.22 hornet

obxfisherman83

Button Buck
Going to let my daughter shoot a .22 Hornet this year. Does anyone else shoot these ? Just wondering what a good load is to shoot

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
My son killed a bunch with these. Buxandiverdux has a lot more experience with the hornet than me.

Good luck to her. I kept shots under 75 yards and set up as Inwas bow hunting with a Caldwell field pod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3ac671a48450d2af042ee2defd57cf74.jpg

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
That is the exact load that my kids use. Keep shots broadside and inside 80 yards. If your kids can hit both lungs, you will have dead deer. My kids have probably combined for over 50 deer with a .22 Hornet. It is very lethal if the shooter does their part.

My son shot a few out to 125 yards with similar results, but that is about as far as we tried them until he moved up to the .243 Win.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Going to let my daughter shoot a .22 Hornet this year. Does anyone else shoot these ? Just wondering what a good load is to shoot
Last coyote I shot with my 22 hornet was 80 yds facing me...bullet went his whole body length and when I picked him up sounded like a bowl jello...never knew what hit him and like others have said, a broadside lung shot will put a deer down no problem. I reload mine...Sierra 40 gr. HP and have killed coyotes 175 yds and know they will reach further. Will completely penetrate three green 2 x 6's at over a 100 yds and stopped inside a 5 gal. bucket filled with wet sand....amazing little bullet.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Don't hesitate to hunt with a 22 Hornet. I grew up using one with my brothers. Pick your shot though. Neck or double lung shots were best for us. I still have a reloading die I might sell if someone needs it.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
please tell me there is a hundred rounds in that box, or at least 50

Boxes of 50. Way back before I had a single grey hair I had a 77/22 .22 Hornet Varmint and shot up my fair share of those rounds. I never shot a deer with them but groundhogs, foxes and assorted critters fell dead to that round.

<>< Fish