Sharing my hunting accident for educational purposes

monsterbuck

Button Buck
I do not post much on here but I am always on the site. However I thought this is worth sharing. I am 22 years old and on Tuesday, I seen my life flash before my eyes. I have the entire story on my Facebook including some of the pictures. It is worth the read in my opinion. There are no gruesome pictures in the link just pictures detailing what happened and one picture showing a small glimpse of the stitches. It truly is a miracle from God and I urge every single hunter to BUY A LIFELINE FROM HSS. I always wear a safety harness but this does no good when your climbing sticks break 20 feet up and you get impaled in the chest/axillae area by a 3 foot by 3" diameter tree. In my particular case, I am EXTREMELY lucky to still be alive. Please go buy a lifeline and even a harness for those of you that still do not wear a harness. I am trying to spread my story around to help people realize it can happen to anyone and potentially save someones life. If you have Facebook please feel free to share it to your friends and family.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.phinney.3/posts/10215056371421772

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wow! Thanks for sharing. I am certain that this story has made an impact on some hunters and have caused them to be smart about climbing.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Damn. Glad you’re okay. This is also a good reminder that you should cut bushes/small trees flush with the ground near your stand. Heal up, chicks dig scars...

monsterbuck

Button Buck
Yea, I honestly can't remember if this tree was cut or if it was broken, definitely needed to be cut flush!

At least I bagged my hit list buck on this piece of property on opening day. I can't be too disappointed in this hunting season! 21543851_10214732141516227_6374062202121931867_o.jpg

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
WOW I am glad you are doing so well and awesome job for spreading the word. I would suggest you story your again next year as the season approaches.
Thanks again for share and happy your are doing well.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
thanks for posting.....I have not used a store bought stand in many years....I build my own....out of wood....10 ft off the ground......life is precious....

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks, one of the things I teach during hunters ed classes is how to make your own safety line. When the feet leave the ground be attacked so your body can't touch the ground...

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry for your accident, and glad to hear you'll be ok. Thanks for sharing your story as a cautionary tale for the rest of us. Hunting from a tree stand is dangerous, and hunters are much more likely to be injured / killed falling from a tree than being being shot by another hunter.

Use the safety harnesses and a lifeline, or hunt from the ground!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Wow! Glad you survived such a horrific accident. You are blessed, for sure! Thanks for sharing your story. And congrats on your buck, by the way!