. A good dog is on par with us humans, an excellent dog can teach us a lot if only we are smart enough to learn. LOL.

I still say that is one beautiful (and intelligent) dog. I'm like you, I wish I had a dog like that a few years ago while I was still able to keep up with the hunt.

Congratulations.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks Larry, I like him. His grandfather was my absolute favorite and he most likely would be but I don't let myself get as attached to them as I once did since his grandfather passed. It put a hole in me and still hurts.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like yall had yet another good night in the woods. We hunted Wednesday on a nearly full moon in South Carolina. With deer season in full swing in all of our spots close to home we had to hit the road. On the way down, we talked about how it might have been best to stay at home with the moon like it was but we were proved wrong. We hunted from right at dark until about 10:00 and saw 5 coons. I'll take that any night anytime. On a lower note, I got word today that a good friend in Danville Va, lost a very nice young dog last night to an accident on the road.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Robert Ruark's granfather told young Robert this about good dogs: "If a man is really intelligent, there’s practically nothing a good dog can’t teach him."

No doubts about the good in the dogs and hunter.

<>< Fish

Haven’t seen Ruark quoted in long time. Great stories.
A bond with a dog(s) is all about trust, and it has to go BOTH ways!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like yall had yet another good night in the woods. We hunted Wednesday on a nearly full moon in South Carolina. With deer season in full swing in all of our spots close to home we had to hit the road. On the way down, we talked about how it might have been best to stay at home with the moon like it was but we were proved wrong. We hunted from right at dark until about 10:00 and saw 5 coons. I'll take that any night anytime. On a lower note, I got word today that a good friend in Danville Va, lost a very nice young dog last night to an accident on the road.
That is a shame about your friends dog, I hate to hear that.

On those moonlit nights I have found unless it goes dark later on I try to get there and cut loose right at dusk. Critters have to eat so I go when I can.