Who's going coyote trapping tomorrow?

mattharris0414

Going out to try and set 6 dirt hole sets. Has anyone ever tried a pipe set in NC? Whats your favorite set for coyotes? Does anyone make their own bait. Im going to try some funky deer scraps that i have cut up.

josephaclark25

Button Buck
Going out to try and set 6 dirt hole sets. Has anyone ever tried a pipe set in NC? Whats your favorite set for coyotes? Does anyone make their own bait. Im going to try some funky deer scraps that i have cut up.
Kept some Beaver from last year and used that to make bait. I'll have 8-9 set out by the weekend.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
TOO MUCH funk and they roll instead of investigate/dig...hopefully yours is bout right.....if you only have shoulder/side/back hair in the jaws....you will know.

sold 4 qts bait and 4 bottles lure and 6 traps and 12 snares and 12 stakes today.........at lunch break

click on the link in my signature for the low down

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
I may go set a few tomorrow since in off till friday. Might get lucky and find a dumb one

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

josephaclark25

Button Buck
TOO MUCH funk and they roll instead of investigate/dig...hopefully yours is bout right.....if you only have shoulder/side/back hair in the jaws....you will know.

sold 4 qts bait and 4 bottles lure and 6 traps and 12 snares and 12 stakes today.........at lunch break

click on the link in my signature for the low down
First time making bait. It stinks but hopefully it will work.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
I dont even waste my time on skinning them stankin devils. 22 to the dome, toss em far away from my hunting grounds. Removed a decent amount last year. I'll set up after im through with deer hunting.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
I dont even waste my time on skinning them stankin devils. 22 to the dome, toss em far away from my hunting grounds. Removed a decent amount last year. I'll set up after im through with deer hunting.
Good man,,killem all. I watched 2 chase each other around me for 30 min the other morning. Couldnt get them within bow range. They hurtin the deer population around here. Ive seen more yotes then deer this year

RPD689

Spike
I will probably run 100 or so sets in the next few days. I like to keep that number or a few more working until the end of Dec. I'll move them around when the catch falls off or the need to go to a new property arises. I run more when I go east of I95 after deer season.

I have a mediocre bait that works sometimes.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I will probably run 100 or so sets in the next few days. I like to keep that number or a few more working until the end of Dec. I'll move them around when the catch falls off or the need to go to a new property arises. I run more when I go east of I95 after deer season.

I have a mediocre bait that works sometimes.

Yeah. Works sometimes. Lol. ������

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Baited up a few sets yesterday......we will be heading back Saturday so only got short time.....hopefully there is one in the trap this morning

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If any trappers are looking for land in Anson Co. Please pm me got several tracts with yote problems. When they show up bucks seem to leave.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

alexx33

coyote.jpg

Caught my first coyote this morning in NC, I was pretty excited about it.

mattharris0414

What kind of set was it? And what kind of lure did you use? All i have caught so far is 3 grey fox.

RPD689

Spike
Matt

Don't get hung up on sets and lures. Three fox tells me that you are using something that is attractive, it just may not be in the right location. Spend your time and energy learning the coyote and his tendencies, especially as they relate to time of the year. Good sets, proper trap placement and bedding are very important, but none of it matters if you are not where the coyote can find the set. With time and experience, you will be able to reliably predict what he may do and where he will do it.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
What kind of set was it? And what kind of lure did you use? All i have caught so far is 3 grey fox.
Think of a coyote as a freeloader/theif. He wants something easy and doesnt want to have to work hard at getting a meal. Thats why i love a good dirt hole set as they look at is an easy oppurtunity on well travel paths and road beds. The most important thing i learned was to make my sets good and solid so i get no movement in my trap. I like useing fox piss and gator bait lure. Just my personnel preference.

Last edited:

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Set traps on friday. Left the property about 430 had a text at 7ish that I had a grey in one of the trap. Next morning there is also a nice female coyote about 75 feet away also. Can't keep a fox in my county so it was set free. For what it's worth I run victor soft catch #3 and the fox had no damage but was not very friendly lol. I also have multiple swivels on my set ups. I am a strong believer that this will reduce the chance of damage to a fox that Is caught by accident.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Set traps on friday. Left the property about 430 had a text at 7ish that I had a grey in one of the trap. Next morning there is also a nice female coyote about 75 feet away also. Can't keep a fox in my county so it was set free. For what it's worth I run victor soft catch #3 and the fox had no damage but was not very friendly lol. I also have multiple swivels on my set ups. I am a strong believer that this will reduce the chance of damage to a fox that Is caught by accident.

A grey fox thinks he’s a grey wolf, lol. Congrats on the catches!

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Here's a couple from last week caught on BTO, Chunky Cat bait, BeavRcat & Triple Treat lures

7 oaks lued BeavRcat n chunky cat 4 brian (Mobile).jpg7 oaks lured wit BTO an Triple Treat yote 4 brian (Mobile).jpg

Last edited: