Four wheelers yes or no?

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
Those that have four wheeers, do you drive close to your stands? I know one will make you LAZY, does me anyway. I feel like I should leave it on the trailer and walk that 1/2 mike to the stand I have in the woods, BUT it sure is easier !!

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
No. It stays on the trailer until we have to drag a deer out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I don't normally, but I will this year when I carry my dad. He has had some health issues and gets winded in about 2 minutes of walking. So needless to say when I carry him we will be parking it right beside the stand. But other than that I park about as far away from my stand as possible.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The first 2 years we hunted my place up in Rockingham county, my dad could drive his atv all over the 4 plus acre pasture , put corn out and park right beside the box blind and see deer come out at 4pm. He never saw any nice bucks though. The 3rd year , we could not drive the atv anymore. The deer would not come out into the pasture if we used the atv any where near the clover pasture...

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
If I hunt the back 40 I ride mine part of the way. My knees just cannot take the walk anymore. Next year may bite the bullet and get a total knee replacement. Trying to keep out from under the blade......

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ATV silencers work good in areas where noise that don't carry. Up there at the Rock you can hear another atv 1 mile away on the other ridge though.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Depends on where I'm hunting.....I have drive to underneath the stand before but most times I walk.

sent from...... Tapatalk

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No. It stays on the trailer until we have to drag a deer out.

Yeap. Jeff Sturgis has some interesting things to say about atvs/utv & pressure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Don't ride them, but from what I've heard and seen if deer see and hear them all the time, they don't bother them. If they see them from October-December on weekends, they probably alert them a lil.

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
^^^^^ same. I tend to ride to within about quarter mile or more from the stand, walk the rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
We have people all the time driving and parking under a stand and they kill deer.

some say walk to the stand or leave on the trailer.....
Say that after you have health problems.
if your able walk. But with tools that will help why not use them and too the extent you need or feel like.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Used to walk in, carrying the climber and jack up a tree...Had 3 different times where I saw deer hit my trail and go back the other way so I started driving to the stand, haven't seen that happen since...I'm sure I spook some driving in but I have also killed deer within minutes of getting up the tree, so I quit worrying about the ones I spook...Guess I figure if the 4 wheeler spooks them, I would have as well...On our farms they see tractors, combines, farm trucks and 4 wheelers, I doubt if they know what they are, they just move away and come back later...

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have seen them eating in corn pile and 4 wheeler come by....they hear it coming and slowly ease off...soon as it goes by, within couple minutes they come back...not so if someone walking by.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
At our club, we all pretty much ride up to the stands or maybe within a couple hundred yards of it.. We all kill deer, bucks and does. These days there is so much traffic around, I think they are used to it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Those that have four wheeers, do you drive close to your stands? I know one will make you LAZY, does me anyway. I feel like I should leave it on the trailer and walk that 1/2 mike to the stand I have in the woods, BUT it sure is easier !!

No but i used to never pee out of a stand either. you learn a lot around here.:)

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I never had any luck with atv by the stand. Uncle did with it there and smoked the whole time and see deer every time.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
only time my 4wheeler is of the truck is to put out corn or load a deer/hog. and I normally do most of my baiting after dark, leave the 4whlr running, wear rubber boots, dump and drive straight back out. Works well for me.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
We drive to designated parking areas and walk from there between 400 yards and 3/4 mile to the stands or hunting areas. Having a vehicle or ATV/UTV nearby makes it easier to remove downed deer and with the parking areas a good 5+ minute ride from the clubhouse it saves on a bunch of hoofing it around.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Don't ride them, but from what I've heard and seen if deer see and hear them all the time, they don't bother them.
This has been my experience. I park about 200 yards from the stand and see lots of deer including nice bucks. Twice I have dropped my brother off directly at the stand and he has killed 8 pointers within an hour.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It depends on your area as to what effect they have. For me it only for getting one out or packing a lot of stuff in.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Other thing is it does not matter if everyone else in the hunt club rides in then you are wasting time to walk.

broodc2

Four Pointer
Our club uses them extensively. In fact it's part of the rules. Every member has to have one. Reason being is during the season you have to be in camp by a certain time for the morning hunt so we can all plan our entrance routes so as to not mess up anyone's spot. And then we all go in at once and make all the noise at once instead of people zooming around all hours of the morning.

I think like spin feeders it's all what your deer are used to. When I was in two clubs you'd never see a deer if you put out a feeder in one club because no one uses them. However at my current club they're used extensively and so we get big deer all the time right by them. Heck some of them even wait around for it when they figure out the timing. So with 4x4s I think they get used to them. I have a camera on a regularly used travel route and have nice deer back eating my cob corn within an hour of someone zooming past. The majority of the club land is timber company property. So there are always trucks and such coming in and out to paint lines, select cut, survey, etc. Plus they're used to the cars driving around on the public roads.

If I had my own property that was relatively secluded I'd probably not use one. But our club's been around since the 60's so the herd has had decades of time to get used to ATVs.