—- Opening Morning Buck —-

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
2DF6001B-B5AE-4D2B-833C-862861CBD45B.jpgFE312259-CC71-4C41-802F-54D7EB37C3AE.jpgFBD16805-7A47-4FB7-9DB7-2C2A6922B57A.jpg

Shot this buck opening morning at 7:39am. He responded to a series of grunts and came in bristled up looking for a scrap. Shot him quartering away at 60yds and when the smoke cleared he was laying 40yds from my stand. He disappeared from trail cams mid August until last Saturday morning. Blessed to have the opportunity to connect on this mature buck.

185 lb Main frame 10 point with kickers. He carried very good mass throughout.

Best of luck with your season fellas!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang what some character on that buck...he'll look good on the wall. How old was he?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I forgot to mention that my Number 1 stand choice was not huntable with the wind direction that morning. I have another target buck coming in regularly at that location and held out. I sat in my 2nd choice stand which had a perfect wind and connected on the No.2 target buck. I am a firm believer on hunting the wind. If it’s not right..... I absolutely will not go near my set. After deeming a stand as my “top choice” I have a second and third planned stand sets that offer favorable winds when my top choice stand wind is wrong. Establishing this prior to the season coming in has been critical to my success in years past.

Last edited:

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
I forgot to mention that my Number 1 stand choice was not huntable with the wind direction that morning. I have another target buck coming in regularly at that location and held out. I sat in my 2nd choice stand which had a perfect wind and connected on the No.2 target buck. I am a firm believer on hunting the wind. If it’s not right..... I absolutely will not go near my set. After deeming a stand as my “top choice” I have a second and third planned stand sets that offer favorable winds when my top choice stand wind is wrong. Establishing this prior to the season coming in has been critical to my success in years past.
My exact ideas.. Wind direction will ruin a stand faster then anything if its wrong. Im a firm believer in not hunting bad winds. Congrats on a very nice buck. One to be proud of and way to stick with your plans.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks fellas. I’m ready for the cold weather to get here and stay. I’ll start dropping some does when I can hang them for a bit.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Closing out smokepole season with a good cold front moving in. Should have the bucks up on their feet.