Not Chasin Yet

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Watched a decent buck eat in the food plot with 5 does this evening and didn't pay them much attention, his hocks were gettin dark though. Doesn't look like they're up and running yet.

Bollweevil

Eight Pointer
I saw a 10 ptr cruising behind a doe this morning and a 6 ptr cruising behind a doe this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Not to thread jack, but I went and hunted yesterday, then while cutting a lane and putting up a blind today I grabbed a camera I had out for over a month that was in basically same spot. Well 2 of the 3 bucks I had on camera we're last night. 430 pm and midnight. The camera was on a tree that was laid over diagonal across trail. First buck rubbed the tree with his antlers and marked it, 2nd buck did the same thing. Looks like they are getting frisky. I had a bunch of pictures of branches and horns moving in front of the camera. It looked like a 2yr old, next buck was definitely older.

SickLeaveSportsman

Four Pointer
Yesterday watched a spike eat with a doe and fawn for about 30 mins, then all of a sudden his nose hit the ground and chased them out of sight. Pretty sure I saw the acorns fall right out of their mouths mid-bite. Small ones are getting itchy. Watched a basket 6 in the neighborhood chase a doe while walking with the kids tonight. My 4 year old enjoyed that one, though explaining why he was doing that proved difficult...

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw several road killed deer in the last two days around Wake & Franklin Counties. I'd say the chasing is on.......

Always gonna have the eager youngsters getting a early start , I believe next week when the temps drop again and the week after things will ramp up ...just my opinion and the big boys will start falling second week of muzzleloader ...that's here in central ..I maybe wrong but I hope not , that's my vacation plans ..lol :)

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Young bucks always chase in October, big bucks breed in November. It is completely controlled by the length of daylight in a day. Weather and moon phase just control when the deer are up on their feet a little more. Right around this time however, a few does will come in early so from this point on, the big boys could be up in moving in daylight. In a week and a half, they will be up and moving.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Young bucks always chase in October, big bucks breed in November. It is completely controlled by the length of daylight in a day. Weather and moon phase just control when the deer are up on their feet a little more. Right around this time however, a few does will come in early so from this point on, the big boys could be up in moving in daylight. In a week and a half, they will be up and moving.

Yup the last week of Oct and first week of Nov the woods are full of cruising, chasing, riled up bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Bucks have been working scrapes here for a week or so. It's fixing to bust wide open here. I have seen the timing vary a couple weeks so I'm not going to say photoperiod is the only variable.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
this is funny in that we have two threads , one talking about all the chasing going on, one declaring it hasnt started yet.

so as in all things deer , it just depends.

no more deer than i am seeing i propose they are "locked down". LOL.

l

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm about 10 miles or so from Boondock and no signs of chasing here yet although I have a few pictures of some big boys tickling horns two days ago so it's getting close!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The 7pt I killed yesterday had been grunting off in the distance. About 15 minutes after I last heard him I saw a doe slip through the pines to my left. I was sitting in a chair watching a new skidder path where they had thinned the pines. He wasn't chasing her at that point but he was certainly trailing by a few minutes. I had seen a 4 pt that morning head up trotting around looking for does.