Metal rotating yard art

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Wife had to have this. Picked it up at the Hillsville Flea Market back in September. It's kinda cool and the guys selling them were definitely manly men. The one on display was spinning with the slightest breeze. Got this assembled over the weekend and guess what? It didn't spin. I could spin it with my hands and the bearings were really smooth but the wind would not turn it even a little.

To add a little intrigue to the board, what do you think the problem was? Yes I have fixed it.

IMG_4461.jpg

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Axle was in a slight pinch.

Remember the movie "Twister"?? First thing I thought of when I saw your toy.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Wasn't balanced properly.

No more calls please we have a winner. Took me over an hour with the grinder to get the two balanced. I did not grind the petals. I ground the crooked shaft that the petals were welded to. I ground quite a bit off of two on one and much more on a single one on the other. Now they turn with the slightest breeze. Now that I have done this I have kinda owned it now so I can't say it's my wife's anymore.
So fair warning to you guys if you see these at craft fairs and they are justa spinning with the breeze inspect them to see if they have been balanced. If so, then you should buy that one or risk having to do the same thing if you buy one out of the truck.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a friend that his wife used to make those things. He brought the metal down to me to shear out, he says the actual fabrication isn't the time consuming task for them. It is the balancing of them. I will say she did make some nice ones though. I was actually going to get one for my wife and messed around too late to she quit. She was going to let me borrow the templates and me do it. I didn't want one that bad. LOL

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No more calls please we have a winner. Took me over an hour with the grinder to get the two balanced. I did not grind the petals. I ground the crooked shaft that the petals were welded to. I ground quite a bit off of two on one and much more on a single one on the other. Now they turn with the slightest breeze. Now that I have done this I have kinda owned it now so I can't say it's my wife's anymore.
So fair warning to you guys if you see these at craft fairs and they are justa spinning with the breeze inspect them to see if they have been balanced. If so, then you should buy that one or risk having to do the same thing if you buy one out of the truck.

Wheel weights.... tape to location until balance is correct, then attach.. much more simple than grinding.