Foodplot advice- Beets, Radishes, Turnips

Southern

Ten Pointer
I cleared a new food plot on my farm in the mountains this year and planted beets, radishes and turnips. I had never planted these before as I really never had good soils for them down east where I mainly hunt.

All came up well but the deer completely mowed them down in the first week. I thought they would leave them alone until it frosted on them? Any thoughts?

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Deer don't always leave brassicas alone till frost. I plant almost 2 acres in 10 areas on 80 acres and they start eating them at sprout. They usually keep them under 8'' till about March.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If the brassicas get mowed down prior to them setting their 3rd set of leaves you may want to go ahead and overseed with a grain seed such as oats, winter wheat and/or rye...that damages the brassicas and it may take them months to catch up if ever. Deer love it, but typically if you plant it this late it's iffy if they survive to thrive.

Southern

Ten Pointer
I planted over a month ago and was surprised how quickly they hit them, especially with the acorns we have on the ground in the area. I don't see that they will survive, they are mowed to the ground.