Game lands tips

Kane_b

Six Pointer
I an find sign but the problem I have is setting up where the deer are in thick woods. I can find a good rub line but I dont want to set up so close what would yall do? Also any scouting tips are helpful. I can kill deer easy on private land but public land gives a good challenge so I am trying it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
If you can kill a deer fine on private without baiting, you shouldn't have issues on public. Just basic tips: hunt in or adjacent to thick cover, hunt edges I.e. habitat transitions, hunt the hottest freshest sign you find (scout with a stand on your back and hunt where you find a hot spot), don't be afraid to walk way back OR hunt an overlooked spot beside the road. I've taken a doe and two bucks on public land this year the 3 times I've hunted public property, my one hunt on our lease was a bust and that's because we only have pines and small patches of hardwoods with no oaks. Our feeder in the middle of the property had no fresh feeding sign around it when I went to go switch camera cards after that hunt last Saturday morning. 3 out of 4 hunts ended with a deer hitting the ground and all those successful hunts had one thing in common. Right now, find the oaks dropping acorns and you'll find the deer.

Last edited:

Kane_b

Six Pointer
If you can kill a deer fine on private without baiting, you shouldn't have issues on public. Just basic tips: hunt in or adjacent to thick cover, hunt edges I.e. habitat transitions, hunt the hottest freshest sign you find (scout with a stand on your back and hunt where you find a hot spot), don't be afraid to walk way back OR hunt an overlooked spot beside the road. I've taken a doe and two bucks on public land this year the 3 times I've hunted public property, my one hunt on our lease was a bust and that's because we only have pines and small patches of hardwoods with no oaks. Our feeder in the middle of the property had no fresh feeding sign around it when I went to go switch camera cards after that hunt last Saturday morning. 3 out of 4 hunts ended with a deer hitting the ground and all those successful hunts had one thing in common. Right now, find the oaks dropping acorns and you'll find the deer.

Thats the thing is it is usually baited private. Also, I will look for the acorns, how close is too close to where they are? I know I find deer because I will spook them or see them but they are not in a position to shoot. Or I feel like I get too close to their paths/sign. Pm me if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk