Fixing Ceramic Dish

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Last night some family members gave my wife a nice set of ceramic cake pans for her birthday. As I was carrying it into the house, the handles on the gift bag broke and both pans cracked, both have one clean break down the center of the bottom. Does anyone have suggestions how to fix it? I know super glue can be toxic and won't hold up in the oven, I figure there is some sort of epoxy that will fix it safely but I don't know of any.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
There are glues out there but the problem is the thermal expansion of the polymer vs the relatively stable ceramic. I doubt anything is going to hold up to multiple heating cycles. With that said JB weld lists it as heat and food safe on their site.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Man up, find new ones, and buy them,,,,,,glue won't hold over time and you'll end up regretting trying!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
JB Weld has worked on my favorite mug, a toilet tank, and a few other things. Cake pans are gonna take some serious heating stress though. I bet it will work, but be ready for it not to. I'd put a cookie sheet under it the first couple times I baked with it to make sure.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I want to say there's a special adhesive for things like that. Google a ceramics website and look for adhesives...