It is a Lot Colder in Canada Now Than This Time Last Year

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I was in northern Saskatchewan the first week of November last year and it never got below freezing, even at night. Most water was open and full of ducks and geese. Different story this year, highs of about 19 and lows near zero.
Hopefully we will get an earlier push.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But just how far south will they push??? Probably not this far south just yet.....

But it is a start!!

Last edited:

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
But just how far south will they push??? Probably not this far south just yet.....

But it is a start!!

Gadwalls, widgeon. pintails, teal, and wood ducks will probably start showing up in numbers. Not so much for divers and mallards.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Depending on where you look, there's plenty of ducks here, and actually have been for at least two weeks, that I know of. Just might not be huntable. Swans too.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
A good push on the Atlantic flyway south of the Chesapeake? Hahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah that is the truth. Only way we get a good push is if the freeze line is down to southern Virginia. I have been hunting NC for 40 years and I’ll bet we have only had 8 or 10 really good seasons in that time. We live in the worst flyway there is as far as numbers and migration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skydog

Yep I'll take cold to the north of us vs. not any day. Atlantic flyway migration is more of a slow trickle than the big waves the other flyways see, but a little is better than none.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
I saw a lot of water today. Didn't see much. Doesn't mean they aren't around though. I expect a good push with the moon. Either way I'm optimistic. Sad to see Futch in the shape it's in now. No water there hardly and haven't started pumping yet.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I think its just refreshing to see an actual conversation on the waterfowl forum on here.. Cold front/weather up north brought that at least haha

JD1107

Sitting in the stand last night I saw some good flocks of wood ducks. Neighbors swamp next to me is LOADED with geese, just need to talk them into the decoys or a fly by for a shot.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I was texting with a friend in Hyde county last evening and he said the sound and Mattamuskeet is already holding a bunch of birds and the impoundments around the lake that have water are full of ducks. Granted these are the early migrators (mallards, teal, gadwall and some pintails & blacks) and the bulk of divers have yet to arrive. This warm spell may very well push some back north a bit but evening temps next week are supposed to be cooler than they have (40's are better than high 50-60). Hopefully the next 2 weeks will being another front up north and cold enough temps to hold them here without pushing them too far south.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I was texting with a friend in Hyde county last evening and he said the sound and Mattamuskeet is already holding a bunch of birds and the impoundments around the lake that have water are full of ducks. Granted these are the early migrators (mallards, teal, gadwall and some pintails & blacks) and the bulk of divers have yet to arrive. This warm spell may very well push some back north a bit but evening temps next week are supposed to be cooler than they have (40's are better than high 50-60). Hopefully the next 2 weeks will being another front up north and cold enough temps to hold them here without pushing them too far south.

They've been down for a month at least. I've seen them. Not there, but I've seen them in droves.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer

Hope they stick around, my son has the youth hunt on skeet thanksgiving weekend, which is the first hunt of the year for the lake. I would think the birds wouldn't be blind shy at that point.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer

I am going to have to call a big BS on this post. I am around the lake every day and stop by the refuge frequently. Talked with a refuge worker this morning. Almost no birds in MI 8&9. Usually there are over 100,000 by now. He saw 500 GW teal over on the Wypoping area. Nothing on the sounds and bays but Scoters. I stayed at my Northlake impoundment until dark tonight, only saw 15 wood ducks. Usually thousands of birds. By the way, there are almost no migrating Mallards in Hyde. Only tame releases.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Hydemarsh is correct. Very few birds in Hyde. Less birds than last year at this point and last year was the worst year in a while. Also very few mallards in Hyde, even on a good year. The “impoundment mallards” are release birds meant to make the west of 17 fellas thank they are in Stuttgart.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
I've was out on the water Fri and Saturday. Saw some ruddy ducks. Maybe a pair of ringers. Couple decent big duck flocks in the distance. Couple small flocks of teal. A few around but not much going on. I'm East of 17. Going further east tomorrow and will be looking around while trying to catch a trout.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Didn't see much to the far East yesterday, and I fished around the notorious club that shall not be named. Heard some, but only saw 2 puddle ducks all day long. Granted, it was really foggy yesterday morning. That was disappointing, along with me and my buddy both losing a large trout. Mine might have been a red fish. Never saw it. Couldn't turn it b/c the drag was set too low and then he broke the line off on a barnacle. Still beat the crap out of going to work. Back to reality today.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Didn't see much to the far East yesterday, and I fished around the notorious club that shall not be named. Heard some, but only saw 2 puddle ducks all day long. Granted, it was really foggy yesterday morning. That was disappointing, along with me and my buddy both losing a large trout. Mine might have been a red fish. Never saw it. Couldn't turn it b/c the drag was set too low and then he broke the line off on a barnacle. Still beat the crap out of going to work. Back to reality today.

sorry you lost a big trout/drum. fishing has been pretty good all fall. thanks for the report. are there usually more ducks in Pamlico county this time of year compared to those just to the north.