Hens

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This cool weather has the birds vocal this morning - been mouthing off to each other for an hour - couple finally feed into the opening here

JD1107

I sat and watched 30 hens last evening for an hour. I’ve sat close to 20 times this deer season and have seen birds every sit. It’s been fun listening to them talk back and forth.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I got the pleasure of listening to some mouthy hens about a week ago. The yelped, cutt & cackled for about an hour. They worked their way into an opening and longbeard followed. He was strutting and chasing them around like it was spring. Never gobbled though.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Was hunting last wed morning had 11 come in on me very talkative , was pleasantly surprised all had beards gave me high hopes for spring.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Had 7 hens and 2 gobblers feeding in a cutover last Saturday morning. One of the gobblers thundered off before they hit the ground. Just nothin quite like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Woodmoose, those turkeys over on the Pate land near my brothers stand are always vocal in the morning..... Bo says.
They gobble good over there in the fall and spring. The hens are just as bad in the fall. I enjoy hearing them. We going to start feeding them tomorrow.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
A buddy of mine heard 4 different gobblers on the roost while deer hunting Saturday morning. Plus a lot of hen talk. In the meantime, I was turkey hunting and never heard a peep all day....

Last edited:

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I had a hen and two jakes on my gamecam two weeks ago. Also heard a few gobbles last time I hunted that stand around the same time...

Last edited:

JD1107

Toms were fired up this weekend. Heard gobbling all morning Friday and Saturday.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
seen 10 yesterday,,,,,three were jakes the rest hens or "unknown/too young",,,,,,

Bperry

Six Pointer
We saw a flock of 60 plus birds north of Louisburg Saturday. It's the largest flock I have ever seen here in NC

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Took a mouth call to the deer stand on Saturday and called up two toms. Got one of them strutting just like spring. Had a flock of hens come by in typical fall fashion staying out of sight and trying to get me to come to them and then carried on going by. My buddy heard 3 different toms gobble same morning.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
They were very vocal in Caswell county this morning. My son saw several today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Saw a few while in my deer stand and heard many more. Did not see a deer but the turkey entertainment made it worthwhile.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Heard a lot of fall gobbling this morning. Witnessed a gaggle of 12 jakes sparring and 7 long beards running in to show them who's boss. Saw a bearded hen. Heard a call I've never heard before also. It was like that long note chickens make. I'm not sure if a hen, jake or gobbler made it, but I'm thinking it was a jake. Lots of very cool vocalization that you never hear in the spring. Probably the best day deer hunting I've ever had (and I didn't see a deer at all). A great way to start off Thanksgiving Day.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Saw 4 hens yesterday and one had a beard. I think this group is new because I don't have her on camera.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I was in east TN this weekend, and was out for an early morning walk when I saw a turkey fly down in a field nearby. I ended up playing around with those turkeys the next two morning. Had a blast messing with them. Called them up (8 gobblers with 8 hens) to within 20 yds at one point yesterday morning with just my mouth (since I didn't have calls with me). Now if only I could find some to mess with when I'm carrying a gun..

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
They sure were loud in Mitchell Co yesterday morning, even heard 2 gobbles. I love to hear turkey talk in the fall/winter.
Whipped out the XT and with some excited lost calling I had a wad of hens around my stand in no time.
Turkey time cannot get here soon enough, I'd trade 1 willing gobbler for every deer I've ever killed.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
They sure were loud in Mitchell Co yesterday morning, even heard 2 gobbles. I love to hear turkey talk in the fall/winter.
Whipped out the XT and with some excited lost calling I had a wad of hens around my stand in no time.
Turkey time cannot get here soon enough, I'd trade 1 willing gobbler for every deer I've ever killed.

OMG you didnt call to them in the off season? the horror! you will be educating them to the point that they will run away come spring!

Or so say some. Not me. I would practice on them year around if I had them.

and you are exactly right on the value of a deer versus a turkey.

any gobbler killed the old way is far superior to any deer killed any way. To me.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
OMG you didnt call to them in the off season? the horror! you will be educating them to the point that they will run away come spring!

Or so say some. Not me. I would practice on them year around if I had them.

and you are exactly right on the value of a deer versus a turkey.

any gobbler killed the old way is far superior to any deer killed any way. To me.

Yep, call to them year round. Im one of them guys that most people hate. Im an educater ;)