Pretty good start to our season

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
We started our deer season off first thing on opening morning with a 12 pointer on the first drive. Dogs didn't even get a chance to run him although there was 3 bucks running together. Dog handler dropped the tailgate and hollered twice and boom boom. New member on our club that has never killed a deer dog hunting got him. He don't know it but there was some beginner luck involved there. It was a nice deer...main frame 10 with two kickers.
WP_20171014_10_35_28_Pro.jpg

Last week (friday) I spotted a nice buck trotting across a ridge top while on a dog drive. Dogs hit the back track on him and went the wrong way. I went and got some dogs and put them on him. I knew he was a big body deer. Club member got him and he weighed in at 180lbs. Nice 8 point about 18" wide.

WP_20171020_11_57_27_Pro (2).jpg

Next day my buddy got a 2.5 year old 8 point in front of the dogs. Our still hunters killed two bucks that same day with both of them being nice bucks. One was a 8 and the other was a 9 point.

This past Friday dad and I went back to where 12 point came from and dropped his dogs. They jumped and we had a good race. Finally I got in front of them. They was running a nice buck...at least a 8 maybe a 10. I should of killed of him but I missed....3 times. I'm slipping in my older age. Got behind on the first shot and couldn't catch back up to him. Dads been getting a good laugh out of that. I told him he hasn't got the cob webs out of his barrel yet. We having a good time though...dad under went surgery this year for bladder cancer. He is doing great though. Glad I get some more time to spend with him in the woods. I'm really blessed.

So after the miss we recovered and dumped the dogs again. They was messing with what we thought might of been hogs...finally they hit a good track and we had a good race. Two dogs stuck with the track for hours but we just couldn't get in front of them. Finally they going in a direction we might have a chance. I told dad over the radio they going to a certain spot...time I get there two club members have it covered. Said they had dogs running in there. I told one we had two dogs coming but they was tired...been on that track for a good while. 15 minutes later one of them killed the deer. It was a decent 7 point. Dogs was right on him but tired!

WP_20171027_13_24_04_Pro.jpg

So yesterday morning hit a track and got a good race. Dogs crossed out on us. They usually don't come back but this time they did with a nice buck. Club member shot at him but missed. He said he was a really nice deer. Dad stopped them when they tried to cross out the other side.

I'm not sure the reason behind us killing so many nice deer this early in the season. We had a self imposed two buck limit on our club for the two previous years. This year we went back to a 3 buck limit as some guys complained last year. We've had a lot of timbering going on around us also...maybe they pushed some deer to us. Either way we will see where it goes from here to the end of season.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
nice Sir!

we haven't done squat yet so far,,,,,but I told the fellows they would stack them up this weekend since it will be the first day this season I don't hunt with them!@!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We haven't done jack as woodmoose said. We are not alone though. I have heard similar bad luck with the neighboring dog clubs. The hunting should pickup as the cooler weather comes.
Congrats on some nice deer.