Use of dogs to be allowed in eastern NC during archery and black powder deer seasons?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So there you go.

Its been put to bed.

So you ask a biologist about an enforcement issue, way to slant something in a manner to get an answer that you want?

Now, what do you want to bet I can send a question to another section head and get a totally different answer?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
So you ask a biologist about an enforcement issue, way to slant something in a manner to get an answer that you want?

Now, what do you want to bet I can send a question to another section head and get a totally different answer?

Do what you feel you need to.

State law does not give the WRC authority over the use of dogs in hunting in certain counties and parts of counties.

Now confirmed by an employee of the WRC who oversees deer management in this state.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do what you feel you need to.

State law does not give the WRC authority over the use of dogs in hunting in certain counties and parts of counties.

Now confirmed by an employee of the WRC who oversees deer management in this state.
Does he oversee enforcement? Isn't this an enforcement issue?

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Does he oversee enforcement? Isn't this an enforcement issue?

Its both.

I'm sure this issue was looked at by enforcement staff as well.

Someone at the WRC (or maybe outside of it) realized the WRC rules on dog use conflicted with state law.

The WRC also interprets state law as prohibiting the use of dogs in all counties during all turkey seasons for hunting turkey.

That may not be the case either.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To most people it is spelled out pretty plainly on pg. 43 of the regs. digest. That is for the ones Not stirring.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I will tell you now that there will be different language in next years regulations booklet.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Just don't be surprised if you will be able to use dogs in seasons previously misruled off limits.

Happy Thanksgiving

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The NCWRC does have authority over the use of dogs in all counties from April 15 - June 15, so that pretty much covers turkey season.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And so is the opening day of regular turkey season.

So yeah that language in the regs about dogs not being legal?

That's not what state law says depending on the county

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
§ 113-291.5. Regulation of dogs used in hunting; limitations on authority of Wildlife Resources Commission; control of dogs on game lands; control of dogs chasing deer; other restrictions.

(a) Except as provided in G.S. 113-291.4, in the area described below, the Wildlife Resources Commission may regulate the use of dogs taking wildlife with respect to seasons, times, and places of use. The area covered by this subsection is that part of the State in and west of the following counties or parts of counties: Rockingham; Guilford; that part of Alamance and Orange lying south of Interstate Highway 85; Chatham; that part of Wake lying south of N.C. Highway 98; Lee; Randolph; Montgomery; Stanly; Union; and that part of Anson lying west of N.C. Highway 742.

(b) In the area of the State lying east of that described in subsection (a), the Wildlife Resources Commission may not restrict or prohibit the use of dogs in hunting or the training of dogs, in season or out, except during the breeding and raising seasons for game during the period April 15 through June 15.

(c) On game lands, wildlife refuges, and public hunting grounds the Wildlife Resources Commission may regulate the possession and use of dogs and may impound dogs found running at large without supervision or, if unsupervised, without means of identification.

(d) The Wildlife Resources Commission may not by its rules anywhere in the State restrict the number of dogs used in hunting or require that any particular breed of dog be used in hunting.

(e) It is unlawful to allow dogs not under the control of the owner or the individual in possession of the dogs to run or chase deer during the closed deer season.

(f) Nothing in this section is intended to require the leashing or confining of pet dogs. (1979, c. 830, s. 1; 1987, c. 827, s. 98.)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
§ 113-291.5. Regulation of dogs used in hunting; limitations on authority of Wildlife Resources Commission; control of dogs on game lands; control of dogs chasing deer; other restrictions.

(a) Except as provided in G.S. 113-291.4, in the area described below, the Wildlife Resources Commission may regulate the use of dogs taking wildlife with respect to seasons, times, and places of use. The area covered by this subsection is that part of the State in and west of the following counties or parts of counties: Rockingham; Guilford; that part of Alamance and Orange lying south of Interstate Highway 85; Chatham; that part of Wake lying south of N.C. Highway 98; Lee; Randolph; Montgomery; Stanly; Union; and that part of Anson lying west of N.C. Highway 742.

(b) In the area of the State lying east of that described in subsection (a), the Wildlife Resources Commission may not restrict or prohibit the use of dogs in hunting or the training of dogs, in season or out, except during the breeding and raising seasons for game during the period April 15 through June 15.

(c) On game lands, wildlife refuges, and public hunting grounds the Wildlife Resources Commission may regulate the possession and use of dogs and may impound dogs found running at large without supervision or, if unsupervised, without means of identification.

(d) The Wildlife Resources Commission may not by its rules anywhere in the State restrict the number of dogs used in hunting or require that any particular breed of dog be used in hunting.

(e) It is unlawful to allow dogs not under the control of the owner or the individual in possession of the dogs to run or chase deer during the closed deer season.

(f) Nothing in this section is intended to require the leashing or confining of pet dogs. (1979, c. 830, s. 1; 1987, c. 827, s. 98.)
Don't be showing proof, he hates facts. LOL

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You didn't read what I posted ?

Youth season and opening day of regular season are prior to April 15th.

DRS posted the dates with which the WRC can regulate dogs.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
You didn't read what I posted ?

Youth season and opening day of regular season are prior to April 15th.

DRS posted the dates with which the WRC can regulate dogs.

I tried. I took it that even then you thought the NCWRC didn't have the authority to regulate hunting with dogs in some counties.
And so is the opening day of regular turkey season.

So yeah that language in the regs about dogs not being legal?

That's not what state law says depending on the county. CRC

I did say it "pretty much covered turkey season". I left a little wiggle room on purpose, knowing youth and the beginning of turkey season fell a few days to a week prior. Still covers a majority of the turkey season though. I doubt many people will have a trained dog for use on a handful of days.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No argument from me.
I don't see it being a big deal in all reality.

Unless folks want to give the WRC more power over the use of dogs in hunting?