Target buck kills; show em, tell us about them please.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
what i mean is one you killed that you had a history or pics with/of and you were hunting that specific deer.

To me, killing a specific deer is tough even with cameras. Our pages here abound with pics tha never are seen when it counts.

Have you killed one that you were hunting with the intent of killing a specific buck?

Years ago I took my Mom with me to look at a bean field one afternoon. She loves the outdoors and I had been seing a nice bachelor group many evenings.

The best of the bunch a spindly ten with a short brow tine came within a few yards of us. He became my target buck.

LOL I never laid eyes on him again until December 8th when he decided to come by me to the bean, now cut.. He got behind a cedar and all i needed him to do was take a step L or R and he was dead. I waited and waited. Where did he go?

He walked straight behind the cedar 90 degrees away, what had become a chip shot was now the longest i ever shot a deer, It was like he vanished. But finally exposed him self. I was about out of time.

The highlight of that one was showing it to my Mom as she too had a "history" with the deer.

What's your tale?

bowhnter88

Six Pointer
Not one that I killed, but I had a decent 6 point on camera from beginning early September that was in the corn almost every day. I knew that I wasn't going to shoot this buck but I knew my wife wanted to go and knew this would be a great first buck for her. Well during bow season and muzzleloader season I passed this buck multiple times hoping that he would stay around and she could get a shot at him. So opening day of Rifle came in and me and the wife went into this stand with high hopes because I had pics of him a few days before. We heard a couple close gunshots that morning but never did see the buck. After that opening day I didn't get that buck on camera for a couple weeks and figured somebody had shot him. Well, me and the wife went back the Saturday after thanksgiving and had deer all around us before daylight and could see a couple in the corn, when it got light enough to shoot, that buck came walking in the corn and she shot him and he ran and dropped within 5 yards, she was fired up to say the least!!! Crazy thing is when we got to him, one of his hams looked like something had been eating on it. I don't know if maybe he got shot and coyotes chewed at him or what happened, but it had been like that for atleast a week or longer. Pretty crazy but exciting!

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I had pics of a buck for a couple of years in the same area. I seen him once chasing a doe and didnt even pick the gun up, just watched him and them wished I had shot...lol
The next year I killed him the 1st afternoon I went hunting about 10yds from where I had been getting pics of him at.
He looked the same the last two years except he had one small tine making him a 7ptr....heavy in the body and at least 4.5 but maybe 5.5
He was the heaviest deer I ever killed and to be honest I hope I never kill another that heavy....lol

He looked almost exactly the same in 07 and 08.
sent from...... Tapatalk
a738fdd08f5feb71c403f1052d9f6448.jpg
403a4940f71e60471514606035ace834.jpg
cb64f5ac467f8948ffd6bbf51690aedd.jpg
e080b93b39b5bc17a44e2742d72b2560.jpg

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
a3c593ecc28687d5f8d6dcbe49b3f3e8.jpg
cb0a2f057eb257f430bd50b8eb9688fc.jpg
. I had a few run ins with this 9pt, during bow I saw him twice at 90 yards but could never get him close. Then during the rifle opener he stepped out at first light but as I swung around on him I hit the side of the blind and spooked him off. First week in November ( I think the 3rd) he messed up and stepped out and got hammered.

bd376e77407a5f3ef0e9e3da7d2a8717.jpg
94009dd7652bc225d8295e7100577d48.jpg

I saw this bruiser 5 times during bow season but always at 200+ yards... first youth day I take my oldest for her first hunting trip and my target 10pt steps out in front of her at 17 yards...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
This year.. the nontypical 10 ptr I killed had showed up on camera just a few weeks before on a 7acre tract I hunt. This place has always had extremely few deer and I've never let anything other than a fawn walk... in other words "Meat Hunt"

Several days before I killed the 10 I let a small buck walk in hopes of killing the 10ptr

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Here are a few. I watched both of these deer for at least 3 years and have them both on video and trail camera multiple times. I was always hoping they would become. better bucks. Its a shame the first one we called Grumpy Buck as he always looked like he had a serious attitude. He was a huge deer. If his other half of his rack would have been the same as the other he would have been 20" wide. The other the dagger buck always had the dagger on one side. There are some more but these two especially Grumpy gave me the slip for a long time.

b65b997d-e24c-41da-9378-af299e7d5397_zpsad3bhnju-L.jpg

DSC00434_zpslclw4qoj-L.jpg

DSC00427_zps8dljmwgr-L.jpg

DSC00571_zpscjm99trl-L.jpg

20161023_190316_zpszioryphb-L.jpg

Greenecb

Button Buck
Hi guys, new to the forum. I have always loved a semetrical 8, although there were higher scoring deer on my property last year this guy really appealed to me. After 2 years of pictures and letting him walk the year prior, I hunting this deer almost exclusively... wind permitting, and after 5 encounters between november 7 and December 10 I was finally able to get a clear shot on him the last day of the Western NC season. He's not the largest deer I have been fortunate enough to harvest, but definitely one of the most memorable.
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
Hunted this guy for 2 years. Never had him on a camera, don't typically use them. He's no Boone and Crockett but he was worth the effort. Heavy beastie.
e5ef6672009080ae866bd40ec078129d.jpg
9642668893349b168e0fba48c3f488ed.jpg
a688662e054c95f5195677ba5b1730e7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Being one who owns no trail camera, I'm always surprised when one shows up, and usually kill it during the first encounter.
One of these days I'm going to buy one or two.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I had this happen to me one time -- the buck I killed 11/11/2015.

I first spotted him just 100 yds down the road near the base of our 1/4 mile driveway at about 8pm on my way home from archery practice on Thursday evening ... and the hunt was on.

I hunted him Friday morning on my land about as close as I could get to where I saw him. He didn't disappoint ... I had him coming through at a very fast walk ... nose to the ground and on a mission. No shot. No show Fri pm.

Saturday morning I had him hanging back about 45 yds as a doe came in to the corn. He was behind a tree, and I waited. When he finally moved and gave me a shot, my ML's primer let me down. I had a fizz and a sqib shot. When the smoke cleared ... there he was, 30 yds to the left casually walking away. I waited and checked the area. No fur, no blood.

I gave it a rest on Sunday.

Monday morning I was back out. I had to leave for work at 9 am. I saw a doe or two, and was watching a young buck about 70 yds out eating acorns. He finally walked away to the right. I started packing my gear .. then looked up. Here comes a doe fawn, with big boy right on her tail. I got ready. He came in to a touch over 20 yds and stopped, facing me. He finally turned broadside, I touched off the shot, and found him later 30-40 yards to the left. When I cleaned him, the top of his heart was shot off.

Last edited:

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My best example would be this year with my best buck to date. I had him on camera since August, and could never tie him down. I had a difficult time getting good wind directions to hunt because of where he was bedded and how he was coming in. He was opposite the does, and only one wind direction would work for them both. I killed him on the 2nd hunt that I had a SW wind.

IMG_0630.jpgIMG_0007.jpgIMG_4974.jpg

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
My example would also be my best buck to date I had just moved to Randolph County from Moore County in May of 2014 on brand new property 30 acres and seen no deer sign nowhere at all but I gave it a chance started putting out corn put my stand up and camera finally lots of does came in and after about 6 months of feeding in September 19th of 2014 is when he showed up on camera and right then I made that my target buck I never seen him again and passed on many decent bucks but had my eye on him only he finally came back October 20th and ate from my corn pile once again he stayed gone and never seen him again until November 18th the next morning I got in the stand it was 12 degrees and the woods were so thick I couldn’t see him only a small part of his rack but all morning he was chasing 3 does back and forth through thick brush and I knew then it was over I’d never get a shot but just as I was about to give up for the morning at 9am one doe came to the corn pile and ate for about 3 minutes and here he came in the open running full speed he stopped behind her and she walked on he looked right up at me and was about to run after her but right as he did I took the shot he didn’t run 5 yards happiest day ever and hope to have another this season!
752c800a3d1d2b89a8e2c6e9292daccb.jpg
7671f7620eac90a36b7e1f42da549ae4.jpg
64af7176a50ff85b7acb0efff6fa3fa7.jpg
7e16a56e024a6b44f4cb15a1e01cb0d8.jpg
e4a13123065389cc8d37498b97a1fa1e.jpg
8be7110b4ded748495848c6f5a18b11b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk