Champion Cow Horn

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I saw a cow horn yesterday that was every bit of 15" wide on the inside and had a fairly tall rack (12"-13") with out much mass. He was fairly big bodied and looked to be 1.5-3 years old. Not to start a cull buck thread but at this stage will he ever be anything other than a cow horn? Sadly I didn't get a picture as I was debating shooting him. I have attached a similar deer I got off of google for reference.

images (6).jpg

Last edited:

Bradleyyycc

Button Buck
I shot a buck like this last year (not that big). That's all he ever was. He was a big bodied deer healthy but just could never grow more than cow horns. I'll see if I can upload a picture.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, he could become anything from another low point deer to a true wall hanger. 1.5-3.5 is a huge range for a deer. That's like saying a person is somewhere between a young teen and middle aged. All we know here is that we have a deer with only 2 points. If this was a late born 1.5 year old he has put on a pretty good amount of bone in his first season. If he's a 3.5 something else may be going on. He may of had a really poor nutritional year, be suffering from parasites, disease, pedical damage ect. The only way to really know is to let him become a mature deer in age and asses him at that point. The once a spike always a spike idea has been disproved in multiple studies.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
My dad once killed a 4 point with an 18” spread. Good mass and big body. That was in the early to mid 70’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Yes, he could become anything from another low point deer to a true wall hanger. 1.5-3.5 is a huge range for a deer. That's like saying a person is somewhere between a young teen and middle aged. All we know here is that we have a deer with only 2 points. If this was a late born 1.5 year old he has put on a pretty good amount of bone in his first season. If he's a 3.5 something else may be going on. He may of had a really poor nutritional year, be suffering from parasites, disease, pedical damage ect. The only way to really know is to let him become a mature deer in age and asses him at that point. The once a spike always a spike idea has been disproved in multiple studies.

I ment to type 2.5 instead of 1.5. He was way too stocky to be a year and a half. Cool looking deer none the less.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
one of the few deer that i have passed that i ever regretted not killing was a massive crab claw, big ole long beams with just a tiny crab claw on the end. i was limited by self imposed antler restrictions. LOL

so nchunt101, kill him.

decide he'll never be anything better and bust him when you see him. :)

I like that first pic creekhobo.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Are you in Warren county by chance? That deer is the spitting image of the one I passed. Kicking myself for not shooting him now.

Wow!!! Definitely choot'em

That deer has a pitch fork on his head and will hurt someone

Seriously that deer has some age.. at least 3.5 judging by the body

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Rear end bigger than chest area. That appears to be a less than mature buck to me. Normally older bucks are barrel chested with bigger bellies.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’d rather shoot a mature big cow horn than on that’s not. Older he gets, the better he could possibly get. No need to “cull”, not accomplishing anything, so if you think he’s got room to grow, then let him. If you want to shoot him, shoot him cause it sounds already like he’s a pretty cool deer.