Rut activity report, what are you seeing?

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Road kill has shot up the past few days. Saw a decent 6 pointer running along the side of the road this morning.

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Based on my cam pics this fall the next rut will be kicking off the middle of next week and the weather forecasts could not be better. Remember doe fawns need to reach 60-70 lbs to come into estrus.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Road kill has shot up the past few days. Saw a decent 6 pointer running along the side of the road this morning.

claims have increased per my wife. she blamed the full moon. :)

also this week used to be doe days in chatham county and was notorious for biggun killing. does that hadnt been bred or just more hunters out there, whatever they got killed.

Good Luck to all of you.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Found fresh scrapes that had been worked yesterday when I was moving cams and putting out corn.

ditchbank

Banned
I believe very few Does are in estrous right now and the bucks are on their feet and sighting s are going up. That's what I have seen the past two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
Watched a decent 6 pt and a cowhorn along with 6 does yesterday evening in a 1.25 acre field. 2 corn piles placed in this field. Does kept an eye on bucks, but bucks showed little interest in does, more concerned with eating the corn and keeping the does away. Robeson County.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Mountains are heating up. Saw a buck on camera on Friday in middle of the day bee-lining through our plot with nose to the ground first of the year. Ton of fresh scrapes and road kill as well.

fats

Four Pointer
There were numerous deer/car collisions in Wilson County yesterday according to a friend. I'd definitely have my corn out and be in the stand.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Next few days, barometric over 30, major and minor times near sunrise and sunset, cold, cloudy and damp. Good stuff!

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
southern alamance county last night around 1:am was a constant roadside deer event.

right after that little rain they must have been rolling. Big groups, but no horns.

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Next few days, barometric over 30, major and minor times near sunrise and sunset, cold, cloudy and damp. Good stuff!
The deer didn't read the chart haven't seen but one deer in thlast two days didn't see a deer the whole day frist day I been skunked since bow season an I have hunt just about every day saw 20 sat. Monday none same stand can't see them if they don't move . I hate full moons in late season

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I thought they were cranked over Thanksgiving, but the last few days deer have been running does all over the place. Cars have been smacking deer up and down all the roads around here so I guess you could say it is FULL RUT time. Big boys have come out of hiding the last few days and if I can ever get five minutes to hunt maybe I can bust one.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Seen a lot of rut activity as of late in Surry and Stokes. Latest I've ever seen this much activity. Trail Cameras are going nuts.

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Scrapes that were covered in leaves last Sunday are opened back up. Along with several new rubs. Alamance County.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
This my first post and I hate to get labeled as a liar to start with and I cannot explain it but let me tell you what I saw last year in March. I have deer hunted for 50 years and never saw a scrape past January but while 4 wheeling last spring I saw a fresh scrape with a wet spot and track in it the last week of March. I ask a local wildlife officer about it and he said bucks would continue dropping sign until all does are bred. I am going back to the same area this year and see what I find. If I find it again I will get a photo. Believe it or not.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
This my first post and I hate to get labeled as a liar to start with and I cannot explain it but let me tell you what I saw last year in March. I have deer hunted for 50 years and never saw a scrape past January but while 4 wheeling last spring I saw a fresh scrape with a wet spot and track in it the last week of March. I ask a local wildlife officer about it and he said bucks would continue dropping sign until all does are bred. I am going back to the same area this year and see what I find. If I find it again I will get a photo. Believe it or not.

No one gonna call you a liar! I regularly find hot scrapes while grouse hunting in the mountains in February...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

you know what you saw. folks that havent had your same experiences may decide it's BS but dont take it personally. it's just what hunters do.

we cant get past our own biases on the sport.

Welcome.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Had a very small fawn with spots in my back yard this year 2nd week in november 11th to be exact ,with 4 grown does, so one of those does had to have been bread sometime in march or early april that year.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I saw a really big buck here in our community on the night of Nov. 14th. He chased a doe across the road right in front of me and I just about hit him. Ive been trying to get a few landowners to let me hunt but had no success before the season ended. Have not seen the buck since.
Fast forward to this morning. As I take my daughter to school each morning we watch the woods and field edges just to see if we can spot any. There he was in the field with 6 does at 7:22. He was chasing one of the does extremely hard, he looked like a cuttin horse going back and forth trying to get her out. Problem is that now everybody in town just saw him. He wanted her really bad......

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I saw a really big buck here in our community on the night of Nov. 14th. He chased a doe across the road right in front of me and I just about hit him. Ive been trying to get a few landowners to let me hunt but had no success before the season ended. Have not seen the buck since.
Fast forward to this morning. As I take my daughter to school each morning we watch the woods and field edges just to see if we can spot any. There he was in the field with 6 does at 7:22. He was chasing one of the does extremely hard, he looked like a cuttin horse going back and forth trying to get her out. Problem is that now everybody in town just saw him. He wanted her really bad......

he'll get her. :) that is cool to see that activity this late in the year.