Rut activity report, what are you seeing?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It is interesting to hear about what everyone is seeing/hearing on their hunts. maybe we can collect those encounters on this thread as the rut/season progresses.
Define "rut activity" as you like.

I had a interesting sit yesterday with a buck that took up residence around 6pm between a field corner and the funnel i was in a several yds away. I think his intent was to monitor the trail and the field. he could see the field and like me he was downwind of the trail.

Every time a deer came by me as the got out of sight i could hear him walk/ run towards them, then he would go back, to wait on the next one. He did this three separate times. I could hear him well but never got a visual till after shooting hrs had passed when he walked trru a shooting lane. You mind plays tricks but i thought he had a hellavu strategy worked out so immediately assumed this wasnt his first rodeo.

How about you, what are your deer doing rut wise?

partspimp

Old Mossy Horns
saw a yougin yesterday put his nose right in it, then run her off into the woods, saw a little sparring yesterday also. Its getting close...Edgecombe county

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
That buck I shot and didn't recover was eating and was not interested in the 5 does around him, he was atleast a 3 year old buck.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I was wondering when the rut topic was going to come up. Usually this forum has about 5 post by now with guys asking whats going on with the rut, has it started, when does it start etc etc.
Makes me think the entire forum is dying out. I almost started one myself.

Anyway, no real signs of rutting on my end in Wake yet. Usually November 1 is the day I start seeing stuff go down. Several rubs and scraps for a few weeks now, bucks have seperated and ones I have seen together are fighting. I was even able to rattle one in the other day so if you got some antlers give em a tickle.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Heavy chasing in Vance. All 6 does Ive seen were being pushed by bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
All bucks eat in together still at my places in Chatham. No chasing

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Northern Harnett county, found scrapes and rubs everywhere, bucks sparring on camera, and every pic of does on cam there are bucks of all shapes and sizes following about 10 to 20 mins later. Also just a general ramp up of movement, seeing deer consistently either hunting or riding down the road.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I've seen young bucks sparring/fighting and chasing...and have been having success grunting young bucks to me...but no action so far involving mature bucks.

But, both Wednesday and Thursday evenings while driving home from hunting I saw better-than-average bucks standing on the shoulder of the road staring across at the doe I'm sure was over there. I expect in both cases the buck had just chased the doe across and was checking up before crossing himself. I felt a bit lucky that I didn't end up hitting either one of them. Regardless, they were mature (ish) bucks acting like rutting bucks....which is evidence to me it's on!

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Seeing young buck chasing does an bucks sparring fresh scrapes an rub trees around the field degrees should be right for muzzleloader season.I'm in Guiford co.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

GarrisonS

Spike
Not witnessed any in person but seeing several camera pics of bucks showing up on food right behind the does and running them off.. seeing a little sparring, but not a lot. Johnston county

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
I look at this forum for two weeks out of the year and it's solely to see if folks are seeing rut activity. It's a great tool to figure out the day(s) it's time to commit as much time as possible to the woods. Thanks for this thread, even though some seem annoyed by it. Most of us appreciate it.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they sure are getting run over alot. literally blood in the streets. :) isnt that a sign of rut activity?

saw a nice one friday night head across behind a doe less than a 1/4 mile from an active turkey shoot. them silk hope deer are fearless.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
This past weekend, we found several new scrapes and several new rubs.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I have seen no deer at my sons baseball games, work functions or other life events that have prevented me from seeing a stand in 3 weeks. hopefully I didnt miss much, I have a few days off next week, hoping the action will heat up by then.

thirtywide

Six Pointer
Just saw at lunch one of the deer processors in the area and asked him that exact question and he said he hadn't seen any sign yet

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Pop had a doe come to a grunt call, tail out and looking for the buck, sat morn. I saw what was probably the same doe Sat eve with 3 bucks behind her doing 114 mph through the woods. Orange Co

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Surry/Stokes Co. Its slow. Not personally seen any rut activity at all. A freind has seen 2 mature bucks checking a fews does in the area however.

GarrisonS

Spike
Seen a few dead bucks along the road.. cameras showing bucks coming out behind does that were not around a few weeks ago but I sure haven’t seen any chasing going on.. soon

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
In Wake on 10/21 I saw a buck run 4 does at full tilt, he was a big deer. Last Saturday (10/28) saw a nice buck chasing a single doe right at daylight, saw another small buck trailing 2 does by about a minute, and saw 2 different smaller bucks that were still hanging out together. Have never seen 4 different bucks in 1 sit at that spot before. Good time to be in the woods in the block that I hunt.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Chasing happens much closer to Thanksgiving than Halloween around here. Typically Thanksgiving week is when it's 'on' in our central Piedmont section of woods...

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
The only reason this matters to me is because I want to catch that dude that never ventures out in the daylight making a mistake because he is with a doe and doesn't want to let her out of his sight or he is late heading back to his lair in the morning. Most immature bucks will do a lot of daylight stuff prior to peak rut when the does hit estrus but those old dudes will not.

Slong

Four Pointer
I killed a nice 9pt chasing does in 20mph wind Sunday. His glands were beginning to get dark. Saw him fighting the night before. Young bucks are checking does. This is in Guilford.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I predict the weekend of the 11th it will fire up around central piedmont... moon times will be great along with some predicted cooler (closer to avg) temps

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The doe my sister killed Saturday was being chased by something but don’t know what caliber deer. Other than that I’ve seen no sign of rut, though I know it’s happening now, most of the scrapes opened early October are dormant now. Not seeing much of anything-Vance county

Seeing much less deer activity on camera in Moore. Two little bucks have shown up but nothing new there. No rubs. No scrapes. Same spot that was littered with both last year.