Use of dogs to be allowed in eastern NC during archery and black powder deer seasons?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like the proposed restrictions on the use of dogs are proposed to be rewritten to conform with state statutes? :confused:

(B) In the areas of the state where the WRC is authorized to regulate the use of dogs as
provided in G.S. 113-291.5, dogs
shall not be used for hunting deer during the
blackpowder firearms and archery seasons, except a single dog on a leash
may be used to retrieve a wounded deer in accordance with G.S. 113-291.1(k).

Look on page 22 of the document below. Anybody agree?

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...5-NCWRC-Commission-Meeting-Agenda-Package.pdf

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Huh...I've gone out and walked my dog after going hunting for many years. Once in awhile I even found a deer or two that someone had "missed" an hour or two earlier. I didn't know that the NCWRC now regulated leash laws?

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
East of the so called dog line they cannot except on game lands and in special areas to protect birthing wildlife

But for years it was deemed illegal to use dogs anywhere in the state for deer during the archery only seasons

I wonder why now the language change?

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I believe they're addressing using a tracking dog to recover wounded deer. Wording it this way covers an individual using a dog for deer recovery during the BP / bow seasons in dog hunting counties.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I looked up the general statute referenced.

Says the WRC has authority to regulate hunting dogs in some counties but not others.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
It’s a clarification, nothing more. There’s real mountains somewhere. Go find one instead of standing on this ant hill and proclaiming it to be Mt. Mitchell.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I dropped a note to the WRC asking for clarification of the change.

I'd say allowing dogs during archery season is a big deal.

YMMV

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dropped a note to the WRC asking for clarification of the change.

I'd say allowing dogs during archery season is a big deal.

YMMV
Tracking dogs are getting more common, if you got right down to it before they could have been looked at as being illegal. They are just trying to close a loophole nothing more.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Tracking dogs are getting more common, if you got right down to it before they could have been looked at as being illegal. They are just trying to close a loophole nothing more.

You mean it’s not some grand conspiracy to topple the developed world and hand control over to the NWO? Aghast!!!!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You mean it’s not some grand conspiracy to topple the developed world and hand control over to the NWO? Aghast!!!!!

No conspiracy.

It just shows that for years the WRC ignored state law and prohibited hunting with dogs where they had no authority to do so.

Current 2017-2018 regulations digest text pg 43
It is unlawful to hunt deer with dogs during Archery and
Blackpowder seasons, except a hunter may use a single dog on a
leash to assist the hunter in retrieving a dead or wounded deer.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Current Rule Text (15a ncac 10b.0203) :

(A) Dogs may not be used for hunting deer during the bow and arrow season, except a single
dog on a leash may be used to retrieve a wounded deer in accordance with G.S. 113-
291.1(k)

Text after proposed changes for the 2018-2019 regulations digest:

(A) In the areas of the state where the WRC is authorized to regulate the use of dogs as
provided in G.S. 113-291.5, dogs may not be used for hunting deer during the archery season, except a single dog on a leash may be used to retrieve a
wounded deer in accordance with G.S. 113-291.1(k).

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Here is the relevant text of G.S. 113-291.5:

(b) In the area of the State lying east of that described in subsection (a), the Wildlife Resources Commission may not restrict or prohibit the use of dogs in hunting or the training of dogs, in season or out, except during the breeding and raising seasons for game during the period April 15 through June 15.
(c) On game lands, wildlife refuges, and public hunting grounds the Wildlife Resources Commission may regulate the possession and use of dogs and may impound dogs found running at large without supervision or, if unsupervised, without means of identification.

https://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=113-291.5

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
No conspiracy.

It just shows that for years the WRC ignored state law and prohibited hunting with dogs where they had no authority to do so.

Current 2017-2018 regulations digest text pg 43

Except this change changes absolutely nothing in real life. It just brings regulations more inline with the letter of the law. It’s already illegal to run dogs in the areas you mention, regardless of season. It’s redundant to prohibit it twice. Quit trying to invent a conspiracy where there’s not one.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The current regs language does not differentiate between the areas of the state where the WRC can regulate the use of dogs and where they cannot.

The WRC was regulating the use of dogs in counties where they had no authority to do so. Glad somebody called them on it.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Who is this someone you are so sure that has called them on it? Don't you feel that if they indeed were called it would have surfaced by now if in fact they were doing what you claim?

I believe your tinfoil hat is a little tight.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
It wasn’t necessary. Your point is moot. What they forbid was already banned by statute. The worst the WRC was ever guilty of here was lazy wording, if that. Find another molehill to elevate.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It wasn’t necessary. Your point is moot. What they forbid was already banned by statute. The worst the WRC was ever guilty of here was lazy wording, if that. Find another molehill to elevate.
He thinks he is a reporter, sadly we are his audience.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I believe it was for clarification. One that you could use a leased dog to track a deer. The other to clarify it is not legal to hunt deer with dogs during bow season on game lands(NCWRC has the authority there) even in the dog counties. I think it was a way to clarify that if your training dogs during bow season and they get on game lands the citation/ticket will stick.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Got a reply back from the NCWRC deer biologist:

Dear Dr Shaw,

I was going through this document and noticed proposed changes to the rules regarding the use of dogs during the bow only and blackpowder deer seasons.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...5-NCWRC-Commission-Meeting-Agenda-Package.pdf

I am I correct in assuming the NCWRC is reinterpreting state law to say the WRC has no authority to prohibit the use of dogs on private lands for deer hunting in eastern counties even during bow season?

His reply:

That's correct.

Last edited: