Coyote hunt for beginners

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Never coyote hunted specifically, but one of my neighbors solicited my help. She is having problems with coyotes killing her sheep. Three just this week. Said she has seen as many as six at one time at the edge of dark.

What would be the best method of approaching the hunt? The pasture is about 10 acres with a few houses in the vicinity. I don't really have the equipment to night hunt other than a spot light. Would calling be the best option, bait pile, use the sheep as attraction (not really just kidding)?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Take a couple beavers after skinnning them and pile them up. Play the wind in your favor and when they start fighting cut on the light and lay em down. If this don't work try trapping. Shoot me a pm if you need help. I think we have a mutual friend

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
My first thought was trapping, there is a concern with the proximity of the neighbors houses. Of course she is wanting something done asap since she is losing livestock weekly. I hope to go look at the farm this weekend and get a game plan. Appreciate all the offers I may pm some of y'all later.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Take a couple beavers after skinnning them and pile them up. Play the wind in your favor and when they start fighting cut on the light and lay em down. If this don't work try trapping. Shoot me a pm if you need help. I think we have a mutual friend
Hey I don't think you have enough post to receive PMs yet. Not sure if you can send me one or not either.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Are her neighbors onboard with gunfire?
10 ac aint much even for a shotgun.
I try a mouse squeeker and Dead Coyote loads possibly asap.
The game warden can issue a permit to trap now also, but she must call.

YES, the dead sheep is a good attractor..they already have a taste for mutton. I hope you froze them to use. We used that often in Idaho....whatever they been killing.
Gotta stake it down though so they don't tote it off.
Put in a gully so you can ease up to look down on them.
Or near/below the top of knob, so it'll stop a bullet and not be skylined.

Last edited:

buckman84

Eight Pointer
The beaver suggestion is what I did this past trapping season, wired a carcass to a tree and set my traps, and really good success with this method.